Long Track Speed Skating

Appearently everyone else in the arena knew it was over for him except Kramer and the American commentators. NBC was showing the jumping in the Nordic Combined. After that finished, they went to Kramer skating. They went to speedskating almost right when he made this erorr. The commentators thought he did the right thing by staying where he was and not entering the other lane. Then when they showed the South Korean basically celebrating, the commentators said something along the lines, "He knows that the gold is slipping away from him (Referring to the South Korean)."

Appearently everyone else in the arena knew it was over for him except Kramer and the American commentators. NBC was showing the jumping in the Nordic Combined. After that finished, they went to Kramer skating. They went to speedskating almost right when he made this erorr. The commentators thought he did the right thing by staying where he was and not entering the other lane. Then when they showed the South Korean basically celebrating, the commentators said something along the lines, "He knows that the gold is slipping away from him (Referring to the South Korean)."

double fail!

Kramer, the world champion and record-holder at both distances, blamed his coach Gerard Kemkers for the mistake, the Vancouver Sun reported.

"Usually, I don't want to blame anyone else, I take responsibility as the skater on the ice. But this time I can't do anything else,'' the son of two-time Olympic speed skater Yep Kramer told reporters after the race.

"I wanted to go on the outer lane, then just before the cone Gerard shouted, 'Inner lane!' I thought he was probably right. At first I thought my skates passed the cone on the wrong side, and I will be disqualified. Then I noticed in the stadium, something was wrong.

Kramer will have the chance to bounce back and try to claim a second gold in the team pursuit event on Saturday

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/24/olympics.sven.kramer.skating/

(failed to add it)

Kemkers, a former speed skater who won a bronze medal in the 5,000m at Calgary in 1988, was also devastated by the turn of events, the Vancouver Sun reported.

"My world collapsed. This is a disaster. This is the worst moment in my career. Sven was right, I was wrong,'' he said

And the Dutch speed skater who lost a possible Gold medal because of a mental error. :o

WOW! Why that's almost as bad as the Canadian hockey team losing to the Americans. OOPPS they did, HHMMM. :( I may have to eat these words later but, for now WOO HOO.

Can someone explain the team pursuit format? Why is Germany, Netherlands and Canada on the same side of the bracket while the other side has Poland, Russia, Japan and Korea and same with the men's Canada vs Italy in the quarters?

It's based on the world cup ranking. Germany and the Netherlands weren't really sucessful and finished 4th and 5th. (Russia 2nd, Japan 3rd).

With Klassen and Schussler skating so slowly these last two weeks, it will probably be a struggle to even win bronze.

Same thing for the guys, if they even get by Italy.

Ya, the ISU stupidly got rid of the ranking round :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not really confident that we will medal in either team pursuit, considering how bad our speed skaters have been performing in Vancouver. And to say that before the games I considered the women's TP to be a lock for gold...

Ya, the ISU stupidly got rid of the ranking round :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm not really confident that we will medal in either team pursuit, considering how bad our speed skaters have been performing in Vancouver. And to say that before the games I considered the women's TP to be a lock for gold...

How the **** did we lose against the Americans? Brutal Olympics for the long track team... That was our best gold medal chance in any event going into those games... Its great to see how the coaching staff made sure our team would peak at the right time, eh?

Also, on a side note, the only two teams that had a faster time that Canada is Germany and the US, which means Canada would have won 5 out of a possible 7 match-ups...

The men's TP final tomorow will be Canada-USA, with Norway and the Netherlands fighting for bronze. The women's semis will be Japan-Poland and Germany-USA. BTW, aparently Canada actually had the second fastest time of any team in the quarterfinals, yet they still got eliminated. The ISU might want to bring back the seeding round for Sochi...

Epic, epic, EPIC women's semifinals in the TP. Japan had a lead of over a second against Poland, but Poland nearly came back, loosing by only 0.19 seconds. If that wasn't exiting enough, Germany had a huge lead over the US but with less that half a lap left, Anni Frisinger hit the wall, nearly fell before the line and then fell about 20m before the line, but Germany still, somehow won by 0.23s, with her head breaking the tape.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just rewatched clara hughes's post 5000m race interview. very good interview. will really miss her.

<object width="576" height="324" allowfullscreen="true"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/m/up/ypp/sports/player.swf"><param'>http://d.yimg.com/m/up/ypp/sports/player.swf"><param name="flashVars" value="vid=18333494"><embed width="576" height="324" allowfullscreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/m/up/ypp/sports/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=18333494"></object>

dang.. can't embed. here's just the link

Speedskating: Clara Hughes celebrates her bronze