ISU's Figure Skating Season For 2005-2006

Oh, by the way, I hope the figure skaters that will be competing in the next Grand Prix event is not going to get distracted by the riots going on in France, if they manage to go on.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Emanuel Sandhu's father is from India, and his mother is from Italy. And yes, it is great to see some ethnic diversity in the upper echelons of figure skating. It's a shame that one can't say the same about the programs. Frankly, if I have to watch someone dance to "Swan Lake" and its ilk, I will scream.

Emanuel Sandhu's father is from India, and his mother is from Italy. And yes, it is great to see some ethnic diversity in the upper echelons of figure skating. It's a shame that one can't say the same about the programs. Frankly, if I have to watch someone dance to "Swan Lake" and its ilk, I will scream.

Uhmm...Surya and the Duchaneys (sp?) tried something very ethnic and primitive (ya know, African beat music - and I don't mean "Lion King" kind of music), and they didn't get very far.  As a matter of fact, they dropped those programs like hot potatoes and quickly hoped they would've been forgotten.

No doubt about it, figure skating is a very western sports/art form.  Even early pieces of the ascending Chinese pairs were heavy in their communist martial music, and it didn't look or sound right for world figure skating competition.  They just looked too party-line.  It's only lately when they've more westernized/europeanized their music that the Chinese skaters have risen to the top.  

I've been waiting for some Iranian figure skater to perform in her chador -- and see what that's like.   :rolleyes:

OK, just saw Alissa!  She is marvelous - a new weapon in the arsenal of American women.  Even the very discriminating and technical Dick Button was all praises for Alissa.  And unless Sacha Cohen goes blonde, the US might be sending an all raven-haired women's delegation to Torino: Kwan, Cohen and Csizny.  Goodbye Jennifer Kirk and Angela Nikodinov.  

Oh, ESPN is also using Katarina Witt as an on-the-floor commentator.  Her accent is quite irritating.

Finally, I got to see the Skate America event with Csizny in it on TV. She was great, after being the mentioned alternate for Cohen. I think she already qualified for the Grand Prix Final, right? Anyway, she will be great for Torino 2006, if she does qualify for it, too.

Final results from the Trophee Eric Bompard Grand Prix event at Paris:

Ice Dance:

1. Elena Grushina/Ruslan Goncharov (Ukraine)

2. Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (France)

3. Federica Faiella/Massimo Scali (Italy)

Pairs:

1. Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin (Russia)

2. Qing Pang/Jian Tong (China)

3. Valerie Marcoux/Craig Buntin (Canada)

Ladies:

1. Mao Asada (Japan)

2. Sasha Cohen (USA)

3. Shizuka Arakawa (Japan)

Men:

1. Jeffery Buttle (Canada)

2. Brian Joubert (France)

3. Gheorghe Chiper (Romania)

Next stop: the Cup of Russia at St. Petersburg.

• 2 weeks later...

Final results of the Cup of Russia Grand Prix event:

Ice Dance:

1. Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov (Russia)

2. Galit Chait/Sergei Sakhnovski (Israel)

3. Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (Russia)

Pairs:

2. Julia Obertas/Sergei Slavnov (Russia)

3. Dorota Zagorska/Mariusz Siudek (Poland)

Ladies:

1. Irina Slutskaya (Russia)

2. Miki Ando (Japan)

3. Yoshie Onda (Japan)

Men:

1. Evgeni Plushenko (Russia)

2. Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

3. Johnny Weir (USA)

Final stop of the Grand Prix season: the NHK Trophy event at Osaka.

Hey Guard, when is the Osaka NHK event?

Baron, the last Grand Prix event here just ended. Here are the final results for this event before the GRAND PRIX FINAL in Tokyo:

Ice Dance:

1. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

2. Albena Denkova/Maxim Staviski (Bulgaria)

3. Anastasia Grebenkina/Vazgen Azrojan (Armenia)

Pairs:

1. Dan & Hao Zhang (China)

2. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

3. Utako Wakamatsu/Jean-Sebastien Fecteau (Canada)

Ladies:

1. Yukari Nakano (Japan)

2. Fumie Suguri (Japan)

3. Elena Liashenko (Ukraine)

Men:

1. Nobunari Oda (Japan)

2. Evan Lysacek (USA)

3. Daisuke Takahashi (Japan)

In addition to those interested: the Grand Prix Final takes place in Tokyo from December 16th. to December 18th. Here are the participants of this event before the big championships, like the Olympic Games and World Championships:

