Own the Podium backfiring?

Anybody else think our Own the Podium program may backfire on us?

Still early in the games to know for sure, but I just hope it kicks in. Only two medals, and so far no gold.

Go for the gold Canada!

Honestly why don't you do some bloody research before posting nonsense.

1. Jennifer Heil got beat, she was amazing and just got beat. What happened to Richards happens, look at the 4 Americans that have gone down

2. Men's 5000m - not expected to medal and both Makowsky and Morrison set best times at the oval.

3. Men's 1500m short track - not expected to medal, but two top tens including a 4th from Olivier Jean, someone that is so streaky. That fact that he is on is a good sign for his preferred distances. Hamelin also had good results for not being his distance.

4. Women's 500m short track - all 3 Canadian women, all 3 medal challengers, are through

5. Women's 3000m relay - the Canadians comfortably got through and look strong enough to beat the Koreans

6. Jean Phillippe Leguellec's 6th and 9/10 shooting is a very good sign that he has a chance in the pursuit especially with major competitors behind. Not to mention the best result in men's biathlon for Canada

7. Sam Edney finishing 7th, best result for a Canadian ever in men's luge. It is a huge result for the progression of luge.

8. Against a very deep field in the women's 3000m, Kristina Groves wins a bronze over 3 very talented Dutch skaters and her own talented teammates and Germans

9. A highly unexpected gold medal in men's moguls.

So all in all the extra money is having a major impact.

Edited by Faster
  • Like 1

1. Jennifer Heil got beat, she was amazing and just got beat. What happened to Richards happens, look at the 4 Americans that have gone down

2. Men's 5000m - not expected to medal and both Makowsky and Morrison set best times at the oval.

3. Men's 1500m short track - not expected to medal, but two top tens including a 4th from Olivier Jean, someone that is so streaky. That fact that he is on is a good sign for his preferred distances. Hamelin also had good results for not being his distance.

4. Women's 500m short track - all 3 Canadian women, all 3 medal challengers are through

5. Women's 3000m relay - the Canadians comfortably got through and look strong enough to beat the Koreans

6. Jean Phillippe Leguellec's 6th and 9/10 shooting is a very good sign that he has a chance in the pursuit especially with major competitors behind. Not to mention the best result in men's biathlon for Canada

7. Sam Edney finishing 7th, best result for a Canadian ever in men's luge. It is a huge result for the progression of luge.

8. Against a very deep field in the women's 3000m, Kristina Groves wins a bronze over 3 very talented Dutch skaters and her own talented teammates and Germans

And we are only in the 2nd day of competition! Still a lot of medal chances to come! Its only early days skifreak

Happy to see Canada finally break the "no golds at home" curse. It should be a fun ride to see whether Germany, Canada or the U.S. wins the most medals. So far, so good for the U.S., 6 medals in 2 days of competition has far exceeded my prediction of 3 medals. Maybe we can top the 25 overall that I predicted if we can keep this momentum going!

Actually, noticed something interesting on the vancouver2010 website today. Up to this morning, they listed the medal tally in rankings by Golds. Then suddenly later today they shifted it to ranking by total medals. Does this somehow lift Canada up the order somehow?

4. Women's 500m short track - all 3 Canadian women, all 3 medal challengers are through

I really agree with you're post at 100% nuy yhr men's mogul medal wasnt unexpected... Bilodeau was the world reiging champion and he won silver at many events this season... It was a battle between him and beggsmith for a long time. Maybe it's because I'm from Québec but here this medal was "expected" if bilodeau was able to give a great race at the olympics.

Also do not forget the amazing 5th position yesterday in mogul from dufour-lapointe... she is 18 years old.... Own the podium was start only a few years ago and I believe the biggest impact have yet to come....

Actually, noticed something interesting on the vancouver2010 website today. Up to this morning, they listed the medal tally in rankings by Golds. Then suddenly later today they shifted it to ranking by total medals. Does this somehow lift Canada up the order somehow?

Currently not really because canada come's fourth with both ranking (by medal ranking rank 3th but since france have two gold... make it fourth)

But I'M surprise because the IOC take the "gold ranking" and I always hate it because it gave almost no value to silver/bronze..... I prefer number of medals.....

So vanoc will probably have to change it again to "by gold medal" later on in the games... unless IOC officials change the rule for Vancouver 2010, hopefully.

I really agree with you're post at 100% nuy yhr men's mogul medal wasnt unexpected... Bilodeau was the world reiging champion and he won silver at many events this season... It was a battle between him and beggsmith for a long time. Maybe it's because I'm from Québec but here this medal was "expected" if bilodeau was able to give a great race at the olympics.

Also do not forget the amazing 5th position yesterday in mogul from dufour-lapointe... she is 18 years old.... Own the podium was start only a few years ago and I believe the biggest impact have yet to come....

Yea I guess I did forget Chloe.

But the expected medalist for most people were Dale Begg-Smith, Jesper Bjoernlund and Guilbaut Colas. Bilodeau and Marquis were home course dark-horses.

Edited by Faster

I think they were taking into consideration the silvers and bronzes, too.

The majority of Canada's stronger medal chances come in the 2nd half of the Olympic schedule.

So you guys need to relax. This program isn't backfiring.

Hence the fact that I said that it's too soon to say.

Edited by Hachiko