Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

Another cool shot taken from the CN Tower

469483_324041824323089_164814753579131_935741_1464010149_o.jpg

It does have similarities to Dubai, a very high perspective, but really in Toronto's case its just one tower platform, but it really reminds me of an old picture I always see of Dubai.

It seems like Toronto can win, but choosing the right time would make it more fun for everyone.

If it's a skyline issue then the winner is Chicago! The city's skyline is perfect! I remember the first logo of 2016 bid with the skyline and the lake forming an Olympic torch! San Francisco's is beautiful as well, but that lake in Chicago... simply perfect!

As I said there is no way of judging skylines. Each city's is unique and different.

To think about it I don't think any of the venues being built (for the Pan Am Games) except the field hockey venue will be used as a venue for an Olympic bid.

To save on venue costs I'm guessing the Veledrome will be used. And most of the Pan Am venues will be used as training facilities which Toronto currently lacks (ie. Aquatic Centre) and I'm sure they'll get some use out of the new stadium at York

To save on venue costs I'm guessing the Veledrome will be used. And most of the Pan Am venues will be used as training facilities which Toronto currently lacks (ie. Aquatic Centre) and I'm sure they'll get some use out of the new stadium at York

Nope a new veldrome will be needed. Milton is too far flung. Maybe the aquatic centre is used for water polo, diving and synchro. Besides mountain biking, canoe slalom and eventing all other venues have to be in the 6km downtown zone.

Nope a new veldrome will be needed. Milton is too far flung. Maybe the aquatic centre is used for water polo, diving and synchro. Besides mountain biking, canoe slalom and eventing all other venues have to be in the 6km downtown zone.

Can Ontario really support and fun 2 Veledrome's? That's the question.

fund*

Well the venue for 2008 was supposed to be a multi-use facility (having also hosted Judo in the Olympics like Montreal 1976) post Olympics.

Given that Melbourne has a permanent 4,500 seater velodrome, which when temporary is added, turns into a 10,500 seater arena. In addition to this, we have a minor velodrome in the suburbs which seats 1,000, for regular national track cycling use. The arena-velodrome is only converted to it's velodrome mode for major events.

I think Toronto could do something like this, but if necessary, it can be temporary.

• Like 1

Well the venue for 2008 was supposed to be a multi-use facility (having also hosted Judo in the Olympics like Montreal 1976) post Olympics.

Given that Melbourne has a permanent 4,500 seater velodrome, which when temporary is added, turns into a 10,500 seater arena. In addition to this, we have a minor velodrome in the suburbs which seats 1,000, for regular national track cycling use. The arena-velodrome is only converted to it's velodrome mode for major events.

I think Toronto could do something like this, but if necessary, it can be temporary.

And Velodrome's aren't necessarily massive - they are only about 7000 seats max.

A venue like Glasgow where the Velo can be turned into an indoor athletics venue by lifting the velodrome track to the ceiling is a clever way of making it multipurpose

• 2 weeks later...

Does the proposed Markham Arena strengthen a Toronto bid?

1334524433226_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Less than 30km from Port Lands it provides another major arena to go alongside the Ricoh Coliseum, The Rogers Center, the ACC and the Direct Energy Centre - as the Palau Sant Jordi has shown a major indoor arena can be converted in a temporary acquatics centre

Does the proposed Markham Arena strengthen a Toronto bid?

1334524433226_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=650x

Less than 30km from Port Lands it provides another major arena to go alongside the Ricoh Coliseum, The Rogers Center, the ACC and the Direct Energy Centre - as the Palau Sant Jordi has shown a major indoor arena can be converted in a temporary acquatics centre

I don't think so. It has no purpose considering all the arena based sports would be downtown.

I think the idea of sticking cauldrons on existing structures is just tacky, same as the *ring of fire* concept people kept boning on about in the lead up to Vancouver.

Keep it classy.

Design an ace cauldron or smaller cauldron tower, dont just whack a flame on top of the resident observatory tower in the city.

Instead, think of some neat ways to incorporate the landmark in the general urban design of the Games, like Sydney did with their sculptures on the Sydney tower.