New Zealand v British and Irish Lions

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight it's Otago, and the weather dosen't look all that great.

This will be the Lions last hard work out before next Saturday as Southland will be a walk over.

Hot and sunny in the UK today and tomorrow. Summer has arrived. Hallelujah!

:D Enjoy the two weeks!! :P  :wwww:

Will that encourage you to get up early and watch the game at your local??

Two weeks? Two dry days then it chucks it down more like.

If I turned up at my local at that time of the morning to watch the rugby, the cleaner would throw me out. Radio Five for me, if I get to sleep early enough because of the heat.

Still, this game doesn't matter. Next Saturday matters.

How did the Lions look to you today? I see Otago are being a little bit sour.

Otago captain brands Lions cheats

I thought you said the Otago game didn't matter!

Anyhow Clive Woodward is getting people wound up here with his typical "I'm English and I rule the World" upper class snotty attitude towards everyone.  Can't wait for one of our utterly mad drivers to run him in his luxury Ford... ohh sorry...Jaguar, off the road.

The tourists I've met usually say that they're from Ireland, Scotland or Wales, or if they have to, "Up North" which of course is League country.

Great to see the fans starting to arrive in plane loads now, will make a spectical this Saturday.

Opposition sour grapes are always nice to see, no matter what level of sport we are talking about.

Nice to hear Sir Clive's doing his bit for diplomacy in New Zealand. Hardly surprising when you consider who's got the press officer's job for this trip, though.

These people from 'up north' can't be into league very much then.

I'm sure Miss Church won't be too happy as it looks like Henson won't play in the first Test.

:) We were all expecting a blood bath but Southland sure worked hard to hold the tourists back.

...Now for Saturday....

:) Christchurch is now overflowing with Rugby supporters.

The largest fleet of, what we call in NZ, campervans ever assembled in the country is now on the move.   An annoyimg note is the heavy hand tactics of the Canterbury police force,  many fresh off the plane Lions supporters are taken aback by being breath tested the moment they leave the Airport.

Christchurch is using this event as a test for a future CWG and Winter Olympic bids.  Making sure the city can cope with a sudden influx of tourists putting strain on facilities etc...

That does sound rather heavy-handed. Are they expecting an influx of hooligans or something?

Well I guess they can’t take any chances, there is that stereotype of the British sports hooligan but on the news they were just letting the fan know the laws. One thing I saw on the news last night made me crake up, there were people handing out black tissues to the lion’s supporters as they were exiting the airport and saying “your gona need that tissue come Saturday”  :laughlong:

That does sound rather heavy-handed. Are they expecting an influx of hooligans or something?

:) NZ has always been paraniod of sports Hooligans and the constant pictures,and doco's, from England showing a well orchestrated movement of neo-nazi like football activists tearing up the place are not a good image.

Even after the constant reminders that Lions Rugby fans are not (IMO will never be) the same mold, the police are taking no chances.  Mainly it's the drinking and driving thing that's the worry.

I doubt if Zara Phillips and William Wales are likley to go on a bender here anytime soon...(lucky Harry isn't here).

:wwww: KABOOOOOM :wwww:

New Zealand All Blacks 21

British and Irish Lions 3....yes that's right, 3

Nuff Said!!! :P

Hmmm, not sure I quite go along with that.

Do the All Blacks now make a point of taking out the opposing captain inside the first minute?

:) Would've the Lions?.. Given the same chance?

Would we have taken Umaga out? I like to think we wouldn't have done so, but I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't happen.

I'm not disputing the fact that we were poor today. The first try, for instance, was absolutely shocking. If your only score is a sole penalty, there's something up. My point is that losing such an influential player, especially the skipper, so early must have had a great impact on the team.

Now, we have problems. There are selection issues at centre, in the second row and at number 6 going into next week. Frankly, I fear that if we lose in midweek, this tour could come off the rails big time. But, if we win, that could just galvanise the squad.

I'm not going to write these guys off, but I think only a fool would not accept that there isn't plenty of work to do before next Saturday.

Would we have taken Umaga out? I like to think we wouldn't have done so, but I'm not naive enough to think it couldn't happen.

