Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I think wherever they plan to hold T&F for the Pan Ams, they should keep in mind a future summer bid using the same venue. Pan Am preps helped Rio tremendously, and it could help Toronto too.

Not necessarily. The most I could see for a future Toronto Olympics is that the athletics venue (which for the Pan Ams is the new stadium in Hamilton, could be upgraded for their CFL side (which probably will) for use as a football preliminaries venue. The new velodrome being built in Hamilton could be upgraded for track cycling. A new aquatics center will need to be built, with the one being built for the Pan Ams possibly being used for Waterpolo preliminaries or something.

A must, would be that Toronto will need to propose a new large 80,000 seater stadium for both athletics and ceremonies, for use by their CFL side post Olympics, ideally convertible for maximum use for both various types of football as well as athletics, though a post athletics to football only conversion is possible.

Using Hamilton as the athletics venue might be possible if it's a joint bid from the two neighboring cities, possibly temporarily upgraded to 60,000. But where would you hold the ceremonies? No doubt a new stadium would be built in Toronto or a temporary site holding at least 60,000, but then again what's the point? Your better off just proposing a new Olympic stadium like the previous bid attempts.

I was thinking that athletics was going to be held in a larger facility, so your logic seems spot on. In any sense, Toronto should be trying to capitalize on as much as they can between the Pan Ams, and a future Olympic bid.

Just curious - How popular is American Football in Canada?

We have our own league and its played at almost every high school I can think of. The Grey Cup is also older than any American Championship. Though, at least in Ontario, the sport is being overtaken by rugby in many areas.

Edited by Faster

I don't think hosting Athletics in Hamilton will quite cut it for an Olympic bid.

They would probably need to build a new stadium in the Olympic Park and possibly downscale it afterwards like with London. Velodrome in Hamilton would probably be ok. Don't know how great the Scarborough aquatics venue will be.

The plan always was to use the new Olympic Stadium for the eminent Toronto NFL franchise.

There seems to be a rumor every year that the Buffalo Bills will eventually relocate to Toronto. If I'm not mistaken, the Bills are scheduled to play at least a few exhibition games in Toronto in the coming years.

There seems to be a rumor every year that the Buffalo Bills will eventually relocate to Toronto. If I'm not mistaken, the Bills are scheduled to play at least a few exhibition games in Toronto in the coming years.

If Ralph Wilson dies though, all bets are off.

If Ralph Wilson dies though, all bets are off.

Doh! I meant when!

When Ralph Wilson dies though, all bets are off.

I don't think hosting Athletics in Hamilton will quite cut it for an Olympic bid.

They would probably need to build a new stadium in the Olympic Park and possibly downscale it afterwards like with London. Velodrome in Hamilton would probably be ok. Don't know how great the Scarborough aquatics venue will be.

Exactly, they would have to plan a new closer one.

the bills are already playing a regular season game in toronto. for this coming season they'll be playing the bears for their regular season game. its their third regular season game in toronto. for pre-season game t'll be against the colts in august.

the bills are already playing a regular season game in toronto. for this coming season they'll be playing the bears for their regular season game. its their third regular season game in toronto. for pre-season game t'll be against the colts in august.

I'm gonna switch from one type of football to a different type...

With the MLS going to Vancouver and then possibly Montreal, what are the chances of the MLS taking up residence in Toronto?

We have our own league and its played at almost every high school I can think of. The Grey Cup is also older than any American Championship. Though, at least in Ontario, the sport is being overtaken by rugby in many areas.

Really? I didn't realise rugby was growing in popularity in Canada. I assume rugby union, as opposed to rugby league too.

Do you ever think we could see a RWC in North America? Perhaps co-hosted by Canada and the USA?

Uhh... isn't MLS already in Toronto with Toronto FC?

bmo1.jpg

Really? I didn't realise rugby was growing in popularity in Canada. I assume rugby union, as opposed to rugby league too.

Do you ever think we could see a RWC in North America? Perhaps co-hosted by Canada and the USA?

bmo1.jpg

A Rugby World Cup co-hosted by both America and Canada would be interesting, expect a venue format that has 6 American and 6 Canadian venues.

As such, I'd be expecting:

American Venues:

- Any major stadium up north, near Canada, such as those in Seattle, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston etc. Include New York and the Capital, Washington D.C. No venues in the lower half of the US.

Canadian Venues:

- Mostly at the lower part of Canada, expect Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton, Winnipeg or Regina, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal.

As a result, everything, even in the US, will be officially bilingual. All announcements, all signage, all official documents will be in English and French.

Due to it's close border with Windsor, Ontario, Detroit, if selected would be officially considered as core Rugby World Cup city. Heck, a Detroit selection could consider itself as Detroit-Windsor for the RWC, even if Windsor doesn't really add anything.

To avoid, favoritism, have the opening and closing matches at the capitals, as opposed to the largest cities, perhaps have the opening game at a new 40,000 odd seater at Ottawa, and have the closer at 100,000+ FedExField at Washington DC.

• 3 months later...

Ceremonies: Toronto National Stadium - 80,000

Archery: new venue

Diving: new venue

Swimming: new venue

Synchronised Swimming: new venue

Water Polo: new venue

Athletics: Toronto National Stadium - 80,000

Badminton: National Trade Centre

Basketball: Toronto Centre - 19,800

Boxing: CNE Coliseum

Canoe/Kayak Sprint: Toronto Regatta Centre

Canoe/Kayak Slalom: Twelve-Mile Creek, St. Catherines

BMX: new venue

Mountain Biking: Hardwood Hills

Road Cycling: Downtown Toronto

Track Cycling: new velodrome at National Trade Centre

Equestrian: North Caledon Equestrian Centre

Fencing: Metro Toronto Convention Centre

Field Hockey: new venue

Football: Toronto National Stadium - 80,000, National Soccer Stadium - 21,000, Hamilton Stadium - 40,000, Ottawa Stadium - 35,000, fourth venue to be determined

Golf: undetermined venue

Artistic Gymnastics: SkyDome - 60,000

Rhythmic Gymnastics: SkyDome - 60,000

Trampolining: SkyDome - 60,000

Handball: National Trade Centre

Judo: Metro Toronto Convention Centre

Modern Pentathlon: National Soccer Stadium, National Trade Centre

Rowing: Toronto Regatta Centre

Rugby 7s: National Soccer Stadium - 20,000

Sailing: Olympic Sailing Marina

Shooting: new venue

Table Tennis: National Trade Centre

Taekwondo: National Trade Centre

Tennis: National Tennis Stadium - 12,500

Triathlon: Atakoy Marina

Beach Volleyball: new venue

Indoor Volleyball: National Trade Centre

Weightlifting: Molson Amphitheatre - 16,000

Wrestling: National Trade Centre

One of the major advantages of a North American Olympics is that the local sports teams can plan accordingly when those Olympics actually come. And they have seven years to do so.

I believe the same situation came up during the Vancouver Olympics. The Canucks were on the road the opening weekend of the Olympics. In 1996, Baseball's Atlanta Braves were on the road for two weeks, in 2002, the NBA's Utah Jazz were also nomads for two weeks. I would guess that same applied to Dodgers and Angels in 1984. In Toronto's case, the Blue Jays would be on the road for two weeks.

If Toronto was to make a bid for the Winter Olympics, then the Maple Leafs and Raptors would be nomads.

Toronto won't be bidding on the Winter Olympics...ever! There isn't a mountain anywhere in Ontario that could ever meet the requirements for Alpine events. In fact, the whole of Canada east of Alberta has that problem. Outside of BC and Alberta, there is only a single exiting ski hill(Le Massif just outside of Quebec City) that has a chance of hosting the men's downhill. And even that hill is about 30m shy of the required 800m vertical drop.

Toronto's ambitions are for the Summer Olympics. And the Raps and Leafs don't play in July or August.

Toronto won't be bidding on the Winter Olympics...ever! There isn't a mountain anywhere in Ontario that could ever meet the requirements for Alpine events. In fact, the whole of Canada east of Alberta has that problem. Outside of BC and Alberta, there is only a single exiting ski hill(Le Massif just outside of Quebec City) that has a chance of hosting the men's downhill. And even that hill is about 30m shy of the required 800m vertical drop.

Toronto's ambitions are for the Summer Olympics. And the Raps and Leafs don't play in July or August.

I don't think that user was being serious about a Winter bid. From what I understand, they were just mentioned the other sporting teams had it been for a Winter Olympics.