New Zealand v British and Irish Lions

:ooh: GOOD GRIEF!!

Was that a Lions team playing against the Manawatu in Palmerston North last night???

British and Irish Lions 109

Manawatu [/b]6

Hey everyone the Lions are here. :wwww:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just hope the Lions won’t use this as an excuse for the rest of the tour, I doubt Woodward would though; he isn’t one to make excuses.

No, he's not. But it will be in the background for the rest of the tour.

I just hope the Lions won’t use this as an excuse for the rest of the tour, I doubt Woodward would though; he isn’t one to make excuses.

No, he's not. But it will be in the background for the rest of the tour.

:( Yeah sadly it's going to be THE lowlight of the tour and during the 2017 tour it will be reminded of again.

Seven personnel and four positional changes for the Lions for Saturday's second Test in Wellington.

Gavin Henson and new skipper Gareth Thomas make a new pairing at centre, with Shane Williams coming in for Thomas on the left wing. Jonny Wilkinson moves to flyhalf with Stephen Jones dropping to the bench.

In the forwards, Steve Thompson replaces Shane Byrne at hooker, while Deon O'Callaghan replaces Ben Kay in the second row. We also have a whole new back row with Simon Easterby, Lewis Moody and Ryan Jones coming in for Richard Hill, Neil Back and Martin Corry.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to make of it. I don't think Woodward does panic, but this looks to be pretty close to it.

Seems pretty darned close to panic from Sir Clive

Gareth Thomas at outside centre? Has he ever played there? I'm sure I've only seen him a wing or FB.

Shane Williams? Still reckon he's too small, but I'll happily eat my words if he scores a couple of tries against the ABs

Good to see Henson in, should have played in the first test. Once BOD went off (Why do we have citing commissioners if they don't do anything, btw?), the Lions didn't have a creative Plan B.

It'll be interesting to see how Jonny gets on with Peel ... individually great players, but how often have they played as a unit together?

The pack? Hard on Corry, and even as a passionate supporter of the Irish rugby team, I'd be hardpressed to claim Easterby is better than Corry at blindside. Lewis Moody is not a worldclass open side, but then Sir Clive didn't take Jonny O'Connor with him!!

Good to see an all Munster second row, but I'd question the choice of Steve Thompson as hooker ... it seems the problem in the first test was that SCW decided to change all the lineout calls at the last minute, so why then choose an all Irish second row with an English hooker who can't throw anyway? Stick with the Mullet!!

Anyway, let's pick who the ABs are going to spear tackle in the first minute and put out for the whole season!! My money's on Henson

Anyway, let's pick who the ABs are going to spear tackle in the first minute and put out for the whole season!! My money's on Henson

It wasn’t a spear tackle, get over it

Seems pretty darned close to panic from Sir Clive

Gareth Thomas at outside centre? Has he ever played there? I'm sure I've only seen him a wing or FB.

Shane Williams? Still reckon he's too small, but I'll happily eat my words if he scores a couple of tries against the ABs

Good to see Henson in, should have played in the first test. Once BOD went off (Why do we have citing commissioners if they don't do anything, btw?), the Lions didn't have a creative Plan B.

It'll be interesting to see how Jonny gets on with Peel ... individually great players, but how often have they played as a unit together?

The pack? Hard on Corry, and even as a passionate supporter of the Irish rugby team, I'd be hardpressed to claim Easterby is better than Corry at blindside. Lewis Moody is not a worldclass open side, but then Sir Clive didn't take Jonny O'Connor with him!!

Good to see an all Munster second row, but I'd question the choice of Steve Thompson as hooker ... it seems the problem in the first test was that SCW decided to change all the lineout calls at the last minute, so why then choose an all Irish second row with an English hooker who can't throw anyway? Stick with the Mullet!!

I'm fairly sure I've seen Thomas play at centre for Wales but, as you say, he is better known at wing or full-back. Shane Williams had to play after Tuesday. There would have been riots in Wales if he hadn't.

I'm pleased to see Henson come in and I'm also pleased to see Wilkinson where he should be at 10. I think he and Peel have played together on the tour, so I'm not too concerned about that.

As for the pack, my main concern, I suspect like you, is about Thompson. Even during the World Cup final, his throwing-in was dodgy. He may give you more in other areas, but Byrne is the better number 2 for me.

In the back row, I don't know what Martin Williams has done wrong. He should be in there at 7 with Lewis Moody at 6.