Ice Dance:

- Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov (Russia)

- Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

- Elena Grushina/Ruslan Goncharov (Ukraine)

- Galit Chait/Sergei Sakhnovski (Israel)

- Isabelle Delobel/Olivier Schoenfelder (France)

- Oksana Domnina/Maxim Shabalin (Russia)

The SUBSTITUTES (if one or a couple of these teams mentioned above cannot make it to Tokyo):

- Tanith Belbin/Benjamin Agosto (USA)

- Melissa Gregory/Denis Petukhov (USA)

- Megan Wing/Aaron Lowe (Canada)

Pairs:

- Tatiana Totmianina/Maxim Marinin (Russia)

- Dan & Hao Zhang (China)

- Maria Petrova/Alexei Tikhonov (Russia)

- Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

- Qing Pang/Jian Tong (China)

- Julia Obertas/Sergei Slavnov (Russia)

The SUBSTITUTES:

- Rena Inoue/John Baldwin (USA)

- Valerie Marcoux/Craig Buntin (Canada)

- Dorota Zagorska/Mariusz Siudek (Poland)

Ladies:

- Irina Slutskaya (Russia)

- Mao Asada (Japan)

- Alissa Czisny (USA)

- Yukari Nakano (Japan)

- Elena Sokolova (Russia)

- Miki Ando (Japan)

The SUBSTITUTES:

- Joannie Rochette (Canada)

- Shizuka Arakawa (Japan)

- Yoshie Onda (Japan)

Men:

- Emanuel Sandhu (Canada)

- Jeffrey Buttle (Canada)

- Daisuke Takahashi (Japan)

- Nobunari Oda (Japan)

- Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

- Evan Lysacek (USA)

The SUBSTITUTES:

- Brian Joubert (France)

- Evgeni Plushenko (Russia)

- Johnny Weir (USA)

Well, until we know who will be there and the event begins, the list here is tentative.

Goethe, do you mean that her nationality status has not been fully determined yet? That's not good at this stage before the Winter Olympics begin. It is almost like that US ice dance team where Belbin is trying to get her US citizenship before these Games, too.

Goethe, do you mean that her nationality status has not been fully determined yet? That's not good at this stage before the Winter Olympics begin. It is almost like that US ice dance team where Belbin is trying to get her US citizenship before these Games, too.

She has not the German passport and without it she wont be able to start in Torino. It´s a pity, because we dont have any other good ice skaters.

The SUBSTITUTES (if one or a couple of these teams mentioned above cannot make it to Tokyo):

Ladies:

- Mao Asada (Japan)

- Yukari Nakano (Japan)

- Miki Ando (Japan)

The SUBSTITUTES:

- Yoshie Onda (Japan)

1.  Why are the 2 US Dance couples only listed as subs?

2.  5 Japanese women in Ladies?  That seems a bit fishy -- what with the Finals being held in Tokyo?  I mean 3 regulars, and 2 in the Subs?   :suspect:

Ladies:

- Mao Asada (Japan)

- Yukari Nakano (Japan)

- Miki Ando (Japan)

The SUBSTITUTES:

- Yoshie Onda (Japan)

1.  Why are the 2 US Dance couples only listed as subs?

2.  5 Japanese women in Ladies?  That seems a bit fishy -- what with the Finals being held in Tokyo?  I mean 3 regulars, and 2 in the Subs?   :suspect:

Yep. It is the "read it and weep" scenario here. Besides, I don't know if that event is one that qualifies skaters to Torino 2006. If it is, then it is a very small factor against the various national championships, the European and Four Continents Championships.

Besides, for the American teams, it is the US Nationals that is most likely the one that will qualify teams for Torino 2006 anyway.

This is how the qualification system for Olympics goes, pertaining to figure skating:

Slots are given out based on a country's cumulative effort in a given discipline (pairs, men, ice dance, and women) at the last World Championships before the Olympics. Some countries will get three slots, some will get two, some will get one, and some will be left with the fuzzy end of the lollypop. 24 spots are up for grabs in the singles, 16 in pairs, and 19 in ice dance.

This season, the Karl Schaefer Trophy in Vienna was used as a final qualifier for the remaining slots (6 for singles, 4 for pairs, and 5 for ice dance). Only countries that have not qualified a single entrant in a particular discipline may vie for the spots.

The various national figure skating organizations decide who will fill their alloted slots. This is often based on results from nationals, but some spots are filled based on athlete's results from the past few years. Some countries may elect not to use any or all of their spots. In that case, spots are alloted to the non-qualifiers from the Karl Schaefer Trophy competition.

