Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I don't really understand its current appeal, I've only been there 2 times and all I saw was cement, aging post brutalist architecture, and it was hard to find defining points in the city.

What are the exciting physical parts of Toronto to the IOC?

p.s. I am in love with everything about Vancouver.

Edited by paul

I don't really understand its current appeal, I've only been there 2 times and all I saw was cement, aging post brutalist architecture, and it was hard to find defining points in the city.

What are the exciting physical parts of Toronto to the IOC?

p.s. I am in love with everything about Vancouver.

I'd get a refund from your tour company.... its not the Toronto I saw.

......I will admit I was there on business, and those are the areas I love to see when I travel, as much as more adventurous exploring. It all tells a story of the cities attitude. I was not bored nor was I excited, it was a draw and lots of cement. I'd visit again if I have business but I never understand the comparison to Chicago in any way, oh I guess they are both sort of there in that area.

I wish both cities much more success and cheers to your obvious Olympic future.

To note; I love brutalist style, Calgary is stunning. Perhaps Toronto needs some towering mountains on the primiter. Toronto needs some new tall buildings.

No one really would think these 2 skylines compare would they? Proportion and camera distance alone are not Toronto's biggest problem, it's just not doable. And of course Toronto is a wonderfully exciting city structure.

The most exciting thing about NY skyline is its constant rebirth and the near future, it's inspirational.

It's quite rich comparing NYC to Toronto. That's like comparing it to London, Paris or even Tokyo, which its not. If we're gonna be disingenous to compare Toronto to New York, then I'm sure other cities definitely can be compared as well. Chicago's skyline is definitely more dynamic N larger than Toronto's. Athensfan posted some stunning pictures of the city in one of the other 'future bid' threads. But to some here, that still doesn't mean anything. So I don't see how some pretty pictures of Toronto would make any bit of difference in the grand scheme of things.

Its don't think its possible to compare skylines. Some have a very small compact area (like Toronto) and very large areas (Chicago). Although Toronto's skyline is going through a serious redevelopment with the most skyscrapers under construction besides Dubai.

@Potatochips What Dave199 was asking when he said can any other city offer this he meant can any city offer their waterfront as a sailing venue. For the Pan Ams sailing will be the closest venue to the athletes village, an almost unheard of thing in multi-sporting events.

This will be the skyline in 2014:

Credits:3Dementia over at UT

TorLife-futureToronto.jpg

Intoronto, I think that diagram is old too. The Trump tower is already constructed and that image is obviously computer generated. Plus there are many new buildings that will be constructed in the Yorkville area (The Holt Renfrew Tower & Cumberland Terrace Tower, etc.) around the 280m, I'm betting the Holt Renfrew tower later on applies for a height increase(like the Aura Tower did during construction) to over 300m making it the first Supertall in the city besides the CN Tower.

The fact is that you can find beautiful photographs of almost any city on earth. Photos give a bit of flavor and help educate people (my goal with the Chicago pics in the USA 2024 thread), but ultimately they don't prove much.

It is true, however, that Toronto has it's undeniable charms. I feel no desire whatsoever to dump on Toronto. It's a great city and could host outstanding Olympic Games. Their bid for 2008 is rightly respected and has become a worthy template for many subsequent bids from other countries.

Toronto's problem is timing and their North American neighbor to the south. Any bid the USOC submits will be a high-quality bid. They have been burned often enough that they are not going to offer the IOC something substandard. I believe any US bid for Summer Games will be equal or superior to Toronto. In that situation, given the geopolitical climate and Vancouver 2010, I just can't see the IOC choosing Canada.

The USOC is trying so diligently to make peace with the IOC and the IOC knows it. If the US targets Summer Games (as I obviously believe they should and hope they will), that will block Toronto until at least two cycles after the US has hosted. Choosing Toronto over a highly-qualified American candidate would do too much damage to one of the IOC's most important relationships. Toronto doesn't offer the IOC enough for them to be willing to bite one of the hands that feeds them most faithfully and is trying hard to make friends.

Toronto can win if the US doesn't bid for Summer Games. Or Toronto can win a few cycles after the US hosts Summer Games. Those are the only ways Toronto can win.

No one really would think these 2 skylines compare would they? Proportion and camera distance alone are not Toronto's biggest problem, it's just not doable. And of course Toronto is a wonderfully exciting city structure.

The most exciting thing about NY skyline is its constant rebirth and the near future, it's inspirational.

But then Toronto has the large Port Lands area just to the east of 'downtown' where the IOC can be part of Toronto's skyline