ISU's Figure Skating Season For 2005-2006

Baron, I don't understand this. Almost right after St. Louis hosts the US Nationals, Colorado Springs hosts the 2006 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. I tried to look for the website, but there isn't one. The only thing mentioning about it in the US apparently is the main US figure skating website:

2006 Four Continents Page

Hmmm.  I don't know about that event, and how it could squeeze in there so tight between US Nationals and the Euros, and just 11 days before Torino.  I have no idea who will participate in that.

Yeah, this is strange indeed. The European Figure Skating Championships end just before the beginning of this championship. One would think that an official website would be made about it by now.

I guess because the Olympic teams will have been named -- so it's those who aren't going to Torino?  But still, schedule-wise, it's too tight even for those NOT picked for Torino.  And 4 continents?  So the participating continents will be No. America, Europe, Asia -- and which will be the 4th?  Africa?  Oceania?  Antartica?  Maybe our continental expert, mikel, can share his genius on this?   :rolleyes:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess because the Olympic teams will have been named -- so it's those who aren't going to Torino?  But still, schedule-wise, it's too tight even for those NOT picked for Torino.  And 4 continents?  So the participating continents will be No. America, Europe, Asia -- and which will be the 4th?  Africa?  Oceania?  Antartica?  Maybe our continental expert, mikel, can share his genius on this?   :rolleyes:

That is the most likely scenario. As for the peculiar name for the event itself ("4 continents"), I think it is just everywhere else that is not in Europe "proper."

Goethe, do you mean that her nationality status has not been fully determined yet? That's not good at this stage before the Winter Olympics begin. It is almost like that US ice dance team where Belbin is trying to get her US citizenship before these Games, too.

She has not the German passport and without it she wont be able to start in Torino. It´s a pity, because we dont have any other good ice skaters.

Aliona Savchenko has been awarded with the German citizenship by the Interior Minister of Saxony, Albrecht Buttolo. So she can compete at the Olympics.

Aliona Savchenko has been awarded with the German citizenship by the Interior Minister of Saxony, Albrecht Buttolo. So she can compete at the Olympics.

Geez. First, it was Belbin that got her US citizenship. Now, it is her turn for Germany.  :ooh:

With the American figure skating team that was strong in Winter Olympics past, perhaps this website to the US Nationals will help you know how strong the US team will be at Torino 2006:

2006 State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Even though these US Nationals starts today, the skaters we really care about don't start competing until the 10th.

That is the most likely scenario. As for the peculiar name for the event itself ("4 continents"), I think it is just everywhere else that is not in Europe "proper."

That's right. The "Four Continents" are North America, Asia, Oceania, and Africa (South Africa being the only one in Africa). Most likely, the US, Canada, China, and Japan won't send their A teams to this event because of its proximity to the Olympics.

As far as Michelle Kwan goes, I think public and media sentiment is in favor of her going to Torino. However, I think it's all up to the competitors in the ladies event at US Nationals as to whether the 3rd place lady there could do any better than Michelle. In my opinion, it would take a major breakthrough for that to happen.

However, I think it's all up to the competitors in the ladies event at US Nationals as to whether the 3rd place lady there could do any better than Michelle.

Actually, it's not up to the competitors.  It's up to the inner core of 36 (officials, top coaches) of U.S. Figure Skating to decide.

In fact, we still haven't got a clue of who will actually be going to Colorado Springs for that event. Also, according to the ISU, next year's edition of this same event hasn't been awarded yet while the rest of them have. Therefore, is the "Four Continents" event starting to get treated like those junior ISU events?
Now, we come to the big events for the figure skating world. First of them in schedule, the Europeans battle it out in January for their championships from Lyon, France. Good luck to all of them:

2006 European Figure Skating Championships From Lyon, France, Official Website

Now that the Canadian and American figure skating teams going to Torino 2006 are known, it is now the Europeans' turn at these championships in Lyon.

Now, we come to the big events for the figure skating world. First of them in schedule, the Europeans battle it out in January for their championships from Lyon, France. Good luck to all of them:

2006 European Figure Skating Championships From Lyon, France, Official Website

Now that the Canadian and American figure skating teams going to Torino 2006 are known, it is now the Europeans' turn at these championships in Lyon.

Did someone mention to me that Russian figure skating is starting to wane? If these results are any indication, I don't think Russia will be denied a medal in the Torino 2006 figure skating events at all.

FINAL RESULTS of the 2006 European Figure Skating Championships:

Ice Dance:

1. Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov (Russia)

2. Elena Grushina/Ruslan Goncharov (Ukraine)

3. Margarita Drobiazko/Povilas Vanagas (Lithuania)

Pairs:

1. Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin (Russia)

2. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

3. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

Ladies:

1. Irina Slutskaya (Russia)

2. Elena Sokolova (Russia)

3. Carolina Kostner (Italy)

Men:

1. Evgeni Plushensko (Russia)

2. Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

3. Brian Joubert (France)

Well, a Russian sweep of the gold medals with half of all the medals available won.

For those interested, despite not having an Internet website about it, here are the participants of the 2006 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships @ Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

2006 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships Participant Lists

The event starts on Monday. Also, it is the last one until the Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games begin.

