ISU's Figure Skating Season For 2005-2006

Even though all the Torino 2006 gold medallists won't be going to these worlds, let's the competition begin.
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even though all the Torino 2006 gold medallists won't be going to these worlds, let's the competition begin.

And it looks pretty good that Canada will medal in Ladies Figure Skating. First time since Elizabeth Manley in 1988 I believe.

If everything works out, Canada should medal in 3 out of the 4 disciplines.

Jeffrey Buttle- Men's

Joannie Rochette-Ladies

Dubreil/Lauzon-Ice Dance (comeback after that nasty fall at the Olympics)

Joannie Rochette of Canada is in first place after qualifying. She'll skate last in the short program. Fumie Suguri is in second. Favorite Sasha Cohen is fifth. Kimmie Meissner is the highest ranked American in third.

Men's final results:

1. Lambiel (SUI) (What's with that god-awful zebra outfit, S?  You look like some sleazy lounge couch! )

2.  Joubert (FRA)

3.  Lysacek (USA)

4.  Oda (JPN)

5. Buttle (CAN)

6. Sandhu (CAN)

7. Princess Johnnie Weir (USA) - I don't know what his excuse is this time.  Bon Bon chewed up his tiara?   :wwww:

Men's final results:

7. Princess Johnnie Weir (USA) - I don't know what his excuse is this time.  Bon Bon chewed up his tiara?   :wwww:

:laughlong:

He wasn't feeling his chee.  The shape of the Saddledome brought all the negative energy down on him.  That and Bon Bon peed on his skates prior to his performance.

Ladies results

1st - Kimmie Miessner - USA

2nd - Fumie Suguri - Japan

3rd - Sasha Cohen - USA

Sasha lost it again. This championshis were basically being handed to her on a platter and she couldn't seize the moment.

That's it.  She's not consistent.  She has the most elegant line in a generation, and as you said, she can't seize the moment.  That's just like Italy's Men's volleyball team.  They've won every major tournament in the world for the last dozen years or so; but can never grab Olympic gold.  

Oh, and in dance, the winners are:

1.  Staviski-Dankova (he's originally from Russia tho.)

2.  Dubreuil and Lauzon (CAN) (the ones who fell in Torino)

3. Belbin and Agosto (US) down one place from Torino)

Ghost1 is going to like that result. I think this is the first time Bulgaria has ever won a gold medal in a figure skating event.

This figure skating season is now over. See you next year toward Tokyo.

Ghost1 is going to like that result. I think this is the first time Bulgaria has ever won a gold medal in a figure skating event.

Yes, I am!!! They truly deserved that title, leider that could be their last season - but they haven't decided yet. I hope thy compete another 1-2 years, who knows - maybe Vancouver 2010, as Staviisky joked once

That's it.  She's not consistent.  She has the most elegant line in a generation, and as you said, she can't seize the moment.  That's just like Italy's Men's volleyball team.  They've won every major tournament in the world for the last dozen years or so; but can never grab Olympic gold.  

a lot of people are somewhat questining her achievements this year. remember she won US Nationals with Kwan out due to an injury. She hasn't really defeated Kwan in any major championships. The closest she has were her silver medal finishes at Worlds with Kwan placing lower, in someway she defeated Kwan but she was not at the top step of the podium to begin with. Now with Worlds, with Kwan, Arakawa and Slutskaya out this was simply for her. Probably she partied too much during Oscar night that she forgot to train for Calgary, for her moment. At least Michelle has won every possible championships and managed to step on the Olympic podium twice and has a far more lucrative endorsement contract than her. Can't wait to see Kwan back who in a class of her own.

a lot of people are somewhat questining her achievements this year. remember she won US Nationals with Kwan out due to an injury. She hasn't really defeated Kwan in any major championships. The closest she has were her silver medal finishes at Worlds with Kwan placing lower, in someway she defeated Kwan but she was not at the top step of the podium to begin with. Now with Worlds, with Kwan, Arakawa and Slutskaya out this was simply for her. Probably she partied too much during Oscar night that she forgot to train for Calgary, for her moment. At least Michelle has won every possible championships and managed to step on the Olympic podium twice and has a far more lucrative endorsement contract than her. Can't wait to see Kwan back who in a class of her own.

There was this one competition this year though -- I forget which one; one of those especially made-for-TV events.  It was also Michelle's first one back which had Kwan, Cohen, Sato and (and I think Alissa Czerny?), and judged by Peggy Fleming, Dick Button, and I think Peter Carruthers.  You couldn't get more qualified judges than those.  They picked Sasha over Michelle.  But the stupid phone-in votes (a la American Idol) overrode the subjective judging and edged Michelle over Sasha.  It was all those screaming pre-pubescent skating wannabees with their Miss Kitty phones who gave Kwan her one victory this season.  But in terms of quality, Cohen was better.  

I saw those performances -- and Michelle is getting old.  She couldn't do any of the jumps, etc., that Sasha did well that night.

(Meissner (who was not in that group) is very robot-like and workman-like; no particular elegance.)

when Michelle skated in Marshall's last December in Boston she was coming off a long layoff because she was injured and just started jumping only 1 week prior to the event. Sasha is ok, but she is no Michlle and might never be especially with her attitude. She did a triple lutz and pop the flip. after her performance she was holding her hip which has not fully healed only to suffer a groin injury weeks later which led to her pulling out of Nationals. If you compare a healthy Michelle and a healthy Cohen, Michelle wins hands down since she is teh seasoned competitor. Having Dick, Peggy and Peter skating is odd especially since Dick and Peggy competed durign the time when compulsories weighed a lot and none of these skaters have competed under that system. Peter on the other irked a lot of people whether Kwan fans or not for teh way he pulls down other skaters during teh event. At the end it only shows how people liek Michelle than any skater.

Archived