Miki Ando would need to suck it up for that to happen. This competition can still go two ways, Korea-Japan-Japan or Korea-Japan-Canada

I think Asada has put enough distance on things that if she skates safe (no quad or triple axel attempts) she will win silver.

saw the skating protocols and ando got -GoE which put her behind the 3. check what i found in another forum. i just realized that a lot of the big skaters aren't able to all types of jumps in their program:
Kim Yu-Na of South Korea, favoured to win gold in Vancouver, does not do a triple loop. The 2008 world champion, Mao Asada of Japan, will attempt two triple Axels - something no other woman does - but she does neither the triple Salchow, nor the difficult triple Lutz. The 2007 world champion, Miki Ando of Japan, does not do a triple flip in her routine. And Mirai Nagasu, the 2010 U.S. silver medalist, does not do a triple Salchow.

of the final flight of skaters only flatt and rochette are doing all jumps. asada needs to have both of her axels fully rotated to be sure of a podium. if she's able to do that she's hard to beat but if not then its very difficult for her to be Yu-Na.

I don't care if she wins a medal. She can finish last, for all I am concerned about the marks. She is a brave, and incredible young woman. I admire her courage, and I pray that she will have the strength to skate well in the free skate on Thursday for her Mom. For that reason alone, she is a champion. Its got nothing to do with results.

i fully agree. she showed not only courage but also determination and spirit when she skated tonight. you can see she's in a lot of pain. i can't believe some people commented (not here on GB) that what she got was a sympathy score when she really did execute it. i'm hoping she have a ball during the free skate.

here's the skate order for the free skate:

Ladies Free Skate - Skate Order

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Russian is so obnoxious and his jumps looked like hell in the long.....not to mention his sleazy excruciatingly unappealing gyrations. ewwwww. p.s. please hit my negative reputation button, I wan

Question: are you Russian? Better question: do you even know why Yuko "defected" to Russia? It's because Japan doesn't have a pairs skating program of any value, and since 1998 her dream has been to w

If they gave a gold for being a douche, Plushenko would have won. Those Russians are a nightmare, such poor sports..........welcome to Sochi everyone!

The fact that Asada is trying two triple axels is a safe bet that she will fall. She falls apart in the long programs by trying to be too daring. Kim showed that good combination jumps are better than one really big jump.

After the short program I expect Joannie to medal because she is so far ahead of the competition. She is skating for one reason, to win that medal to honour her mom's memory and all the work she put into getting Joannie to were she is today, in line for the first Canadian women's medal in 22 years.

Edited by Faster

The fact that Asada is trying two triple axels is a safe beat that she will fall. She falls apart in the long programs by trying to be too daring. Kim showed that good combination jumps are better than one really big jump.

After the short program I expect Joannie to medal because she is so far ahead of the competition. She is skating for one reason, to win that medal to honour her mom's memory and all the work she put into getting Joannie to were she is today, in line for the first Canadian women's medal in 22 years.

for asada its also somewhat of a necessity since she's unable to perform both the lutz and the salchow. w/o the axel she can only the toe loop, flips and loop. of the 3 jumps mentioned the flip is the hardest. she took out the lutz since she constantly flutzes not sure about the salchow since its one of the easier jumps. even yamaguchi had a hard time landing the salchow in competition.

Rochette's already won. The result is secondary--I think everyone agrees about that. Even the broadcasters were crying last night (I am again, a little bit, this morning).

In terms of the result, expect Asada to fall back for the reasons stated above. Rochette's program allows for her to make a few errors and still be one of the top 4 in the free skate. Kim's unreachable unless she totally melts down, which hasn't happened in a long time.

My prediction:

Kim

Rochette

Ando

Asada

Flett

Just backtracking a bit...so, were Belbin & Agosto downgraded for political reasons or did they regress & the other 3 couples REALLY ADVANCE more than they did?

A double-triple-quintuple salcow awaits the right answer!! :lol:

Will all 3-medal couples be back for a 2nd showdown in Sochi or is Shabalin too old now?

All of the above.

- Both Davis/White and Virtue/Moir have made great strides this year and have stand out programs and choreography this year. I think Davis/White have several new lifts and not just revised versions of old ones.

