Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Well you ARE building Toronto's Olympic stadium from scratch, why not go with the number proposed in 2008? 100,000?

I don't think Montreal's Olympic Stadium can go beyond 65,000 in football mode.

Sydney 2000 had Brisbane up north, Melbourne down south, Canberra west of Sydney and Adelaide south-west to supplement the 2 Sydney venues.

It could have gone with Perth, but they chose not to do so. What I'm saying is the football tournament does not need to be compact, athletes for that event end up staying in hotels throughout the competition wherever they're held, regardless of where they're held. It's the same for the World Cup etc, so why couldn't it apply for the Olympics too? It's not too long a flight or problem to transport such athletes.

Football is 66,000 it has been corrected.

80,000 is a realistic number. 100,000 to be sold out day after day in a city that is 3 million smaller then London might be pushing it. It all depends on what the bid committee descides on.

Is Olivia Chow against a bid? Looks like she might be the next mayor. You would NOT want Rob Ford anywhere near an Olympic bid.

I think she would be open to anything. What a better person then Chow to show the IOC the diversity of the city.

This was in the Toronto Sun today:

5. Still on the matter of plans, it’s time to formalize Toronto’s offer to host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Bidding for the host city will begin in 2015, with the winner to be announced in 2017 at the 129th IOC Session.

Sure, Toronto has been down this road before with losing bids for the 1996 and 2008 Summer Olympic Games. Tell that to City Hall. On June 8, 2012, councillors voted overwhelmingly in favour of a 2024 Olympic bid and sought a staff report on the matter.

The study is expected by March and could build on Toronto’s successful bid for the 2015 Pan American Games.

• Like 2

I think she would be open to anything. What a better person then Chow to show the IOC the diversity of the city.

5. Still on the matter of plans, it’s time to formalize Toronto’s offer to host the 2024 Summer Olympic Games. Bidding for the host city will begin in 2015, with the winner to be announced in 2017 at the 129th IOC Session.

Sure, Toronto has been down this road before with losing bids for the 1996 and 2008 Summer Olympic Games. Tell that to City Hall. On June 8, 2012, councillors voted overwhelmingly in favour of a 2024 Olympic bid and sought a staff report on the matter.

The study is expected by March and could build on Toronto’s successful bid for the 2015 Pan American Games.

Great! Thanks for posting that tidbit. I can't wait until we get more solid details on Olympic bid preparations in the coming months.

Well Jack Layton was a strong opposer of Toronto's 1996 bid.

Well Jack Layton was a strong opposer of Toronto's 1996 bid.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-reading/jack-laytons-olympic-history/article4352039/

Well idk I'd like to think if council votes for it she would support it.

But then again she might not win.

I have a gut feeling Dalton McGunity will run

Edited by intoronto1125

I actually think Olivia would be less inclined to support an Olympic Bid then she would be to support it. Being a longtime political watcher she tends to be on the left of the party and although it was an NDP government in BC, the premier was much more centrist than is the current leadership there now. My guess is she would probably oppose it, but I don't know what goes on in her mind, or if she even is going to run for Mayor, but that's just my guess just being on what I've seen in the past.

I actually think Olivia would be less inclined to support an Olympic Bid then she would be to support it. Being a longtime political watcher she tends to be on the left of the party and although it was an NDP government in BC, the premier was much more centrist than is the current leadership there now. My guess is she would probably oppose it, but I don't know what goes on in her mind, or if she even is going to run for Mayor, but that's just my guess just being on what I've seen in the past.

She is the front runner regardless and likely will win even if the election is 2014. Unless a candidate from left field arises.

The question is would she go against the majority of her city council? That's if she runs and is elected as Mayor. Let's say she's not a big supporter of this nor a big opponent against it. If she's in the middle, she will most definitely back it if the majority of her staff want the city to pursue the bid.

• 2 weeks later...

How Rob Ford is portrayed in American media (actually, he's pretty much ignored in the mainstream media, but here's something form the muckraking online media):

http://gawker.com/5978975/the-best-of-torontos-insane-terrible-mayor-rob-ford-an-introduction-for-americans

Though I like what he has accomplished (by balancing the books) there have been so many negative attention around him its crazy to vote for him next time around.

Though I like what he has accomplished (by balancing the books) there have been so many negative attention around him its crazy to vote for him next time around.

He will probably get re-elected next go round

He isn't as horrible as most anti-Ford people make him out to be. Ford just needs to learn from his mistakes and move forward. He ain't my favourite mayor but I will say he is doing his job and he works hard.