Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

"The nice and reasonable games"

Madrid 2020 is already using that one, & it's likely not going to get them anywhere.

The city offers way more than a narrative of "We want to be the first country to host in our poor continent".

This seems bordeline offensive. I certainly won't work that into the campaign.

• Like 1

I think they should work on their current strengths such as stressing the attractiveness of being such a major city that can provide a Summer Olympics focused on the water. I can't remember any host city in memory that would essentially have such a big chunk of its venues centred around its waterfront. It's a bonus that Toronto's waterfront is located right in its bustling, and extremely vibrant downtown area. You can't compete with the narrative that Africa will be giving so like I said Toronto needs to improve on their current strengths and bring it to the next level and go with it. Stay consistent with its message. The city offers way more than a narrative of "We want to be the first country to host in our poor continent".

What's Toronto's narrative then? They need more than to promote themselves as a beautiful location to host an Olympics. If Toronto's bid is focused on water, let's hear how you can beat the torch lighting from Sydney. Let's hear how you can beat the use of water in Athens' Opening Ceremony (yes, I know what kind of can of worms I may have just opened there). The narrative of a pretty much any bid city needs to be focused on what the Olympics can do for a city and what the city can do for the Olympic movement. London answered that question by revitalizing a part of the city. Beijing and China answered that question with the number of medals they've won the past 2 Olympics. Putting the Olympics in South Africa says to an entire continent that they're an important part of the Olympic movement. That's what that would mean to the IOC.

If this were a competition where the city with the best technical bid wins, we'd be talking about Toronto 2008 instead of a possible Toronto 2024. But that's not how it works. Toronto needs to focus on their strengths and it's a good sell to the IOC, but they also need to acknowledge that it may not be what the IOC is looking for.

COC choef says "what the country needs most is a summer olympic games," and "there won't be any trouble woth terrorism." With two such obviously ridiculous, overbown, cliched comments, he should resign that position and run for wizard of Oz or perhaps mayor of Disneyland.

So, if Toronto 2024 bid is a reality what do you think Toronto should do to improve its narrative besides an excellent technical bid to make it compelling?

In 2008 it was pretty much a game by athletes for the athletes and it obvious wasn't enough to match the Juggernaut that was Beijing and China. If Toronto go ahead with 2024 our possible opponents will be Durban/South Africa, the last frontier for the IOC; Paris and their Centennial, and USA the biggest market for the IOC.

What narrative direction should Toronto go for?

Compact, Compact, Compact! Or in French: Compact, Compact, Compact!

Compact, Compact, Compact! Or in French: Compact, Compact, Compact!

Is a compact game a top priority? Rio won 2016 despite being the least compact bid. That's not to say Toronto shouldn't focus on a compact bid, they absolutely should but this alone won't be THE attraction imho.

It was a joke.Compact being the same word in English and French.

They should focus on a compact bid like 2008, anything less would be a weaker bid than 2008. The furthest venue should only be a Football Preliminaries venue in Montreal's Olympic stadium, a nod to Canada's first games and the closeness as compared to other comparable cities.

This bid will also play the experience card, as well as the multicultural card. Of course it won't be on compact alone. But that will be a strong technical point.

If you're up against Durban the waterfront idea certainly won't be a trump card.

Yeah, & then throw in the City of Lights & perhaps the Eternal City, & a 2020 loser or two, & then that waterfront idea just becomes a part of a bid from one of the bid cities.

Yeah, & then throw in the City of Lights & perhaps the Eternal City, & a 2020 loser or two, & then that waterfront idea just becomes a part of a bid from one of the bid cities.

Rome? Really? I highly doubt Rome will throw there hat in the ring.

Durban, Toronto, Paris and Istanbul and maybe USA?

I can't see Madrid bidding for a fourth consecutive time. And I think Tokyo will win 2020.

5 cities + doha. it'll be more interesting then 2020 race hope for more cities.

Rome? Really? I highly doubt Rome will throw there hat in the ring.

Durban, Toronto, Paris and Istanbul and maybe USA?

I can't see Madrid bidding for a fourth consecutive time. And I think Tokyo will win 2020.

5 cities + doha. it'll be more interesting then 2020 race hope for more cities.

Rome has already voiced an intention to bid. Obviously many early declarations never come to fruition, but I think this one will. Rome wants the Games and has been trying since 2004. If the government hadn't pulled the plug, they'd definitely be contenders right now.

I can see Istanbul or Tokyo bidding again. Maybe even Madrid. Although I originally voted Tokyo, I may have to change my prediction to Istanbul. I think they're looking good to host 2020. We'll have to see what the Evaluation Report says. If all things are more or less equal, I think Istanbul will win.

I just don't see Toronto rising to the top of a potentially crowded field. I think that's a big ask for the US as well, though they don't have the Vancouver baggage.

It would think that a Tokyo 2020 win would be encouraging to a U.S. & Canadian bid. Because it would then look like the IOC isn't all about new-frontiers, & they chose a technically sound plan, & not only from a country that's already hosted, but from a city that's already hosted at that.

Right now, London City Hall is calling Istanbul "the hot favorite" to win the 2020 Games. If that's the case, I can't see why the IOC would stop there then. They'll want to check off the true, final-frontier after that at their first opportunity to do so.

It would think that a Tokyo 2020 win would be encouraging to a U.S. & Canadian bid. Because it would then look like the IOC isn't all about new-frontiers, & they chose a technically sound plan, & not only from a country that's already hosted, but from a city that's already hosted at that.

Right now, London City Hall is calling Istanbul "the hot favorite" to win the 2020 Games. If that's the case, I can't see why the IOC would stop there then. They'll want to check off the true, final-frontier after that at their first opportunity to do so.

No, a Tokyo win will mean that 2024 will almost certainly go to a European city. The IOC will not go three straight games away from Europe. An Istanbul win would not guarantee a 2024 win for a European city. Also, Istanbul winning would essentially be two new frontiers in a row. Idk if the IOC wants to do that three straight games and go to Africa. They may want to see a more traditional country host in 2024.

If the IOC perhaps doesn't want 3 new frontiers in a row, as you suggest, then maybe they'd want to save the new frontier card & go to a 'traditional' host now. Especially since Rio 2016 has yet to prove themselves. The 2024 vote is in 2017, a year after Rio 2016.

If the IOC perhaps doesn't want 3 new frontiers in a row, as you suggest, then maybe they'd want to save the new frontier card & go to a 'traditional' host now. Especially since Rio 2016 has yet to prove themselves. The 2024 vote is in 2017, a year after Rio 2016.

That's what I said.

You said that the IOC may not want 3 new frontiers in a row, & may want a 'traditional' host in 2024. I'm suggesting the opposite, if that's the case. The IOC may want to save the new frontier card & use it for 2024 instead, & choose a traditional host for 2020, since Rio 2016 is still up in the air.

You said that the IOC may not want 3 new frontiers in a row, & may want a 'traditional' host in 2024. I'm suggesting the opposite, if that's the case. The IOC may want to save the new frontier card & use it for 2024 instead, & choose a traditional host for 2020, since Rio 2016 is still up in the air.

Oh ok i misunderstood you/