Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Does Toronto really need the PanAms to prove that they can "strutt it's stuff". Toronto has made the short-list once for 2008, & for 1996 was still in the game since the short-list process didn't exist back then.

I don't think that Toronto (nor Canada in general) needs to prove anything regarding it's capabilities. It's record should speak for itself. They've hosted 3 Olympic Games already & the 2008 IOC Evaluation Commission deemed Toronto as "capable of hosting the Games". So the IOC knows already that they can do it. Rio (& Brazil) OTHO, needed to prove themselves first, & the 2007 PanAms were that final assurance for the IOC.

The PanAms haven't made Winnepeg anymore capable, nor desirable, for an Olympic Games. Too much emphasis is being put on the 2015 PanAms in this case. Since as most of us here already know, it takes more than just 'capabilities' to land an Olympic Games. Capability is the least thing that Toronto needs to worry about.

• Like 1

Does Toronto really need the PanAms to prove that they can "strutt it's stuff". Toronto has made the short-list once for 2008, & for 1996 was still in the game since the short-list process didn't exist back then.

I don't think that Toronto (nor Canada in general) needs to prove anything regarding it's capabilities. It's record should speak for itself. They've hosted 3 Olympic Games already & the 2008 IOC Evaluation Commission deemed Toronto as "capable of hosting the Games". So the IOC knows already that they can do it. Rio (& Brazil) OTHO, needed to prove themselves first, & the 2007 PanAms were that final assurance for the IOC.

The PanAms haven't made Winnepeg anymore capable, nor desirable, for an Olympic Games. Too much emphasis is being put on the 2015 PanAms in this case. Since as most of us here already know, it takes more than just 'capabilities' to land an Olympic Games. Capability is the least thing that Toronto needs to worry about.

Yes Toronto does need the PanAms. Canada has shown that it is capable of hosting Winter Games and Pan Am games recently, however Toronto 2015 will be the largest multi-sport event in Canadian history in terms of events and athletes, bigger than 1976 in Montreal. Canada, and especially Toronto, has not yet been tested like they will be tested in 2015. Obviously Toronto and Canada in general can sustain an event like the Olympics, but these games further cement that claim and give the country a well needed dry run for an Olympic Games.

zekekelso, on 03 May 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

Oh please. I can't image anyone seriously doubting that Canada and Toronto can host (if they want to). That's a no brainer.

The only question is whether anyone wants Toronto to host. They are capable, efficient, but kinda blah.

That is a bit blunt, but more or less sums up my feelings on Toronto. It somewhat reminds me of Tokyo in that way. Toronto is an exciting city, and while I haven't been, it is a city I've always wanted to visit and heard nothing but great things about (...like Tokyo), but there is something about the idea of the Olympics there in the immediate future that doesn't float my boat. It would likely be the most capable city in the Americas (perhaps a title shared with Los Angeles - although Toronto is a far superior city than L.A. in a general way) but that still doesn't excite me as much as Chicago, NYC or Philly would. Maybe in for the 2030's I'll feel differently.

The COA just needs to ignore the Winter Olympics for the next decade, and not be tempted by it. If Vancouver had lost 2010, I think Toronto could have beat Rio for 2016. I don't think it could have held its own against Paris and London for 2012 (although it certainly would have been shortlisted), but I think 2016 might have actually happened.

Edited by runningrings

The COA just needs to ignore the Winter Olympics for the next decade, and not be tempted by it. If Vancouver had lost 2010, I think Toronto could have beat Rio for 2016.

Nah, it was Rio's time. They lobbied very well & were playing the sentiment card very hard. Canada still would've had two Olympic Games under their belt compared to South America's zero Games.

That infamous "Olympic map" the Rio bid team took everywhere they went still would've delivered the "gaping hole" message that it's finally South America's time. Rio was really the Beijing of the 2016 race.

Not to mention, JAS' pandering & meddling for Madrid that surprisingly got them to the final ballot with Rio even though continental rotation was so against Madrid 2016 right after London 2012.

That is a bit blunt, but more or less sums up my feelings on Toronto. It somewhat reminds me of Tokyo in that way. Toronto is an exciting city, and while I haven't been, it is a city I've always wanted to visit and heard nothing but great things about (...like Tokyo), but there is something about the idea of the Olympics there in the immediate future that doesn't float my boat. It would likely be the most capable city in the Americas (perhaps a title shared with Los Angeles - although Toronto is a far superior city than L.A. in a general way) but that still doesn't excite me as much as Chicago, NYC or Philly would. Maybe in for the 2030's I'll feel differently.

The COA just needs to ignore the Winter Olympics for the next decade, and not be tempted by it. If Vancouver had lost 2010, I think Toronto could have beat Rio for 2016. I don't think it could have held its own against Paris and London for 2012 (although it certainly would have been shortlisted), but I think 2016 might have actually happened.

The COC is headed by a person from..... Quebec City. So that is going to be extremely hard to do :lol:

I think if Toronto had been in the 2016 bid race (assuming that they were never going to host the 2015 Pan American Games or the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics), they would have always been compared to the bid from Chicago, which is in the same general region.

You'd have a strong Chicago bid from a superpower nation like the US, and an even stronger Toronto bid from a not so superpower of a nation like Canada.

It would have been Rio's anyways as it was Rio's time.

I don't think the Olympics isn't coming back to Canada anytime soon. And it would be another edition of the Winter Olympics because of the athletic results from Vancouver.

It will probably be a summer games before another winter one.

I don't think the Olympics isn't coming back to Canada anytime soon. And it would be another edition of the Winter Olympics because of the athletic results from Vancouver.

I don;t think the games are coming to Phili anytime soon either. :P

In all seriousness the COC is probably committed to get a summer games first before a Winter Games. Canada hosting a winter games in the next 20 years is not going to happen. That leaves only the USA in the Americas to host.

In all seriousness the COC is probably committed to get a summer games first before a Winter Games. Canada hosting a winter games in the next 20 years is not going to happen. That leaves only the USA in the Americas to host.

Dont forget Guadalajara hahahaha

Hosting the Summer Olympics in 2024 is too soon for Canada. They need to wait another decade to start bidding again. Apparently the IOC wants to spread things out a bit.

I'm from Philadelphia and we are an underused city. I know the region like the layout of my own house and I know for a fact Philadelphia is capable of hosting the Olympics. Obviously they need to "work out the kinks" but if the city won. Go to my discussion post if you want to post your thoughts. this discussion is about Canada hosting again. I know for a fact you guys can knock another Vancouver 2010 excitement again...Yanofsky's song was brilliant and Bilodeau's gold medal moment was one of the best Olympic memories ive ever witnessed. still have mixed feelings over Crosby though...I didn't mind that Canada took the hockey gold, i was pissed Crosby finished the job cuz we have to deal with that baby every year lol.

Canadian Olympic chief would back Toronto 2024 bid

VANCOUVER - The Canadian Olympic Committee said on Friday it will back a possible Toronto bid for the 2024 Summer Olympics ahead of a potential Quebec City bid for the 2022 Winter Games.
"There is no doubt, no doubt that what the country needs most is a Summer Olympic Games," COC chief Marcel Aubut told Reuters ahead of the organisation's Sochi media summit this weekend.
"Toronto is going to deliver a great 2015 Pan Am Games and it should be the first step in going higher for the Olympics like Brazil did.
"If not we are going to look again at the Winter Games and Quebec is a very good possibility but the first goal is to convince people to go with Toronto in the Summer."
Until securing the 2015 Pan Am Games, Toronto had never hosted a major multi-sport event and Aubut feels establishing a sporting infrastructure in Canada's most populous city is key to improving the country's future performance in Summer Olympics.
Canada has previously hosted the Winter Games in 1988 (Calgary) and 2010 (Vancouver) and staged the Summer Games in 1976 (Montreal).
If Toronto does bid for the 2024 Games it will likely face a strong challenge from the United States, which has not hosted a Summer Olympics since 1996 in Atlanta.
Having mended fences with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) following a bitter revenue-sharing dispute the U.S. appears ready to make another run at hosting an Olympics after stunning rejections for the 2012 and 2016 Games.
Los Angeles, which has twice hosted the Games, has expressed interest in hosting the 2024 Olympics while Philadelphia and Tulsa are believed to be among several other cities exploring the possibility of throwing their hats into the ring.
With Summer Games having been held in Athens (2004), Beijing (2008) and London (2012), headed to Rio de Janerio for 2016 and with Tokyo, Madrid and Istanbul finalists for 2020, there is strong sentiment that the Summer Olympics will return to North America in 2024.
Rome, Paris, Doha, Dubai and Durban, South Africa, are also believed to be ready to test the Olympic waters but Aubut maintains that IOC would welcome a Toronto bid.
"There won't be any political problems, there won't be a problem with terrorism. They love Canada. It's close to America. They love our country," said Aubut, a lawyer and former president of the National Hockey League's Quebec Nordiques.
"I can tell you what people think of our country and it is all positive, that is why I believe the IOC in Lausanne they dream to have a country like Canada hosting the Games.
"But we have to make sure the interest is there, the government support is there."
While a bid committee has not yet been formed, Toronto has called for study to examine the possibilities of hosting the 2024 Games.
Toronto, ranked North America's fourth largest city behind Mexico City, New York and Los Angeles, will host the 2015 Pan American Games in what many view as a dress rehearsal for an Olympic bid.
Rio used the game plan to great success hosting the 2007 Pan Am Games before landing the 2016 Summer Olympics.
"Each time we have done that, in Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver we delivered the goods and more," said Aubut, recently re-elected to a second four-year term as COC president.
"The Pan Ams will also deliver the goods and then they will see the place is safe and that sport is a passion for Canadians and also they will see the country can deliver.
"It is the perfect plan.
"A Pan Am Games close to the Olympic level then you have chance to FIFA, the Olympics, you have a chance to get everything you want after that."

