Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Totally agree that Tokyo 2020 kills North American chances at 2024. I do think South Africa would still be competitive amongst the Europeans though.

Of course SA will be competitive in that situation. I dont think it would be as competitive if Istanbul wins 2020 because of the whole 3 new frontiers in a row thing, especially if Rio is a gongshow; not that I expect it to be bad anyways.

Of course SA will be competitive in that situation. I dont think it would be as competitive if Istanbul wins 2020 because of the whole 3 new frontiers in a row thing, especially if Rio is a gongshow; not that I expect it to be bad anyways.

Hmm. I'm not sure Durban is significantly stronger or weaker either way. If Istanbul wins there's the 3 new frontiers in a row issue. But if Tokyo wins, you're asking Europe to go 3 cycles without hosting. Neither situation is perfect, but I'm not sure either one is insurmountable either. I think South Africa will be competitive no matter what as long as they don't jump the gun and bid before they are really capable.

. I think South Africa will be competitive no matter what as long as they don't jump the gun and bid before they are really capable.

That's the thing. Is Durban capable of hosting such a complicated event like this? The World Cup was different. Your spreading responsibilities across a whole country versus one city for a SOG. I'm inclined to believe it is still too early for Africa to host. It would be a logistical nightmare and financially speaking, I'm not even going to go into detail with that one.

Hmm. I'm not sure Durban is significantly stronger or weaker either way. If Istanbul wins there's the 3 new frontiers in a row issue. But if Tokyo wins, you're asking Europe to go 3 cycles without hosting. Neither situation is perfect, but I'm not sure either one is insurmountable either. I think South Africa will be competitive no matter what as long as they don't jump the gun and bid before they are really capable.

The way you put it, SA chances don't really look all that great either way. I think there best shot might even weigh upon Madrid winning. That way Europe isn't as big of a favourite, a new frontier is possible again, and it could become a showdown between NA and SA. I think SA chances may hinge upon Rio's performance though.

I just strongly suspect the IOC will go to Africa next chance they get. I think South Africa knows that too and that's why they're being cautious. Madrid would be best for SA and North America. I don't think anything can neutralize South Africa though, apart from the South Africans themselves. If they aren't ready, I don't think they'll bid. If SA bids, in my opinion, anyone who bids against them is playing with fire.

Paris is not really much less of a problem if they bid. Madrid neutralizes them, but Im not sure Istanbul does, even with 2022 in Europe.

No matter how you slice it North America really has to hope that neither Durban, nor Paris bid for 2024. Otherwise it's a real long shot and the North American bids will most likely be reduced to trial runs for 2028 or 2032.

I guess so....

Toronto will chase its elusive Olympic dream yet again.

Bob Richardson, the well-connected organizer behind Toronto’s successful Pan-Am Games bid, told The Globe and Mail that he’s assembling a campaign aimed at bringing the 2024 Summer Olympics to the Golden Horseshoe.

If Tokyo wins yea. Unless Rome or Berlin or Madrid bid too, which they may.

Can see Madrid or Rome bidding but cant see them winning in there economy would rather Paris.

Paris v Durban

Either way I can see Paris winning. Tokyo would help benefit Paris and Istanbul would. I can't see 3 new frontiers if Istanbul wins unless Rio NAILS 2016. Go paris

I guess so....

Bob Richardson, the well-connected organizer behind Toronto’s successful Pan-Am Games bid, told The Globe and Mail that he’s assembling a campaign aimed at bringing the 2024 Summer Olympics to the Golden Horseshoe.

Yea Him I wouldn;t be surprised.

I guess so....

I would like to see Tim Lieweke, the new guy at MLSE head the bid. We might also see Paul Godfrey and John Bitove play a role again like they have in the past.

I think the IOC has got it down to a science now -- with significantly more clout in the preparations. Knowing the slackers like Athens, the IOC seems to load their supervisory-liaison 'overisght' committees with very impressive names who make sure the various OCOGs deliver on time. They even bring the 'observer' status of the incoming OCOGs earlier than before so that the core of OCOG staffers are brought on at least 2 Games before. So, so like PC observers will have already shadowed THREE OGs (London, Sochi and Rio) by the time their turn comes. Whereas before, up to 2000, I think they brought in observers from the next Games for only the immediately preceding Games. So, it is just up to the local populace to fill in the enthusiasm card.

