EU representation in great sport events

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe there is a candidate from South America to host the Games. I think this would be only democratic

I'd really love to see a South American candidate do it _ Santiago is the standoput _ and I really believe it could be done. If you look at some of the opast threads on the issue though, the jury is still out here on how realistic it really is.

It does get a tad boring to see the Winter Olympics following a similar rotation all the time, but the problem is where else can it go? Can Santiago and other southern hemisphere cities prove they can host the event? For the good of the event, I hope so.

It does get a tad boring to see the Winter Olympics following a similar rotation all the time, but the problem is where else can it go? Can Santiago and other southern hemisphere cities prove they can host the event? For the good of the event, I hope so.

When it comes to the southern hemisphere, there are really only three viable candidates:  NZ (Christchurch/Queenstown), Chile (Santiago) and Argentina (Bariloche).

Physically, they all would be able to host _ no worries there.

The only problem is that the southern contenders face two main problems:

*Timing _ they would have to be held in the northern winter sports off-season and not in the usual northern winter games TV slots. Not that I think that's an insuperable issue.

* Sports tradition _ none can point to any great legacy of success in the winter games (NZ is the best of three, with one silver, I think. Australia's the only southern country to have cracked gold at the WOGs, but it can't physically host a WOG).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived