Sign in to follow this  
dave199

Figure Skating

I've been watching the pairs tonight, and I was looking at Jeremy Barret's costume, and was wondering "why do the male figure skaters always have to wear such femme costumes?" Then I see what Bryce Davison is wearing and I'm thinking "Now there you go, something that looks masculine." So, why do the male skaters always wear really femme costumes 99% of the time? I mean, no wonder there is a stereotype that they are all gay....

Wow..they edged out the other Chinese couple barely for 1st...Hmmmm...So there will be no Chinese sweep here in Vancouver.

And it seems as if everybody is messing up tonight. The Germans just screwed up.

Pang and Tong are having an amazing skate. They will take over #1 for sure.

I'm calling it Gold and Silver for China.

The German girl doesn't look too happy with that Bronze medal..lol...She's posing for pictures with the Chinese and the fake smiling is so obvious.. :lol:

The Russian pair just screwed up big time. No podium for sure.

Gosh, I'd hate to be them now, those Russian are sorta harsh even when everything's going well.

:lol: Yeah..It's nice to see history being made.

i too would be. they're the 2 time defending world champions going to this games.

I was pretty certain beforehand that Savchenko and Szolkowy don't win the gold -- especially when I heard that they put themselves under extreme pressure by just talking about aiming for the gold medal. Something like that almost never turns out well. So those mistakes had to happen. But I also think that even if they had run a flawless programme, they wouldn't have won. Both Chinese pairs simply were too good. I found their jumps and figures a lot more impressive than the Germans' ones.

So it's somehow even a deserved bronze. Although I'm also sad that Savchenko and Szolkowy will most probably not go to Sochi in four years (they talked about "splitting up" after the World Championships in March) and Katarina Witt already said that there are no other German skaters in sight who could be candidates for the medal podium in the next years. So the drought begins again. :(

I was pretty certain beforehand that Savchenko and Szolkowy don't win the gold -- especially when I heard that they put themselves under extreme pressure by just talking about aiming for the gold medal. Something like that almost never turns out well. So those mistakes had to happen. But I also think that even if they had run a flawless programme, they wouldn't have won. Both Chinese pairs simply were too good. I found their jumps and figures a lot more impressive than the Germans' ones.

So it's somehow even a deserved bronze. Although I'm also sad that Savchenko and Szolkowy will most probably not go to Sochi in four years (they talked about "splitting up" after the World Championships in March) and Katarina Witt already said that there are no other German skaters in sight who could be candidates for the medal podium in the next years. So the drought begins again. :(

splitting up? i wonder if either is very difficult to work with?

splitting up? i wonder if either is very difficult to work with?

I don't think that they're splitting up because of any conflict -- Katarina Witt said that Robin Szolkowy simply wants to do something else. You know, he's rather the guy who likes to meet a couple of pals and have a private life beside all that training, while Aljona Savchenko would even sleep on the ice rink if she could. She's extremely ambitious but as far as I know, there has never been a serious clash between her and Szolkowy. I suppose she'll do ice shows after her and Szolkowy's retirement. And one has also to consider that Szolkowy (although he looks much younger in my opinion) turns 30 this summer and won his first German championship nine years ago. So he's not as new in the "business" as one might think.

Well, Gung Ho Fat Choi to the Chinese!! They were terrific! Of course, now to deal with the micro-fractures in the foot bones!

Finally, the Russians are out. But I am sure they will be back with a vengenace in Sochi!! And only the Chinese can challenge the Ruskies in pairs! Langlois and Hay can be good if they get Russian coaches.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Congratulations to the Chinese pair!! :D:) I was rooting for them even though I'm American.

Also, I was a little shocked to hear that snide "who defects to Russia?" remark on TV during the Olympics. :huh: I mean, you don't have to be the biggest fan of Russia but sheesh, that sort of crap is completely offensive and inappropriate.

Thanks your Congrats.

That's really a historical moment.

The first Figure Skating Olympic Champion dream was come true...

For Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, 18 years is not short time. Pang Qing and Tong Jian will hardly go to Sochi 2014.

Zhang Dan and Zhang Hao will still have chance. Hope more and more young figure skating althletes will grow soom.

PS, they all come from my home city Harbin.

I am proud of them!

Also, I was a little shocked to hear that snide "who defects to Russia?" remark on TV during the Olympics. :huh: I mean, you don't have to be the biggest fan of Russia but sheesh, that sort of crap is completely offensive and inappropriate.

Oh please, stop being so PC and onion-skinned. :blink: I did NOT find it offensive at all.

Where do you think all those Russian coaches and skaters come to? The USA!! You certainly don't hear of Nancy Kerrigan, or God forbid, Tonya Harding, retiring to Russia, do ya? It's God's honest truth. There was this one Taiwanese athlete in the early 60s who defected to Red China (because his parents were actually still there and could not leave). But he did NOT defect to Russia.

Stop being so P.C.; that's so 1998.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Oh please, stop being so PC and onion-skinned. :blink: I did NOT find it offensive at all.

Where do you think all those Russian coaches and skaters come to? The USA!! You certainly don't hear of Nancy Kerrigan, or God forbid, Tonya Harding, retiring to Russia, do ya? It's God's honest truth. There was this one Taiwanese athlete in the early 60s who defected to Red China (because his parents were actually still there and could not leave). But he did NOT defect to Russia.

Stop being so P.C.; that's so 1998.

Question: are you Russian? Better question: do you even know why Yuko "defected" to Russia? It's because Japan doesn't have a pairs skating program of any value, and since 1998 her dream has been to win a gold medal.

How dare you criticize the women when you have no idea why she did what she did? If you don't have anything positive to say, why not just keep your mouth shut? Didn't you learn that back in fourth grade? Don't spread your negativity around whether or not you think it's the "God's honest truth."

Second of all, there's nothing about what I said that is motivated by political correctness. What I said is motivated by a respect for a country that almost single-handedly made the sport of figure skating as artistic and creative as it is. Nothing makes me want to bury my hands in my head more than the trailer trash chant "USA! USA! **** YEAH!! USA!"

• Like 1

The great Plushenko has arrived!

seems like Joubert had a disastrous short program and currently sits 10th w/ 9 skaters to go.

Sign in to follow this