It wasn’t a spear tackle, get over it

So what was it then? Face it, your guys took O'Driscoll out and if we'd done the same to Howlett or anyone else, you'd be talking about it.

So what was it then? Face it, your guys took O'Driscoll out and if we'd done the same to Howlett or anyone else, you'd be talking about it.

His upper body wasn’t driven into the ground, if his legs were above his shoulders when he hit the ground then It was a spear tackle, it was the way he landed. Yeah It was a dangerous tackle but this is rugby, #### happens, you move on. But the British media have been totally childish about it.

So you expect us to accept our skipper being taken out of the series inside 60 seconds do you? No way! If it had been Howlett or any other All Black, you'd be talking about it and don't try to deny it.

The fact is that you got away with it, like you did in the first Test of 1993. What is it about the All Blacks and referees in the first test of a series?

:D Hey guys, did you knoe there's a test match on tomorrow night in Wellington?

"Lets all float on..."

So you expect us to accept our skipper being taken out of the series inside 60 seconds do you? No way! If it had been Howlett or any other All Black, you'd be talking about it and don't try to deny it.

The fact is that you got away with it, like you did in the first Test of 1993. What is it about the All Blacks and referees in the first test of a series?

Hey I'm not denying It was a dodgy tackle and yeah it must hurt to have your captain taken out but you have to get over it. I mean the All Blacks have been labelled thugs buy the British media, Irish Coach and O'Driscoll was winging about Tana not publically apologizing on TV. It’s like you think it was intended to take him out of the tour. To me it looks like Britain is just harping on about this to take the thing of the fact that they got slaughtered last saturday. It’s done, It’s over, bring on the 2nd test.

If there is one thing I really despise, it is being patronised.

COME ON THE LIONS - revenge will be ours.

LOL no one is patronising you. Revenge? It was an accident, accidents don’t warrant revenge.

:D Hey nzolympic...

I Dare You To STREAK Accross The Ground Tonight At The Game!!!.

Good Luck AB's

:wwww:

:D Hey nzolympic...

I Dare You To STREAK Accross The Ground Tonight At The Game!!!.

Good Luck AB's

:wwww:

Only if Gavin Henson tackles me to the ground  :;):

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

ALL BLACKS 48 - 18 BRITISH IRISH LIONS

What a match, for both teams. This is the Lions team we should have seen in Christchurch. They played with passion, they wanted this but they were just out classed buy our mighty All Blacks. That match showed the vast gulf in skills and athleticism between the two sides. Indeed the two hemispheres. Hats off to the lions, they started of magnificently. Dan Cater, man of the match, no man of the tour. Over all great performance. Umaga was right up there, so too McCaw and Kelleher, showed there is life after Justin Marshall. The fact that the All Blacks can still bring in 2 tries in the last quarter really shows the athleticism of this team.

Wellington really put on a show tonight, the atmosphere was electric and a lot of that was the thousands of lions supporters in the 40,000+ crowd. I don’t think I have ever heard so many people sing the NZ national anthem at a sports event.

:DKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABO

OOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

See Ya Clive!

New Zealand All Blacks48

British & Irish Lions 18.

...What else can you say?

New Zealand once again showing the world how to peak before the biggest event of all, methinks.  :laughlong:

Seriously, though, it was a much better performance from the Lions. We should have been 10-0 up before you got on the board and, if we had been, who knows? We gave away a couple of silly penalties, which didn't help, but it was the two tries either side of half-time that killed us.

Very reminiscent of the third Test in 93, when it was close for 40 minutes and the All Blacks then ran away with it.

New Zealand once again showing the world how to peak before the biggest event of all, methinks.  :laughlong:

LOL Oh you have seen nothing yet BRING ON PARIS 2007

:D Yes PARIS home of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games???? :;):

We'll find out shortly...of course the Rugby Sevens will be installed by then.

Haven't New Zealanders been saying similar things before the last four World Cups?

Haven't New Zealanders been saying similar things before the last four World Cups?

:D ...And haven't England's Football supporters been saying the same thing since Nineteen Hundred and Sixty whatever??? :wwww:  :wwww:

The mid-week Lions leave NZ with a 100% winning record

B & I Lions 17

Auckland 13

This win also ends Auckland's winning streak over the Lions.  

Now Eden Park will be rejigged for the final act in what must now be a career ruining test series for Clive Woodward.

Archived