Sochi 2014 Handover Discussion thread

Ikarus360

Well, now that we know how's the stage inside BC Place, i created this topic to start talking for what we'll see on the handover this February 28. If someone has official news and/or rumours about the handover, they can be posted here as well. You can make your predictions as well.

I predict lots of projections, and since Sochi 2014 is going towards a more modern style ala London 2012, maybe we wont be seeing so much russians stereotypes (or maybe not.. :lol: ). I think we'll be hearing Dima Bilan , maybe because of the fact that he's a strong supporter of Sochi 2014, even during the bid, and also because of his popularity now after he won the Eurovision 2008 with his song ''Believe''

Sochi 2014 Flag Handover Ceremony first details

During the Closing Ceremony of the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver, the Mayor of Vancouver will pass the Olympic Flag to the Mayor Sochi, as the representative of the host city of the next Winter Games.

During an 8-minute show, Sochi 2014 seeks to connect space and time and take the audience on a journey that takes in Vancouver, Sochi, Moscow and back to Vancouver. Participants in the Flag Handover Ceremony will include supermodel Natalia Vodianova, maestro Valery Gergiev, Olympic champions Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov and international opera diva Maria Guleghina.

In late 2009, “.ru” and mirror images of “Sochi 2014” representing Sochi’s ‘sea and mountains’ location became key elements of the new Sochi 2014 brand. In Vancouver, Russian organizers will continue this journey showcasing a contemporary Russia built on a unique heritage, while reflecting Sochi 2014’s commitment to ensuring Russia’s first Winter Games are the most innovative and inspirational ever staged.

Thanks for the info mattygs!

Well for what i can read, if they're bringing musical director Valery Gergiev, that means we're probably going to hear some russian classic arrangements (also he's kinda connected with Georgia, since he harshly condemned the 2008 russian invasion) . Although the data kinda points its going to have some modern/futurist touch.

I hope is not another crappy handover <_<

The Dream Hand Over:

After the flag is passed over the Sochi team bring out the Bolshoi Ballet to re-enact the Odessa Steps sequence from Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin, followed by Mad Vlad Putin showing off his KGB inspired karate skills. Then the massed T-34s of the 1st Guards Army are driven into the arena with Stolychinya Vodka bottles on their backs as per the roos on bikes debacle. Mischa the Bear lands amongst the cavorting tanks as his Soyuz capsule re-renters Earth's atmosphere, and to finish it off t.A.T.u. come out and performed naughty Russian songs with certain sapphic movements

tAtu leading the Red Army Choir!

... that happened at the interval act (first semi final) of the Eurovison Song Contest 2009 in Moscow:

... the interval act (second semi final) of the Eurovison Song Contest 2009 in Moscow:

Russian Ballet is dancing famous european folk dances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ionluL7730Y

When I am watching this videos I recognise how I am looking forward to Sochi - Russians are very good in such acts!

Um thanks but no thanks ^^; i would love that tATU stays away, they better do another song with Rammstein or something :lol:

Anyway, am going to post the show they did for the 2014.ru logo unveiling. Of course, i hope the actuall handover will be tons better than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtQqKym0E4g

I'm looking forward to hear some Shostakovich compositions, they always make anything pretty epic XD (specially Firebird, altough it was used on the finale of SLC 2002 opening)

The Dream Hand Over:

After the flag is passed over the Sochi team bring out the Bolshoi Ballet to re-enact the Odessa Steps sequence from Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin, followed by Mad Vlad Putin showing off his KGB inspired karate skills. Then the massed T-34s of the 1st Guards Army are driven into the arena with Stolychinya Vodka bottles on their backs as per the roos on bikes debacle. Mischa the Bear lands amongst the cavorting tanks as his Soyuz capsule re-renters Earth's atmosphere, and to finish it off t.A.T.u. come out and performed naughty Russian songs with certain sapphic movements

Luv it!! They'll also recruit that Thomas Saulgrain guy to recreate his OC aerial ballet (except now dressed as a cosmonaut-swan*)...and the projections will show the steppes of Russia and the nuclear craters of Kamchatka, rather than the prairies of Manitoba!!

*wardrobe courtesy of Bjork

Luv it!! They'll also recruit that Thomas Saulgrain guy to recreate his OC aerial ballet (except now dressed as a cosmonaut-swan*)...and the projections will show the steppes of Russia and the nuclear craters of Kamchatka, rather than the prairies of Manitoba!!

*wardrobe courtesy of Bjork

And them some random russian folk dancers would form a circle in the middle and start to dance Kalinka :lol:

((btw Baron can you clean your inbox, i need to send you a PM ;) ))

skipping handover. I think it would be cool if opening included a 'native' siberian segment like Vancouver, something with synchro/speed skating, ribbon, and aerialist called 'terminus', segment with singer and giant 'canvas' dresss, rhythmic gymnastics ball routine, finale with giant suspended 'wooden' egg with pattern projections that eventually splits to reveal LED/laser flashing faberge egg.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanna see a massively coreographed rhythm. gym. routine with bright yellow/&golden ribbon and blue ball as opposed to canada's wheat fields presentation in an opening ceremony. Also I think it would be funny to bring out giant Macy's parade style Misha Bear balloon at the closing ceremonies and have a mini 5-ring modern circus and then famous music stars. Whatever they come up with I'm sure it will be awesome and massive!!! Wish they had above said rythm. gym. at handover, but ballet was good too, although it could have been a much more massive group including youth in white the long flowy tutus, except no guys, maybe in opening though?!!!

Archived