- Linicuk gave Belbin/Agosto quintasential Linicuk programs this year. Trouble is, those programs and very european/Russian in flavor and this is a North American couple. They didn't suit them. Plus it seems that the dancing world has finally progressed beyond those types of programs - at least for now.

- Was there ever a way that the judging panel would allow a podium with 3 North American teams? No Way.

I think Belbin/Agosto should have won bronze.

I suspect that 4 years from now only one of the top three teams will be back. No particular reason. I'm just looking at history. Injury, age, other priorities............

I was hoping for a "mariachi band" folk dance in the OD. Maybe next time.

Rochette's already won. The result is secondary--I think everyone agrees about that. Even the broadcasters were crying last night (I am again, a little bit, this morning).

In terms of the result, expect Asada to fall back for the reasons stated above. Rochette's program allows for her to make a few errors and still be one of the top 4 in the free skate. Kim's unreachable unless she totally melts down, which hasn't happened in a long time.

My prediction:

Kim

Rochette

Ando

Asada

Flett

I think that Asada will still medal, she has too big a lead. Rochette is more consistent and includes more jumps and artistic components. That will keep her up over Ando that can jump her way into contention. But 6.5 points behind 3rd and 7.5 behind 2nd is a bit too much in my mind. At the worlds when Ando made that charge you didn't have 3 people above 70 points with a 5+ point lead.

Its funny that it will probably be the skaters that are remembered just like in Calgary.

jawn: actually Kim already had a meltdown this season. she lost the free skate at skate america but since she has a very comfortable lead going into the free she held on for the win.

The interesting part about Kim is that her lowest scores from this past season still put her ahead of the of the field. It was interesting to hear Elvis Stojko say that her score was 'inflated' but she really is way ahead of the field. Her transitions, her speed and her jumps are so good and she always gets positive GOE's on them. Even if she had a 'meltdown' her score would still be tough to beat overall I think.

As for those saying Rochette got a sympathy score...that is just ridiculous! She did all of her jumps, well I might add, and she had almost all level fours on her elements too. She earned that score for sure! It is just so much higher than her seasons best because she did not have a good season and she herself said her new season started at Canadians. She was also much better than the fourth place Ando, who paused a lot in her program and had her combination downgraded.

The interesting part about Kim is that her lowest scores from this past season still put her ahead of the of the field. It was interesting to hear Elvis Stojko say that her score was 'inflated' but she really is way ahead of the field. Her transitions, her speed and her jumps are so good and she always gets positive GOE's on them. Even if she had a 'meltdown' her score would still be tough to beat overall I think.

As for those saying Rochette got a sympathy score...that is just ridiculous! She did all of her jumps, well I might add, and she had almost all level fours on her elements too. She earned that score for sure! It is just so much higher than her seasons best because she did not have a good season and she herself said her new season started at Canadians. She was also much better than the fourth place Ando, who paused a lot in her program and had her combination downgraded.

re: stojko's it was expected that he will say that. he gives more emphasis on the technical part. that's how he is as a skater as well. to say that triple axel-double toe is much harder than a triple lutz-triple toe is completely bull. they're equally hard but kim's 2nd jump is on the combo is a triple not a double.

All of the above.

- Both Davis/White and Virtue/Moir have made great strides this year and have stand out programs and choreography this year. I think Davis/White have several new lifts and not just revised versions of old ones.

- Linicuk gave Belbin/Agosto quintasential Linicuk programs this year. Trouble is, those programs and very european/Russian in flavor and this is a North American couple. They didn't suit them. Plus it seems that the dancing world has finally progressed beyond those types of programs - at least for now.

- Was there ever a way that the judging panel would allow a podium with 3 North American teams? No Way.

I think Belbin/Agosto should have won bronze.

I suspect that 4 years from now only one of the top three teams will be back. No particular reason. I'm just looking at history. Injury, age, other priorities............

I was hoping for a "mariachi band" folk dance in the OD. Maybe next time.