For those interested, despite not having an Internet website about it, here are the participants of the 2006 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships @ Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA:

The event starts on Monday. Also, it is the last one until the Torino 2006 Olympic Winter Games begin.

Yup, it's pretty much all the "B" and "B-" skaters who didn't even place in their nationals.  I guess it's a "feel-good" competition by the ISU so that at least even the most feeble wannabees won't feel too left out in an Olympic year.

Yup, it's pretty much all the "B" and "B-" skaters who didn't even place in their nationals.  I guess it's a "feel-good" competition by the ISU so that at least even the most feeble wannabees won't feel too left out in an Olympic year.

Agreed, baron. By the way, the USA has quite an array of veterans and "up-and-comers" going to this event.

Well, it seems that it was an "American, Canadian and Japanese show" at these championships.

FINAL RESULTS of the 2006 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships:

Ice Dance:

1. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

2. Morgan Matthews/Maxim Zavozin (USA)

3. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir (Canada)

Pairs:

1. Rena Inoue/John Baldwin (USA)

2. Utako Wakamatsu/Jean-Sebastien Fecteau (Canada)

3. Elizabeth Putnam/Sean Wirtz (Canada)

Ladies:

1. Katy Taylor (USA)

2. Yukari Nakano (Japan)

3. Beatrisa Liang (USA)

Men:

1. Nobunari Oda (Japan)

2. Christopher Mabee (Canada)

3. Matthew Savoie (USA)

Well, this is it. Only the Winter Olympics and the World Championships is all that is left that this season can give.

Was just watching some of the Euro championships from Lyon.  Some thoughts:

1.  Big winner for '06 season.  From what I've seen of the Euro and the American contestants so far, I think the big winner is...appropriately enough...Nino Rota!  Nino who - you say?  Nino Rota is an Italian film composer best known for The Godfather Theme, and many other Fellini movies.  I say he is the big winner of the season so far because most of the winning skaters seem to be using his music this year.  So far:

- Evgeni Plushenko skated to The Godfather theme

- Sasha Cohen and one of the Euro dance pairs (forgot which one) have/will skate to Rota's "Romeo and Juliet" theme

- part of Petrova & Tikhonov's music is Rota's music from either "The Nights of Cabiria or "Fellini's the Clowns."

So in this season that the Winter Olympics become al dente, seems appropriate enough that an Italian composer will have a heavy presence in the figure skating competition.  

2.  Elena Sokolova has followed in Slutskaya's footsteps and is competing in those unitards.  I wonder who will be the first male skater to do a Scottish theme and thereby compete in a skirt...err, kilt!!   :wwww:

3.  THe stands for the Ladies Final in Lyon were like only 1/2 full.  Bring this event to the US/Canada, and you will have at least an 80% attendance.

Let's see if next year's European Championships will do any better in Warsaw.

There's always a let down after an Olympic year.  But if Warsaw has the regulation-size rink AND the Polish pairs couple (well, the guy's about 35, so I don't know if he/they'll stay on) compete next year, then, conceivably, it could be a better success than the Lyon one.

So, baron, it seems that Spokane is the only candidate city that I could find so far that wants to host the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships.
So, baron, it seems that Spokane is the only candidate city that I could find so far that wants to host the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships.

Really?  I guess the Figure Skating Clubs of the other cities are not behind the 8-ball on this one.  I'm surprised US FIgure Skating has not aroused enough interest among the possible cities.  Maybe the ISU is demanding too much in terms of freebies?  

(San Antonio too seems to have lost interest in wanting to go for PanAm 2011.)

Really?  I guess the Figure Skating Clubs of the other cities are not behind the 8-ball on this one.  I'm surprised US FIgure Skating has not aroused enough interest among the possible cities.  Maybe the ISU is demanding too much in terms of freebies?  

(San Antonio too seems to have lost interest in wanting to go for PanAm 2011.)

Actually, I'm not really that surprised. With this World Championships the last one before Vancouver 2010, it could be interesting whether this bid will go forward. Since the USA's last hosting of this event was Washington 2003, it may be the nation's turn to do it.

Oh, by the way, I just find out after making this post that LA may go for it, too.

• 3 weeks later...
While the Torino 2006 figure skating events are half-over at this time, it is one month from now before the World Championships start.
Looks like the USA has this in the bag so far. It is just the matter of which one should its skating federation choose as its main contender for 2009.

A review of the winner's names/teams from Torino 2006:

Pairs:

1. Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin (Russian Federation)

2. Dan & Hao Zhang (PR China)

3. SHEN Xue/ZHAO Hongbo (PR China)

Men:

1. Evgeni Plushenko (Russian Federation)

2. Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

3. Jeffrey Buttle (Canada)

Ice Dance:

1. Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov (Russian Federation)

2. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

3. Elena Grushina/Ruslan Goncharov (Ukraine)

Ladies:

1. Shizuka Arakawa (Japan)

2. Sasha Cohen (USA)

3. Irina Slutskaya (Russian Federation)

The only major event left in this season is the World Championships next month in Calgary. I don't know how many of these medal winners will actually go to this event, but this one and all the others after it will lead to the showdown at Vancouver 2010.

Archived