Who Will Be The Star of Vancouver 2010?

So...who in your opinion is going to be the Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt of Vancouver 2010? Every games has had a select few athletes or a team that has formed an identifiable link, such as Berlin 36 being Jesse Owens' games, or Lake Placid 1980 being dominated by Eric Heiden and the Miracle on Ice. Some candidates include Lindsay Vonn, Ole Einar Bjørndalen, Shaun White, or any Canadian that wins the first home soil Canuck gold medal...

Is Bilodeau gonna be the early lock now?

Well, he will certainly be remembered for his run. Not sure about being the biggest star, but top 10 maybe?

Any more potential 'face of the games' candidates emerge in the last week or so? I'd suggest Simon Ammann is up there now with his double golds, following up on SLC success. He'll certainly be in the Greenspan movie for Vancouver 2010 that will follow as sure as night follows day.

I think Bjeurgen now has a pretty good chance to be the face of the game. She already has two golds and have a pretty good chance to increase that tally.

Petra Majdic?

Certainly one of the best story in the history of the Olympics, but I don't think she has the hardware to be the women of the games.

So, some nominees for star of the Vancouver Games:

• Marit Boergen (3 gold 1 silver 1 bronze - Norway - cross country skiing)
  • Shaun White (1 gold - USA - half pipe snowboard)
  • Bode Miller (1 gold 1 silver 1 bronze - USA - alpine skiing)
  • Maria Resich (2 gold - Germany - alpine skiing)
  • Magdalena Neuner (2 gold 1 silver - Germany - baithlon)
  • Charles Hamelin (2 gold - Canada - short track speed skating)
  • Tessa Virtue & Scott Muir (1 gold - Canada - ice dancing)
  • Alexandre Bilodeau (1 gold - Canada - freestyle skiing moguls)
  • Jung-Su Lee (2 gold - Korea - short track speed skating)
  • Meng Wang (2 gold - China - short track speed skating)
  • Marcus Hellner (2 gold - Sweden - cross country skiing)
  • Simon Ammann ( 2 gold - Switzerland - ski jumping)
  • Sven Kramer (1 gold 1 silver - Netherl;ands - long track speed skating)
  • Canadian Men's Curling Team (1 gold)
  • Martina Sablikova (2 gold 1 bronze - Czech Republic - long track speed skating)
  • Torah Bright (1 gold - Australia - half pipe snowboard)

Then there are those who didn't win gold but performed amazingly under some of the worst circumstances...Petra Majdic and Joannie Rochette are prime examples

And for our Canuck and Yank friends, perhaps the men's ice hockey team will top off the games :)

Edited by eusebius65

So, some nominees for star of the Vancouver Games:

• Marit Boergen (3 gold 1 silver 1 bronze - Norway - cross country skiing)
  • Shaun White (1 gold - USA - half pipe snowboard)
  • Bode Miller (1 gold 1 silver 1 bronze - USA - alpine skiing)
  • Maria Resich (2 gold - Germany - alpine skiing)
  • Magdalena Neuner (2 gold 1 silver - Germany - baithlon)
  • Charles Hamelin (2 gold - Canada - short track speed skating)
  • Tessa Virtue & Scott Muir (1 gold - Canada - ice dancing)
  • Alexandre Bilodeau (1 gold - Canada - freestyle skiing moguls)
  • Jung-Su Lee (2 gold - Korea - short track speed skating)
  • Meng Wang (2 gold - China - short track speed skating)
  • Marcus Hellner (2 gold - Sweden - cross country skiing)
  • Simon Ammann ( 2 gold - Switzerland - ski jumping)
  • Sven Kramer (1 gold 1 silver - Netherl;ands - long track speed skating)
  • Canadian Men's Curling Team (1 gold)
  • Martina Sablikova (2 gold 1 bronze - Czech Republic - long track speed skating)
  • Torah Bright (1 gold - Australia - half pipe snowboard)

Then there are those who didn't win gold but performed amazingly under some of the worst circumstances...Petra Majdic and Joannie Rochette are prime examples

And for our Canuck and Yank friends, perhaps the men's ice hockey team will top off the games :)

I don't understand. Why you have Canada's men's curling team and Tora Bright there? Also why Sven Kramer? I mean, why not Charlotte Kalla, 1 gold and 1 silver, Petter Northug with 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze? If you have the men's curling winner why not ladies then? Actually Anette Norberg defend the gold from Torino. It's big I think.

To add to the list for performer with no gold but still a amazing performance: ANJA PÄRSON!

I don't understand. Why you have Canada's men's curling team and Tora Bright there? Also why Sven Kramer? I mean, why not Charlotte Kalla, 1 gold and 1 silver, Petter Northug with 1 gold, 1 silver and 1 bronze? If you have the men's curling winner why not ladies then? Actually Anette Norberg defend the gold from Torino. It's big I think.

To add to the list for performer with no gold but still a amazing performance: ANJA PÄRSON!

My list wasn't meant to be complete and is subjective, so feel free to add whomever you wish. As for Torah Bright the reason I have her listed is (1) she's an Aussie and (2) she crashed in her first run in the final then stomped the second to blitz all her competitors.

So...add some more, contribute and go from there :)