I totally agree with this analysis. The music choice, choreography and costumes were totally wrong for Belbin and Agosto. I think their skills are stronger than four years ago, but the whole package is weaker. Virtue/Moir and Davis/White were way ahead of the pack. Both pairs have astonishing strengths and I think there would have been an argument to be made for either one getting the gold. Kudos to both. Don't begrudge either of them anything. Really didn't like Domnina and Shabalin. Didn't like OD or FD. Wasn't crazy about Belbin and Agosto either. Probably preferred the Americans slightly, but the difference was so minute that I wasn't going to pitch a fit over it. On the whole the judging has been very solid for all the figure skating.

I was a bit surprised that Miki Ando landed in fourth. Her program components are weak, her jumps were awkward. 4th, 5th and 6th are all very close, but I was still surprised. If Yu Na doesn't win the gold, I'll be stunned. I was also very impressed w/ Mao Asada -- the best I've ever seen her skate. She doesn't have the musicality and artistry of Kim, but she maximized everything she does have. Astonishing that Rochette could perform so beautifully. Don't know if she'll be able to repeat it in the long program, but I don't think anyone cares. EVERYBODY is pulling for her and wanting her to succeed. I don't think anyone will care if her skate results in a medal or not.

Personally, I love Mirai Nagasu. It was too bad she didn't pull off the triple-triple in the short, but I still loved the program. If she nails everything and gets full credit, and if the others struggle, she might sneak onto the podium. The reason I say this about Nagasu and not Flatt is that Nagasu has the potential to create "magic" and Flatt never really seems to. Flatt is solid, reliable, but uninspiring. Yes, she knows how to rack up points and, as Sandra Bezic says, "there's no box for magic on the judging protocals." Still, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nagasu finished ahead.

Getting irritated w/ Elvis Stojko. Don't agree with anything he's saying. He needs to find a new career. This figure skating journalism isn't suited to him at all. Ugh.

Nagasu's music for teh free skate is Carmen and the edit of her music is similar to that of Linda Fratianne's 1980 free skate. of course, Nagasu is coached by Frank Carroll who coached Fratianne.

Congratulations Joannie! I am so proud of her courage and strength. She is the champion here tonight.

Yu-Na had a fabulous skate as well, and she deserved the bronze medal.

oops. I mean she deserved the Gold!

What is particularly impressive about Kim's achievements is that in the Worlds she was the first ever female to break the 200 barrier under the new scoring system. In the Olympic competition, not only has she broke the world record once again, raising the bar even higher, but she has pushed her competitors to achieve over the 200 mark.

Of course full credit to Aasda and Rochette for getting over 200 - it was all down to their. I do remember Usain Bolt saying that he never raced against the clock, the only thing that spurred him on to get the sort of times he did was the thought of Tyson Gay et al right behind him - it was only the very fast times of Gay/Powell that made him get the times he got.

rochette won more than a gold medal tonight. she won people's admiration and that alone is far bigger than a gold medal. she showed courage, determination and she overcame. that's what the olympics is all about overcoming serious obstacles.

I am astonished at what Joannie Rochette was able to do. What incredible strength! Truly an Olympic performance for the history books.

I know I am risking great disapproval, but I have to say that solely on the basis of merit, I believe Mirai Nagasu deserved bronze. Mirai outscored Joannie technically, but the judges awarded Joannie 8 more points for program components. I do not want to diminish Joannie's magnificent accomplishment, but I believe Mirai's skate was artistically superior and deserved much higher program component scores. In my opinion, Nagasu skated with more speed, energy, attack and charisma.

Given the extraordinary circumstances surrounding this competition, I do not expect to hear too many voices second this opinion, but I suspect I'm not the only one who holds it.

Heartfelt congratulations to Joannie. Mirai, we are confident of WONDERFUL things in the future.

• Like 1

Nagasu deserved fourth place, but not the bronze. While she did 'attack' her program, the level of footwork difficulties and her overall levels for her straight line sequence and her circular footwork sequences were not the same as Rochette's. Rochette had more difficult footwork, more body movement (ie, changing directions several times within the circular step sequence) and her jumps did have more flow. You might have noticed that at the end there was a delay, that was because for Nagasu, the judges had to go through every jump to see if it was cheated or not. While her jumps were not downgraded, the grades of execution were not all as high because they had to examine the jumps to make sure. This is the reason she finished fourth, but man, she was good and she will only continue to get better!