This is how the qualification system for Olympics goes, pertaining to figure skating:

Slots are given out based on a country's cumulative effort in a given discipline (pairs, men, ice dance, and women) at the last World Championships before the Olympics. Some countries will get three slots, some will get two, some will get one, and some will be left with the fuzzy end of the lollypop. 24 spots are up for grabs in the singles, 16 in pairs, and 19 in ice dance.

This season, the Karl Schaefer Trophy in Vienna was used as a final qualifier for the remaining slots (6 for singles, 4 for pairs, and 5 for ice dance). Only countries that have not qualified a single entrant in a particular discipline may vie for the spots.

The various national figure skating organizations decide who will fill their alloted slots. This is often based on results from nationals, but some spots are filled based on athlete's results from the past few years. Some countries may elect not to use any or all of their spots. In that case, spots are alloted to the non-qualifiers from the Karl Schaefer Trophy competition.

I understand what you're saying.  And as for the US, it is Nationals that qualify the American entries for the Olympics.  So, what is the big hoopla about the Grand Prix if that's not used as some qualifier by some countries?  Or is it just another independent competition in a long season that includes the O's and the Worlds in March?

The ISU Grand Prix unites the best senior-level figure skaters in the world through six contests on three continents, and one grand final. At its essence, it is no different from the World Cup circuits that other sports have. Success at the ISU Grand Prix does not mean (in the great scheme of things) that one has qualified for Worlds or Olympics, though the results CAN serve as criteria in the selection process.

So, it is an independent series of contests in a long season.

The ISU Grand Prix unites the best senior-level figure skaters in the world through six contests on three continents, and one grand final. At its essence, it is no different from the World Cup circuits that other sports have. Success at the ISU Grand Prix does not mean (in the great scheme of things) that one has qualified for Worlds or Olympics, though the results CAN serve as criteria in the selection process.

So, it is an independent series of contests in a long season.

I know this.  I thought you were trying to imply otherwise.

The Grand Prix season for this Olympic one is over. Here are the results from the GRAND PRIX FINAL from Tokyo (which will host the 2007 World Figure Skating Championships):

Ice Dance:

1. Tatiana Navka/Roman Kostomarov (Russia)

2. Elena Grushina/Ruslan Goncharov (Ukraine)

3. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon (Canada)

Pairs:

2. Dan & Hao Zhang (China)

3. Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (Germany)

Ladies:

1. Mao Asada (Japan)

2. Irina Slutskaya (Russia)

3. Yukari Nakano (Japan)

Men:

1. Stephane Lambiel (Switzerland)

2. Jeffrey Buttle (Canada)

3. Daisuke Takahashi (Japan)

Now, we come to the big events for the figure skating world. First of them in schedule, the Europeans battle it out in January for their championships from Lyon, France. Good luck to all of them:

2006 European Figure Skating Championships From Lyon, France, Official Website

• 2 weeks later...

With the American figure skating team that was strong in Winter Olympics past, perhaps this website to the US Nationals will help you know how strong the US team will be at Torino 2006:

2006 State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships

With the American figure skating team that was strong in Winter Olympics past, perhaps this website to the US Nationals will help you know how strong the US team will be at Torino 2006:

2006 State Farm U.S. Figure Skating Championships

How dare US Figure Skating bypass the madduh-fakker of all arched stadia for the 2006 Championships!!

St-Louis16.gif

Hrrrmph!!!  :angry:

Baron, I don't understand this. Almost right after St. Louis hosts the US Nationals, Colorado Springs hosts the 2006 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. I tried to look for the website, but there isn't one. The only thing mentioning about it in the US apparently is the main US figure skating website:

2006 Four Continents Page

Baron, I don't understand this. Almost right after St. Louis hosts the US Nationals, Colorado Springs hosts the 2006 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships. I tried to look for the website, but there isn't one. The only thing mentioning about it in the US apparently is the main US figure skating website:

Hmmm.  I don't know about that event, and how it could squeeze in there so tight between US Nationals and the Euros, and just 11 days before Torino.  I have no idea who will participate in that.

Hmmm.  I don't know about that event, and how it could squeeze in there so tight between US Nationals and the Euros, and just 11 days before Torino.  I have no idea who will participate in that.

Yeah, this is strange indeed. The European Figure Skating Championships end just before the beginning of this championship. One would think that an official website would be made about it by now.

Archived