Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Hmm, hasn't been a lot of Olympic talk coming out of Toronto this week. Must be preoccupied with some other issue.

Well, they're trying to build a good foundation of an argument to bid for the Olympics, but apparently there were some cracks in that foundation.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Good news for Toronto?

Montreal's Interim Mayor Michael Applebaum was arrested by Quebec province's anti-corruption squad Monday morning, according to the Montreal Gazette.

Investigators said in a press conference that the mayor faces 14 charges of fraud, conspiracy, breach of trust, collusion and corruption in municipal affairs connected to two real estate deals dating back to 2006.

Suddenly a little crack smoking doesn't seem so bad.

Good news for Toronto?

Montreal's Interim Mayor Michael Applebaum was arrested by Quebec province's anti-corruption squad Monday morning, according to the Montreal Gazette.

Investigators said in a press conference that the mayor faces 14 charges of fraud, conspiracy, breach of trust, collusion and corruption in municipal affairs connected to two real estate deals dating back to 2006.

Suddenly a little crack smoking doesn't seem so bad.

This has what to do with Toronto?

• Like 1

Didn't know where to post this but:

Toronto and Montreal will co-host the 2015/2017 World junior hockey championships

MTL will host preliminary round and TOR the medal round in 2015. Then it reverses in 2017 with MTL getting medal round and TOR preliminary.

Toronto, Montreal to co-host 2015, 2017 world juniors: Report

Canada's two largest cities will co-host both the 2015 and 2017 world junior hockey championships.

Toronto and Montreal are about to be unveiled as the co-hosts, according to areport from The Hockey News.

Hockey Canada has called a news conference for Thursday where it will "announce that a major event will be hosted by these cities."

Calgary and Edmonton shared hosting duties in 2012, the 10th time the event was held in Canada since its inception in 1977.

Ufa, Russia, was this year's host. Malmo, Sweden, takes over in 2014.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting design out there that could be used by Toronto is that of KSS/Farshid Moussavi Architects for their entry into the Japan National Stadium in Tokyo

Here both the stands and the ends of the building move to create a rugby/football/athletics venue without compromising any viewing. The seats, stands and pitch can all move providing a remarkable legacy - if the capacity can be downsized from say 80,000 seats to 40,000 seats then it would be a great home for the Argonauts but allow Toronto to easily host future events such as the Commonwealths, World Athletics Championships and be easy to convert to a future NFL team

http://www.kssgroup.com/projects/japan-national-stadium.php

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So the Expo bid might be back on -___-

Yeah what's up with that? I saw it on CP24 this afternoon. There was no mention of an Olympic bid as part of that feasibility study. But the Federal government doesn't want to stay apart of the World's Fair since they want to be removed. I doubt the Feds support an Expo bid.

I really think Expo wouldn't be a good fit for Toronto, or any developed democratic city. Their heyday has well and truly passed - this started to occur almost immediately after Montreal '67 --- respective events in Vancouver '86 and Brisbane '88 were nowhere near as successful - not to mention the failures of Knoxville and New Orleans in the US. Toronto should also pay very close attention to Hannover 2000, with Germany being the most recent example of a comparable nation hosting the event.

The reason for this decline is the ever increasing levels of communications rendering the event redundant. I'm sure it would cost as much as an Olympics - and require impressive amounts of civil engineering, but I'd tell Toronto to stay on track for an Olympics, even if it is my personal belief that we wont see a Toronto Games before the 2030's at the earliest... I think its wise to stay on course and not bother with Expo. There is a reason it attracts bids from only the developing world and a handful of bankrupted European small towns (eg/ Spain). Toronto should leave Expo to the Izmirs and Zaragoza's of the world.

I really think Expo wouldn't be a good fit for Toronto, or any developed democratic city. Their heyday has well and truly passed - this started to occur almost immediately after Montreal '67 --- respective events in Vancouver '86 and Brisbane '88 were nowhere near as successful - not to mention the failures of Knoxville and New Orleans in the US. Toronto should also pay very close attention to Hannover 2000, with Germany being the most recent example of a comparable nation hosting the event.

The reason for this decline is the ever increasing levels of communications rendering the event redundant. I'm sure it would cost as much as an Olympics - and require impressive amounts of civil engineering, but I'd tell Toronto to stay on track for an Olympics, even if it is my personal belief that we wont see a Toronto Games before the 2030's at the earliest... I think its wise to stay on course and not bother with Expo. There is a reason it attracts bids from only the developing world and a handful of bankrupted European small towns (eg/ Spain). Toronto should leave Expo to the Izmirs and Zaragoza's of the world.

Actually I think the "decline" occurred around 1988, when Brisbane held the Expo. That was the start of a new era in Expos that placed heavy focus on nation branding. And while I would rather prefer Toronto to bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics, the World Expo's aren't a bad thing, I can imagine other cities in Canada being able to host it. It is a shame though that Edmonton lost that chance when the Harper government decided to not help fund for the 2017 Expo.

• 2 weeks later...

2024 is still there for you. The Pan Ams will be fresh, & will help you against Europe & Africa. Even if you don't win it, you'll have shown to the IOC that you're serious, & any flaws picked up on in the 2024 bid can be ironed out so you can go all-out to get 2028.

Toronto and the USA should continue. Both bids are not dead.

Yeah they're not dead. That's for sure. Both countries would be contenders, how strong of a contender is yet to be determined without knowing how serious some European cities intentions would be. If the USA bids with a 3rd tier city, then yes, they don't have a good chance.