Were you born in an Olympic Year?

OneTimeOnly

Where you born in an Olympic year and were you born before the games began that year, making them the first games of your lifetime?

I was born in the Olympic year 1968, in June, making Mexico City '68 (opening ceremony held October 12th) the first games of my lifetime.

What about you?

I'm from '62, so not an Olympic year. (But it does mean that this year's Year of the Tiger is my lucky one). I had to wait till I was two, for Tokyo (or one and a half for Innsbruck).

I have very vague memories of Mexico City, but the first I can really consciously remember watching were Munich.

Where you born in an Olympic year and were you born before the games began that year, making them the first games of your lifetime?

I was born in the Olympic year 1968, in June, making Mexico City '68 (opening ceremony held October 12th) the first games of my lifetime.

What about you?

I also born in 68

but about two months before the opening

I was born in a FIFA World Cup year, 1986... So not an Olympic Year... Hahaha

Me too! I guess it would've been an Olympic year if the IOC decided to seperate the winter and summer games by 2 years a decade before hand. I don't remember the Seoul games at all, but I vaguely remember Barcelona, namely watching the triatholan.

My mother was born in 1960, just two weeks before the winter games in Squaw Valley.

Nice thread! smile.gif

Me too! I guess it would've been an Olympic year if the IOC decided to seperate the winter and summer games by 2 years a decade before hand. I don't remember the Seoul games at all, but I vaguely remember Barcelona, namely watching the triatholan.

You sure?

Triathlon was introduced at Sydney 2000. :)

• 1 year later...

I was born in a Fifa World Cup year which as a football fan has usually meant more to me, although I have always considered the even years of birth as better compared to odd ones, as silly as that may sound.

Born in '78. Moscow would have been the first Olympics of my lifetime. I attended the LA '84 Games at the tender age of six and have crystal clear memories of them. Saw Greg Lougainis, Mary Lou Retton, Carl Lewis compete in person. Remember the way the whole city was decorated for the Games, pin-trading in Exposition Park, the Olympic Arts Festival. It was a magical time. Recently watched "Sixteen Days of Glory" again and cried.

I was born in '81 so not in an Olympic year. First Olympics with a vague memory was Seoul'88 where I remember hearing people talking about it on TV.

First memory of an actual game was Albertville'92 with the battle between Kristi Yamaguchi and Midori Ito, also watching the closing ceremony on TV.

It wasn't until '98 in Nagano that I was hooked by the Olympics and have been faithfully following each Games since then.

Born in 1975... so not an olympic year, not a World Cup year !!!

My first sports memory is the French Open Final Noah vs Wilander in 1983.

My first overall olympic memory is the 1984 Los Angeles Opening Ceremony.

My first sport olympic memories is Ice skating at Calgary 1988 and the Track & Fields events at Seoul 1988

My first winter olympics as a spectator are the 1992 Albertville Games

My first full games on TV (and the last so far... enjoying my student period !) are the 1996 summer Atlanta Games

My first summer olympics as a spectator are the 2000 Sydney Games

My first (and last so far) full summer games as a spectator are the 2004 Athens Games

My first full winter games on venues are the 2006 Torino Games

Born during the Albertville Games, so my first full Olympics were those held in my country :lol:

My first Olympic memory is Sydney's cauldron lighting, but the first Games I followed were Athens 2004 (I just missed the beginning of the Opening Ceremony). The first Winter Games I watched were Torino 2006.

Archived