ISU's Figure Skating Season For 2005-2006

Well, it is that time again. The figure skaters of the world now compete to the various Grand Prix events toward the title of World Champion AND Olympic Champion. The list of the Grand Prix events are as follows:

1. October 20-23, 2005: Skate America @ Atlantic City, NJ

2. October 27-30, 2005: Skate Canada International @ St. John's, NF&L

3. November 3-6, 2005: Cup of China @ Beijing

4. November 17-20, 2005: Trophee Eric Bompard @ Paris

5. November 24-27, 2005: Cup of Russia @ St. Petersburg

6. December 1-4, 2005: NHK Trophy @ Osaka

The Grand Prix Final: December 16-18, 2005, @ TOKYO

As an add-on to the obvious events of the Olympic Winter Games in Torino and the World Championships in Calgary, these events must be noted here as well:

- January 16-22, 2006: European Figure Skating Championships @ Lyon, France

- January 23-29, 2006: Four Continents Figure Skating Championships @ Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.

- March 6-12, 2006: World Junior Figure Skating Championships @ Ljubljana, Slovenia

Good luck to all figure skaters this season.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final results of the Skate America Grand Prix event:

Ice Dance:

1. Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

2. Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (France)

3. Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (Russia)

Pairs:

1. Dan & Hao Zhang (China)

2. Rena Inoue/John Baldwin, Jr. (USA)

3. Julia Obertas/Sergei Slavnov (Russia)

Ladies:

1. Elena Sokolova (Russia)

2. Alissa Czisny (USA)

3. Yoshie Onda (Japan)

Men:

1. Daisuke Takahashi (Japan)

2. Evan Lysacek (USA)

3. Brian Joubert (France)

Next stop: Skate Canada @ St. John's, Newfoundland.

OK, just saw Alissa!  She is marvelous - a new weapon in the arsenal of American women.  Even the very discriminating and technical Dick Button was all praises for Alissa.  And unless Sacha Cohen goes blonde, the US might be sending an all raven-haired women's delegation to Torino: Kwan, Cohen and Csizny.  Goodbye Jennifer Kirk and Angela Nikodinov.  

Oh, ESPN is also using Katarina Witt as an on-the-floor commentator.  Her accent is quite irritating.

Jennifer Kirk just retired from competitve skating and Nikodinov is taking a year off due to injuries and traumes she sustained from the death of her mom in Portland, Oregon enroute to the US National Championships.

Jennifer Kirk just retired from competitve skating and Nikodinov is taking a year off due to injuries and traumes she sustained from the death of her mom in Portland, Oregon enroute to the US National Championships.

The USA has a lot of talent, when it comes to women's figure skating. However, it will be interesting on which of them will go to the Winter Olympics and World Championships.

The USA has a lot of talent, when it comes to women's figure skating. However, it will be interesting on which of them will go to the Winter Olympics and World Championships.

As I mentioned:

Olympics - Kwan, Cohen and Csizny -- depending on who medals and injuries...

Worlds - probably Kwan, Cohen and they give the 3rd spot to a new gal -- whoever will be 4th at Nationals.

As I mentioned:

Olympics - Kwan, Cohen and Csizny -- depending on who medals and injuries...

Worlds - probably Kwan, Cohen and they give the 3rd spot to a new gal -- whoever will be 4th at Nationals.

By the way, where is the 2006 US nationals taking place?

Final results for the Skate Canada International GP event:

Ice Dance:

1. Kristin Fraser/Igor Lukanin (Azerbaijan)

2. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

3. Mylene Girard/Bradley Yaeger (Canada)

Pairs:

1. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

2. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

3. Valerie Marcoux/Craig Buntin (Canada)

Ladies:

1. Alissa Czisny (USA)

2. Joannie Rochette (Canada)

3. Yukari Nakano (Japan)

Men:

1. Emanuel Sandhu (Canada)

2. Jeffery Buttle (Canada)

3. Nobunari Oda (Japan)

Next stop: Beijing for the "Cup of China."

Washington State's Governor has announced that Spokane will be bidding for the 2009 World Figure Skating Championships.

Spokane? OMG, that's a joke.  I have been to Spokane -- caught the women's volleyball matches of the 1990 Goodwill Games.  It's a less-than-middling American city.  Where are the other bidders?

OMG!  Am watching the free skate of the Ice Dancing at Skate America right now -- and the costumes, especially of the young Russians and the French pair...OY!  No wonder figure skating has such a faggy reputation.  I mean they're trying to compensate their lack of skating skill and talents with these horrendous, over-done costumes.  Really quite bizarre.  

Great-grandfather, forgive them for they know not what they wear...  :down:

I think they should add this new discipline...see below.

Who knows, baron. It is the only figure skating event not in the Winter Olympics.

OMG!  Am watching the free skate of the Ice Dancing at Skate America right now -- and the costumes, especially of the young Russians and the French pair...OY!  No wonder figure skating has such a faggy reputation.  I mean they're trying to compensate their lack of skating skill and talents with these horrendous, over-done costumes.  Really quite bizarre.  

Great-grandfather, forgive them for they know not what they wear...  :down:

I heard some time ago that such costumes could worth "a lot." However, I don't think I want to be wearing them.

Final results in the Cup Of China Grand Prix event from Beijing:

Ice Dance:

1. Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov (Russia)

2. Galit Chait/Sergei Sakhnovski (Israel)

3. Megan Wing/Aaron Lowe (Canada)

Pairs:

1. Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

2. Qing Pang/Jian Tong (China)

3. Dorota Zagorska/Mariusz Siudek (Poland)

Ladies:

1. Irina Slutskaya (Russia)

2. Mao Asada (Japan)

3. Shizuka Arakawa (Japan)

Men:

1. Emanuel Sandhu (Canada)

2. Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

3. Andrei Griazev (Russia)

Next stop: Paris for the Trophee Eric Bompard.

Am watching the Men's Free Skate of Skate Canada.  Am curious about Emmanuel Sandhu.  Of what extraction is he?  It's kinda hard to pinpoint him.

I'm not sure of his ethnic nationality. I think he is an Indo-Canadian. However, when it comes to competitions like this one, he is "hot and cold" in many ways.

Am watching the Men's Free Skate of Skate Canada.  Am curious about Emmanuel Sandhu.  Of what extraction is he?  It's kinda hard to pinpoint him.

I'm not sure of his ethnic nationality. I think he is an Indo-Canadian.

Yeah, I think "Sandhu" might be of Hindu origin.  

On the same note, the German pair that won in Skate Canada pairs, Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy, is another strange one - strange insofar as skating circles.  The gal is of Slavic origin, but Robin (the guy) has a Polish surname, is a mulatto so his mom must be of African descent.  Since Surya, Debi and Tai (Babilonia), there appears to be more diversity now in what was previously a white/Asian skating world.

Yeah, I think "Sandhu" might be of Hindu origin.  

On the same note, the German pair that won in Skate Canada pairs, Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy, is another strange one - strange insofar as skating circles.  The gal is of Slavic origin, but Robin (the guy) has a Polish surname, is a mulatto so his mom must be of African descent.  Since Surya, Debi and Tai (Babilonia), there appears to be more diversity now in what was previously a white/Asian skating world.

Well, this is going to be one interesting season for sure. With the Winter Olympics coming up, it makes quite a show to see what the potential is there for all these athletes.

Archived