Figure Skating

Are the announcers in the Pacific Coliseum live, or some recording or a computer? Watching the figure skating and the ice dancing, and the way she says "Scores please?", and "currently in...First place" sounds very mechanical and exactly the same each time. Me and my roommate had about a 10 minute debate.

I'm pretty they're live. The announcer (woman voice) is the person who does the commentary usually on CBC/Bold, and even then she sounds like a robot.

That's just horrible for Joannie Rochette. This has to be a really tough time for her. I hope she can manage to give the performance of her life since she says she's still competing.

I just hope Joannie has a good skate. The result really won't matter, I just hope that she will come off the ice proud of herself.

But talk about a tragedy. Loosing your mother two day before what is supposed to be the best time of your life. The tragedy is terrible, and so is the timing. The fact that she even wants to compete shows just how strong she is.

Are the announcers in the Pacific Coliseum live, or some recording or a computer? Watching the figure skating and the ice dancing, and the way she says "Scores please?", and "currently in...First place" sounds very mechanical and exactly the same each time. Me and my roommate had about a 10 minute debate.

Announcers are live. Sometimes the announcements are pretty scripted and timed - especially at the Olympics. There is a core group of announcers that do this type of work in each country where there is a major figure skating presence. It is a coveted assignment, just as being selected to be a judge, accountant, or part of the technical team.

Sympathies to Joannie Rochette and her family.

Virtue & Moir are in 1st after the Original Dance. They had a new Personal Best score. They're going for Gold tomorrow and will try and make history as the first Canadians to ever win a Figure Skating Dance Gold and also be the first North Americans to win the Gold.

Scott & Tessa were just terrific. They captured the essence of the flamenco. The scoring has been right so far. And that crazy aboriginal dance of the Russians, WTF??? Too bad Belbin & Agosto looks like they may NOT medal tomorrow. If the Russians are left out, it will look like a conspiracy, so I'm afraid Tanith & Agosto may be the sacrificial lambs tomorrow...esp because they have a VERY HEAVY free dance which I can't relate to...that AVE MARIA dance.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Scott & Tessa were just terrific. They captured the essence of the flamenco. The scoring has been right so far. And that crazy aboriginal dance of the Russians, WTF??? Too bad Belbin & Agosto looks like they may NOT medal tomorrow. If the Russians are left out, it will look like a conspiracy, so I'm afraid Tanith & Agosto may be the sacrificiallambs tomorrow...esp because they have a VERY HEAVY free dance which I can't relate to...that AVE MARIA dance.

Here's the problem I have with the Russians leading:

The program wasn't as challenging as some of the others were. That's one thing.

The other, and I have to bring it up, is their original program was quite possibly the most offensive thing I've seen in my history of watching the Winter Olympics. They made the aboriginal people of Australia look like Captain Caveman for crying out loud. I thought those sort of in bad taste things went out with Amos 'n' Andy.

Ice Dancing is growing on me, but stuff like what the Russians pulled is just not good. I'm not saying disqualify for a bad choice, but their scores were inflated in spite of a performance that wasn't up to scratch at best and quite honestly, left everyone watching feeling like the audience of Springtime for Hitler.

Here's the problem I have with the Russians leading:

The program wasn't as challenging as some of the others were. That's one thing.

The other, and I have to bring it up, is their original program was quite possibly the most offensive thing I've seen in my history of watching the Winter Olympics. They made the aboriginal people of Australia look like Captain Caveman for crying out loud. I thought those sort of in bad taste things went out with Amos 'n' Andy.

Ice Dancing is growing on me, but stuff like what the Russians pulled is just not good. I'm not saying disqualify for a bad choice, but their scores were inflated in spite of a performance that wasn't up to scratch at best and quite honestly, left everyone watching feeling like the audience of Springtime for Hitler.

I didn't find it offensive. I mean, judging from the Sydney ceremonies, the Aussie aborigines don't really have much of a dance repertoite to begin with. If anything, these crazy Russians pulled their culture out of obscurity and brought it back onto the world stage as far-fetched as an aboriginal dance on ice, is. What makes the aboriginal dance any more off-limits to an ice dance interpretation that Virtue-Moir's "flamenco" which, if you will be strict about it, also harks from a rather primitive subcutlure, the gypsies?

Also, remember, the Duchesnays had attempted a rather tribal, primal dance too back in their day. Here it is:

Also, remember, the Duchesnays had attempted a rather tribal, primal dance too back in their day. Here it is:

Not an accurate comparison. The Duchesnay's dance "Savage Rites" was a Free Dance, not an OD Original Dance (or back then, an OSP Original Set Pattern). There were no rules or limitations, and it was not representative of any particular culture. Sidebar facts: that dance was developed by Christopher Dean for them, and it wasn't particularly well received by the judges at the time. This year, the OD, according to the rules, must be representative of a specific country or region.

Count me in the group that found the dance idiotic to the point of offensiveness, both to the peoples being "portrayed" and also to the quality of the dance composition and execution.

Personally, I just thought it was silly. If they wanted to do an homage to Aboriginal dance, fine, but at least infuse some of the real spirit and meaning and techniques of such dances. Modern dance and Aboriginal dance is not incompatible - try looking at something from the Bangarra Dance Company to see how the two can complement each other. But to me, this was called 'aboriginal" but was just a mish-mash of sterotype, supposedly primitive and decidedly non-Aboriginal movement. It was more a travesty of an Aborigibal dance than an homage.

Forgot to mention, an Australian couple (Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman) did an Australian Aboriginal Original Dance at Worlds a couple of years ago. It was concocted after serious discussion and preparation with Aboriginal leaders. It is miles above what D/S put out there.

Forgot to mention, an Australian couple (Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman) did an Australian Aboriginal Original Dance at Worlds a couple of years ago. It was concocted after serious discussion and preparation with Aboriginal leaders. It is miles above what D/S put out there.

i agree. the costume alone already got the entire concept and the music choice is way better. they did execute the aboriginal concept which the russians horribly failed to do.

Ice Dance - Free Dance skate order

Tessa and Scott will skate 4th in the final group, Dom/Shabs will be last.

Ladies Figure Skating - Short Program start order

Kim and Asada will be skating back to back in the 2nd to the last flight while Rochette will be 2nd in the final group. Ando will be the last skater.

Anybody know how the 3 Reed sibligs have fared so far? I would like to see Cathy and Chris perform. Already saw their younger sister, Allison being partnered by that Georgian.

Allison is 21st while the リード siblings are in 16th.

Its great Great Britain’s Penn Comes and Nicholas Buckland were popular with the crowd , not an easy task when you in 20th place

Sinead Kerr and John Kerrshould have had more imagination than doing a country and western dance.

The USAs Asian Indian dance was fantastic.

I’m looking forward to the Free dance.

The Canadians did the flamenco, how original was that.

I honestly didn't like any of the dances last night. I could tell a couple were performed very well (Virtue/Moir and Davis/White) but I didn't enjoy them. They weren't exciting, intricate or original.

Edited by Faster

The Canadians did the flamenco, how original was that.

I honestly didn't like any of the dances last night. I could tell a couple were performed very well (Virtue/Moir and Davis/White) but I didn't enjoy them. They were exciting, intricate or original.

U didn't enjoy them because they were exciting, intricate & original? :blink: Glad you're not a judge then.

Notice that the two top teams are both coached by Sphilband-Zueva, Belbin-Agosto's former coaches. I wonder what's going thru Tanith and Beb's heads now a few hours before the Night of Reckoning?? :blink: