Toronto?

LuigiVercotti

I'd guess the deadlines for applicants will be mid-to-late 2011. Don't know if the IOC's set the firm deadline dates yet.

Quite honestly, I think Toronto should sit it out for 2020. Too soon after Vancouver, it'd be too soon for the Americas after Rio. But be prepared to jump anytime from 2024 onwards.

I see 2020 as between Europe, South Africa (if they can "do a Rio" and put together a satisfactory technical bid) and maybe a couple of Asian cities, Tokyo being the most likely.

Vancouver + Rio means I can't see Toronto winning. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Quebec City says they will be bidding for the 2022 Winter Olympics. The new COC president will be from Quebec. Hmmmm, let's see if the COC approves another Winter Olympic bid now instead of a Toronto Summer Olympic bid.

Give Quebec their shot. If Quebec fails, then try for Toronto in 2024 or 2028.

I think Toronto would be foolish to put in a bid for 2020. If Quebec City puts a WOG bid in 2022, that might insight a U.S. WOG (I don't know). Although, 12 years after Vancouver seems too soon for another WOG.

My hope is that the U.S. can wait to put in a solid SOG bid for 2028.

I just think it would be really stupid on the COC's part to put forth a Winter Olympics bid for 2022. We just hosted the Winter Olympics for gods sake!!!!! Shouldn't we focus on a Summer Olympics now that Vancouver has hosted. It just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I'm not sure if the new COC President has an agenda coming into that position to make sure Quebec City or Montreal(lol..yeah I know!!!) are pushed for future Olympic bids over a Toronto Summer Olympic bid. Quebec favouritism you might call it. I guess we'll see where he stands if he ever makes a public statement what his focus would be in regards to any future bids for Canada.

Calgary did have a desire to bid again if Vancouver was to fail.

Either path means that 2020 for the Americas is unlikely. Pyeongchange you have Europe and Africa, Munich/Annecy you have Asia and Africa. The latter being the most likely situation to give the games to Cape Town.

Calgary did have a desire to bid again if Vancouver was to fail.

Either path means that 2020 for the Americas is unlikely. Pyeongchange you have Europe and Africa, Munich/Annecy you have Asia and Africa. The latter being the most likely situation to give the games to Cape Town.

I meant Calgary Summer Games, not winter.

Munich can't hog all the fun.

In my opinion, it's pretty clear that the next three games go to Europe, Africa and Asia in one order or another. Why:

- The European dominated IOC brings the games back to Europe every 2nd to 3rd cycle. That means 2020 or 2024 is Europe's

- The IOC is unlikely to deny a South Africa bid, unless the World Cup goes awry. That means 2020/4 is South Africa's if they bid

- By 2028, it will be 20 years since an Asian Games, and more than 60 years since a Japanese SOG. So, at the latest Tokyo gets 2028.

So, the earliest date for a feasible North American bid is 2032. So, Toronto should probably do a warm-up bid for 2028, and then go all out for 2032.

In my opinion, it's pretty clear that the next three games go to Europe, Africa and Asia in one order or another. Why:

- The European dominated IOC brings the games back to Europe every 2nd to 3rd cycle. That means 2020 or 2024 is Europe's

- The IOC is unlikely to deny a South Africa bid, unless the World Cup goes awry. That means 2020/4 is South Africa's if they bid

- By 2028, it will be 20 years since an Asian Games, and more than 60 years since a Japanese SOG. So, at the latest Tokyo gets 2028.

So, the earliest date for a feasible North American bid is 2032. So, Toronto should probably do a warm-up bid for 2028, and then go all out for 2032.

I would most certainly say Europe will host in 2020 or 2024. However, to me it is not certain that BOTH Asia and Africa will host before a North American host. I think depending on what cities win in 2020 and 2024, 2028 is a good year for a strong American bid. I do think that having two new frontiers back to back is quite risky, but one could make the argument against that since the IOC selected Athens and Beijing back-to-back, both were kind of like new frontiers in their own right.

By 2028, it would have been 32 years since N. America hosted a SOG. That is the second longest drought after LA 1932/Montreal 1976 = 44 years. Now certainly some IOC members will lump North and South America together, but it is kind of an unknown how the IOC will react to future bids.

The only thing clear to me at this point is that the USOC needs to regroup, and make real strides improving their relationships/influences in the IOC. Toronto will no doubt be the U.S.'s biggest contender for a future Olympic bid, but if the USOC puts in a Winter bid for 2022 or 2026 (and wins), it would most definitely open the door for a 2028 or 2032 Toronto victory. The U.S. then won't host a SOG until 2040 at the earliest. I will be 56 by that time!

Yeah, but if most of the IOC membership truely lumps North & South together as the 'Americas', then the 'drought' has already been taken care of with Rio.

True, but we just don't know that yet. I would hope that North and South America would be viewed more like Asia and Oceania (strictly time zone considerations), instead of simply "the Americas".

If the IOC tries to say that they "are the same", then Rio's primary talking point "the Games have never come to South America" is a bunch of garbage. Then I could just say, well, the Games have come to "the Americas" 12 times already...

We all know how the IOC like to bend things around when it suits them. We shouldn't take anything they say or do as sacred. It could be all about semantics anyway; the Americas' have hosted a total of 6 Summer Olympics, but never one in 'South' America. Even Jacques Rogge called it a 'Sub-Continent' when Rio was getting ready to sign the Host City contract.

Not saying it's not at all plausible, but like some here like to state that Rio didn't do South Africa any favors for 2020 in the New Frontier category, Rio also does the same for a North American candidate (if there is one) for 2020 in the Americas' category. Doesn't necessarily hinder, but doesn't help either.

Not saying it's not at all plausible, but like some here like to state that Rio didn't do South Africa any favors for 2020 in the New Frontier category, Rio also does the same for a North American candidate (if there is one) for 2020 in the Americas' category. Doesn't necessarily hinder, but doesn't help either.

Yep, that's pretty well the basic ground rules for 2020. Nothing's totally off the table, but South Africa and North America start with a handicap.

Edited by Sir Roltel

I think the likely event will be 2020 goes to Europe and 2024 goes to Africa. Then NA and Asia will duke it out for 2028. Spoiler could be that the French may wants to have 2024 in Paris as a 100 year anniversary and will do everything to prevent an European win in 2020, in that case Toronto would have a very good chance.

I'd say Toronto should go for it in 2020 but don't expect to win, and take the pity votes to win it in 2024!!! Unless Quebec City decide to be in 2022 and take the pity votes instead like Vancouver 2010...

I really hope I can see a Toronto SOG before I get too old... I will be in my 50s after 2030's...

Toronto has lost 2 bids already. We aren't going to enter anything unless we have some assurances we will be taken seriously.

It's funny how so many OC's have that sentiment in throwing in another bid. The IOC can't promise a piece of cake to everyone...