I'm not disputing the fact that we were poor today. The first try, for instance, was absolutely shocking. If your only score is a sole penalty, there's something up. My point is that losing such an influential player, especially the skipper, so early must have had a great impact on the team.

Now, we have problems. There are selection issues at centre, in the second row and at number 6 going into next week. Frankly, I fear that if we lose in midweek, this tour could come off the rails big time. But, if we win, that could just galvanise the squad.

I'm not going to write these guys off, but I think only a fool would not accept that there isn't plenty of work to do before next Saturday.

:) The Lions squad is HUGE even an All Black squad has never been that big. Surely there is enough talent to call on, although losing Laurence early was probibly the biggest blow.

The Lions will get back up with a game tomorrow against the Manawatu, although it will be hard as that team now senses blood!

Another thing that we have noticed is the fact that Clive Woodward is all of a suddenly opening up with the press...

Early panic button pushing???   :hmm:

Well you'd be forgiven for thinking that, but Woodward did say on BBC today that we're struggling to put a team out in some areas.

Which brings me to the Grewcock incident. I haven't seen it so have only the player's word to go on when he vehemently denied biting the All Black player. But it does seem strange that the citing officer lets the O'Driscoll injury go and yet hammers Grewcock. Was it that bad?

If not, having seen the tackle that caused O'Driscoll's injury, I want to know what this guy Venter is playing at.

If Grewcock did what they say he did, fair enough. But I cannot accept that that is so much more serious than what happened to O'Driscoll. The New Zealand player will be back next week. O'Driscoll won't be. Where is the justice in that?

By the way, Brent Cockbain of Wales has been called up as a replacement.

...Which brings me to the Grewcock incident. I haven't seen it so have only the player's word to go on when he vehemently denied biting the All Black player. But it does seem strange that the citing officer lets the O'Driscoll injury go and yet hammers Grewcock. Was it that bad?

If not, having seen the tackle that caused O'Driscoll's injury, I want to know what this guy Venter is playing at.

If Grewcock did what they say he did, fair enough. But I cannot accept that that is so much more serious than what happened to O'Driscoll. The New Zealand player will be back next week. O'Driscoll won't be. Where is the justice in that?

By the way, Brent Cockbain of Wales has been called up as a replacement.

:( The more they play the camera angle shot of that "incident", the worse it looks...even for me.

There has been a slowly building up case of disapointment by New Zealand as what Tana Umanga did begins to sink in.

Sadly this resurrects the case that Lions v NZ tours are allways cursed with on and off field incidents.

However The Lions fans are being praised for their exemplery behaviour.  The only black mark is the tragic road smash last Thursday involving a Lions supporter campervan drifting oof the road into an oncomming car kill 18 year old Elizabeth Neels.  The driver, Micheal James Berry, 23, of Swansea pleaded guilty to charges of careless driving causing death and careless driving causing injury.

Driver fatigue was the cause as Berry had just got off his flight in Auckland that morning and was trying to make the evening ferry crossing from Wellington to Picton.

I hadn't heard about that and I am sorry to hear of it. Talking of the Lions fans generally, though, I have to say I didn't expect trouble.

If we return to the rugby, it's interesting that the tide seems to be turning against Umaga after what happened on Saturday. For me, it resurrects memories of 1993 when I think we still feel we were robbed by the referee in that first Test.

Still, there's two games to go and I'm not giving up hope.

Ok, I admit the tackle on Brian O’Driscoll was dangerous but it was not a spear tackle, anyone who has played rugby or has a good knowledge of the game can plainly see that, His head was not driven into the ground, If it was a spear tackle he was have broken his neck. You would think the fact that the Australian video official has gone over the tackle from over 20 different camera angles and still has stated it was not an illegal tackle would be enough. I realise the British are disappointed about the loss but to label the All Blacks as ‘thugs’ is just childish. It's not there All Blacks fault video ref didn’t call for a commission and I can tell you that it WAS NOT a malicious tackle, It isn’t in Tana’s character.    

Yes, they should he seen citing commissioner but not on the charges of a spear tackle. I just hope the Lions won’t use this as an excuse for the rest of the tour, I doubt Woodward would though; he isn’t one to make excuses.

Archived