Closing Ceremonies Details

Woo it looks like there will be ice skating at the closing ceremony, because reportedly 2006 Torino Ice Dance Champions from Russia will be part of the Sochi handover. If they are not performing ice dance in the handover, what can they be doing?

Throwing a football to the spectators a la David Beckham? :lol:

Btw, extinguishing the cauldron inside BC Place = EPIC FAIL

Throwing a football to the spectators a la David Beckham? :lol:

Btw, extinguishing the cauldron inside BC Place = EPIC FAIL

Nah, I think Trevor Linden or Wayne Gretzky is gonna slapshot some hockey pucks into the crowd... :P

As for the cauldron. I'm wondering what they'll do with the internal one. Re-lite it at the beginning of the ceremony? Give Catriona a 2nd chance? Extinguish the outdoor cauldron with one of the Martin Mars waterbombers from Sproat Lake over on Vancouver Island? (I think Flying Tankers was asked to do a flyby or something during the games while they were in Vancouver filming scenes for The A-Team movie in January)

Woo it looks like there will be ice skating at the closing ceremony, because reportedly 2006 Torino Ice Dance Champions from Russia will be part of the Sochi handover. If they are not performing ice dance in the handover, what can they be doing?

Do an "ice dance" on roller-skates?

1. Leading the audience in a singalong of 'The Brave Don Lads'?
  2. Eating borscht and pirogi whilst serenaded by Anne Murray?
  3. Making hot sweet Russian Olympic lurve?

:P:P

Maybe it will be in all French and all about Quebec since they complained so much.

I think this is where many of the musical talents missing from the Opener will show... Michael Buble, Diana Krall, Alanis, Avril, the Canadian Tenors, dare I say Celine?

The flag pole wind thing worked fine at the Victory Ceremony I attended the other night. They raise the Olympic Flag at the start of each ceremony.

As for a third flag pole...don't forget they also raise one for Greece so they will need four. Perhaps they'll add two at the other end of the stadium? That end is currently not in use for the Victory Ceremonies. About 2/3rds of the stadium is unused. A giant curtain and stage block it off. The VCs are held at the end of the stadium where the ice-like City of Glass stage is (the one where the speeches were conducted).

The death of the flame...hmmm, that will be a different one. Maybe projections from the waterfront one? Or just the central part of the cauldron might be present for physical effect?

Why four flagpoles? They need one for the Greek flag, one for the Canadian flag and one for the Russian flag. And they also need those three flagpoles for the final medal ceremony, the one for the men's cross-country 50 km mass start.

I think that they will deploy and relight the full indoor cauldron for the closing ceremony, and after it's extinguished, they will retract all the legs back into the ground. That has never been done before with those hydraulic cauldrons and it would certainly be quite a risk after the failure in the opening ceremony, but it would be a strong symbol, emphasising that the Games have come to an end. And afterwards, they could use the whole stage for the musical performances. They will most probably also show on the videoscreens how the outdoor cauldron is being extinguished, most probably a few seconds after the indoor cauldron is extinguished.

The death of the flame...hmmm, that will be a different one. Maybe projections from the waterfront one? Or just the central part of the cauldron might be present for physical effect?

I think just the central, votive candle-like part will be left for the CC. And as it extinguishes, its little structure will also sink back into the floor...and then the Bacchanalia begins!!

Is there an “open” dress rehearsal for the closing ceremony like the one for the opening? If so, do we know when that’s scheduled to take place?

They usually don't because all the volunteers have already been given their 2 tix; many are still at work at the venues; and remember, BC Place is still functioning as the Awards venue probably until the last night.

Closing ceremony 'will bust a few Canadian myths'

By LINDSAY KINES, Canwest Olympic Team

February 26, 2010 8:40 PM

VANCOUVER — Expect Canadians to have a bit of fun at their own expense in the Winter Olympic closing ceremony Sunday.

Though details of the show remain secret, Vancouver organizing chief John Furlong said Friday that it will be an amusing send-off for some of the word's greatest athletes.

"It will be Canada's way of saying goodbye and thank you," he said. "We will probably poke a bit of fun at ourselves. You will probably come away from the ceremonies knowing a bit more about us than you did if you're not from Canada."

And while the opening ceremony was criticized for the lack of French and ethnic content, Furlong said the Vancouver Organizing Committee has made no changes to Games' finale.

"We will be delivering the show that we've planned for the past two years," he said. "But you will be under no doubt at the end of the show . . . that we are a bilingual country and we celebrate it."

And, just in case anyone misunderstood, Furlong said "the country came together to deliver it — including the province of Quebec."

Furlong gave no hint as to who will perform at the closing ceremony, where the athletes will once again parade into B.C. Place Stadium, the Olympic cauldron will be extinguished and the Olympic flag passed to the city of Sochi, Russia, which will play host to the games in 2014.

The show, he said, will "bust a few Canadian myths" and feature some "amazing" Canadian talent.

"It's likely at the end of the show — especially if you're not Canadian — that you will come face to face with people that you might have thought were from somewhere else."

As to who will be watching from the stands, Furlong said he has heard the same rumours as everyone else that U.S. President Barack Obama might make the trip north to catch the show. But Furlong said nobody on his committee has been able to confirm those reports.

"We've heard on and off again talk from all over the world about different people who might or might not be coming," he said. "I think, like anyone else, these men and women are fans and they're looking at what's going on and making decisions, 'Will I or won't I?' And we'll see what happens."

The identity of Canada¹s flag bearer also remains a source of speculation.

Canada's chef de mission Nathalie Lambert said she and her assistants will make a decision Saturday night or Sunday morning.

"We have a lot of great, amazing athletes on this team," she said. "So it's going to be a tough decision."

Lambert said many people are already suggesting that the flag bearer should be figure skater Joannie Rochette, who won a bronze medal four days after the sudden death of her mother.

"I think we need to respect every single athlete," Lambert said. "There's a lot of great, wow moments that inspired people in different ways, and I think we need to consider everybody."

© copyright © CNS Olympics

According to a piece on EurovisionSportsTV, the ceremony is divided into 3 parts.

One, named "I Am Canadian" I think, is a humorous take on Canada featuring 4 of the country's major comedy exports (my guess is perhaps Russell Peters? Maybe Jim Carrey? Samantha Bee and Jason Jones from the Daily Show?)

He stressed the ceremony is quite funny, and features "3 of Canada's top exports - innovation, talent, and comedy".

Not too sure about the comedy bits...personally I want the entire cultural segment to be an artistic performance. Do we really not have enough culture to the point that we have to use comedy?

Anyhow, Bilodeau is my choice for flag bearer...not to mention he's a cutie!

Chile's athletes, coaches to skip Olympics closing ceremony

The Associated Press

Saturday, February 27, 2010; 10:47 AM

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Chile's athletes and coaches are planning to skip the Olympic closing ceremonies following a magnitude-8.8 earthquake that has devastated their country.

Team spokesman Luis Alberto Santa Cruz said Saturday morning that the athletes and coaches are trying to get home from Vancouver as soon as possible because of the quake.

Chile has three Alpine skiers representing the country at the Vancouver Games. Noelle Barahona, Maui Gayme and Jorge Mandru are all finished competing, so they won't miss any remaining events.

Santa Cruz says that some of the coaches and athletes have been able to reach family and so far, they have found out that their loved ones are fine. Some are still trying to make contact.