The logic should be simple. Another 2008 style approach. If Toronto loses 2024, then that should automatically give the go ahead for Quebec 2026.

Alternatively, we could have Toronto 2024, then Quebec 2026, Toronto 2028 and Quebec or Calgary for 2030.

I think given a new 18,000 seater arena, coupled by the passable 15,000 seater Quebec Coliseum (which will unfortunately be horrid for Figure Skating/Short Track, which it will be destined to host), as well as several other existing venues such as:

The Speed Skating Oval - 10,000, fully indoors

St. Romuald Arena - Curling, 4,300

The Youth Pavilion - Ice Hockey II - 5,000

Canadian Forces Base - Biathlon

Stoneham - Snowboard

Mont-Saint-Anne - Freestyle Skiing, Alpine Skiing, Cross Country Skiing

Le Massif - Alpine Skiing

The venues needed to be built are:

Stoneham - Sliding Center, Ski Jumps

Men's Downhill skiing course

Ceremonies venue - Although a 45,000 temporary amphitheater at The Plains of Abraham sounds nice, its a perfect opportunity to get a legacy 45,000 seater (temporary expansion to 60,000) stadium for the city.

Laval University's PEPS facility could now be for full use by athletes and officials, as it will not be proposed to host events. This will also be the site of the Olympic Village.

The Expo site built as a legacy from the 2002 bid will (with perhaps a temporary or permanent expansion) serve the IBC, with the convention center downtown serving MPC.

It would never be as strong as Vancouver 2010 was (nor would Quebec 2010 have been) but it will be stronger than 2002.

I think it would be wise for the COC to consider Toronto first, then offer it to Quebec afterwards.

So, if Toronto 2024 bid is a reality what do you think Toronto should do to improve its narrative besides an excellent technical bid to make it compelling?

In 2008 it was pretty much a game by athletes for the athletes and it obvious wasn't enough to match the Juggernaut that was Beijing and China. If Toronto go ahead with 2024 our possible opponents will be Durban/South Africa, the last frontier for the IOC; Paris and their Centennial, and USA the biggest market for the IOC.

What narrative direction should Toronto go for?

I think they should work on their current strengths such as stressing the attractiveness of being such a major city that can provide a Summer Olympics focused on the water. I can't remember any host city in memory that would essentially have such a big chunk of its venues centred around its waterfront. It's a bonus that Toronto's waterfront is located right in its bustling, and extremely vibrant downtown area. You can't compete with the narrative that Africa will be giving so like I said Toronto needs to improve on their current strengths and bring it to the next level and go with it. Stay consistent with its message. The city offers way more than a narrative of "We want to be the first country to host in our poor continent".

I think they should work on their current strengths such as stressing the attractiveness of being such a major city that can provide a Summer Olympics focused on the water. I can't remember any host city in memory that would essentially have such a big chunk of its venues centred around its waterfront. It's a bonus that Toronto's waterfront is located right in its bustling, and extremely vibrant downtown area. You can't compete with the narrative that Africa will be giving so like I said Toronto needs to improve on their current strengths and bring it to the next level and go with it. Stay consistent with its message. The city offers way more than a narrative of "We want to be the first country to host in our poor continent".

In my venue plan every single venue plan would be in the city of Toronto with the furthest just being outside the downtown core.

Toronto can also push the rejuvenation storyline London did. The Portlands has sat empty for what 60+ years the Olympics would help to "complete" the waterfront and skyline and fix up a dead part of the city.

In my venue plan every single venue plan would be in the city of Toronto with the furthest just being outside the downtown core.

Toronto can also push the rejuvenation storyline London did. The Portlands has sat empty for what 60+ years the Olympics would help to "complete" the waterfront and skyline and fix up a dead part of the city.

Yes, legacy wise, Toronto would be a poster child for their legacy and renewal claims.

It would be a beautiful scene to broadcast events close to the water. It definitely would be a great atmosphere for spectators and athletes to experience.

Ya and if we could fix the f/cking joke that is the gardiner.

That **** is too costly to tear down..lol

The waterfront concept is great but I don't think it's THE trump card Toronto needs to have in its hands also. Is a scenic waterfront concept more compelling or close to compelling as what other cities can come up with? I really don't know.

I feel Toronto needs something along the line of what olympicsfan97 said ON TOP of the technically excellent compact waterfront plan and the legacy of cleaning up the Portlands. The diversity of Toronto, a metropolis where every nationality can be found (I think I read that somewhere), home game for every nation, the living success story of the Olympic ideal that different ethnicity and race come together and building a peaceful community. Make the IOC think coming to Toronto is the same thing as padding themselves on the back... we all know how the IOC likes to do that LOL.