2022 Commonwealth Games should go to RSA in 2015, which is scheduled to be after the intention to bid for 2024.

It would be a good 'warm-up' run for Durban 2024. If they go for it, then we'll know they are serious for 2024.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It would be a good 'warm-up' run for Durban 2024. If they go for it, then we'll know they are serious for 2024.

Does the city have the resources to prepare for 2022 CWG and then 2024 Olympics? I think not. They would struggle with one now were bringing two into the equation. It's one or the other

Does the city have the resources to prepare for 2022 CWG and then 2024 Olympics? I think not. They would struggle with one now were bringing two into the equation. It's one or the other

I think the other key question.. would the IOC award Durban an Olympics if they're still 5 years away from a Commonwealth Games. That seems like a risky proposition.

More like after the last 45 years we need something.

Really? You guys feel that neglected as a country & don't account 1988 & 2010 for meaning anything? Don't think the IOC would view that the same way.

I'm officially jumping on the Toronto 2024 bandwagon. After last night, the city needs something.

The 2015 PanAms don't account as 'something'?

Really? You guys feel that neglected as a country & don't account 1988 & 2010 for meaning anything? Don't think the IOC would view that the same way.

I think he was referring to the Maple Leafs' loss to the Bruins. As was zeke. Apparently winning the vote to host an Olympics (4 years from now) is what the city needs after that hockey game last night.

Uhmmm...Rio staged PanAm 2007 before winning 2016 in 2009. Brazil is hosting WC 2014 and in two years, Rio 2016. So what's so strange about RSA/Durban doing it? They did an excellent job with WC 2010. Why can't they do it again? As a matter of fact a CWG 2022 would be an impetus to get a majority of venues in Durban ready, even maybe half an Olympic Village. And then all of it would get another use in two years' time. Perhaps only the newer venues not built for the CWG would get their test events in 2023. So to me, Durban would be doubly battle-tested by the time 2024 rolled around, and RSA and the city would've gotten at least two uses for all the venues by the time 2024 and Paralympics 2024 roll around. I don't think the IOC could ask for a better scenario.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Uhmmm...Rio staged PanAm 2007 before winning 2016 in 2009. Brazil is hosting WC 2014 and in two years, Rio 2016. So what's so strange about RSA/Durban doing it? They did an excellent job with WC 2010. Why can't they do it again? As a matter of fact a CWG 2022 would be an impetus to get a majority of venues in Durban ready, even maybe half an Olympic Village. And then all of it would get another use in two years' time. Perhaps only the newer venues not built for the CWG would get their test events in 2023. So to me, Durban would be doubly battle-tested by the time 2024 rolled around, and RSA and the city would've gotten at least two uses for all the venues by the time 2024 and Paralympics 2024 roll around. I don't think the IOC could ask for a better scenario.

You forgot Russia, also hosting a World Cup and an Olympics in fairly close proximity to each other.

That said.. I'm not sure a battle-tested Durban is what the IOC is looking for. Sure Brazil has a World Cup and an Olympics, but that's different from a single city hosting 2 large scale events. We've seen cities need every last bit of the 7 year lead up to be ready for an Olympics. Even if you mitigate that factor by saying you'll have built venues for the CWG, that's still 5 years out of that prep time Durban would be focused on another event. To say nothing of the fact that the vote for the 2022 CWG host comes in November of 2015, right around when the IOC is accepting applicants for the 2024 Olympics. So Durban's focus and resources may be elsewhere right around when they have to start thinking about the Olympics.

Remember also.. the IOC is the organization that basically told Turkey they shouldn't even bid for Euro 2020 if they wanted their Olympic bid to be taken seriously. I know 2 events in the same year is different than 2022/2024, but I'm with dave. I think it's less than automatic that they would go for both events 2 years apart.