A Beautiful Opening Ceremony

Missing: unless I missed it, there was no build-up nor a purposeful build-up to the formation of the 5 rings as in...

- the 5 colored tribes in Atlanta

- the horses in Sydney

- the 5 moveable native Americans' drums and ris of fire at the end, Salt Lake

- early rins of fire in the water in Athens

- the techno 5 rings in Torino just before the atheltes marched in...

- the LED lights on a blak scrim lit by the fairies in Beijing early on...

where was that tonight? :blink:

am i the only one doesnt like the opening ceremony????? :S

I liked 2 or 3 parts of it...and not because they are Winter Games-related.

I have a question for Kendegra and Baron: How did you both react when the indoor cauldron got stuck?

Thanks for asking, F.

I didn't panic...but I thought...OK, Atkins has been thru this before (Sydney)...and actually I thought..how much longer are they going to stretch this...or will they just go ahead and go with the 3? Which I'm glad they did. (I think the lessons to be learned tonight are: (1) rehearse for every eventuality; and (2) NOT to have too many moving parts to your cauldron thinga-ma-jig.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

sorry guys may be u react me sooo fiercely but..... i really dont like british countries opening ceremonies ( salt lake vancouver atlanta ..) ... except australia....

:S even london 2012 is hopeless for me after Beijing ....

but rio could be awesome:)

ah by the way why no one can think about this.... if they can use some chemicals even can the fires colour change into green purple and white ????

ahahahah the cauldron looks like kebab house oven

hahahahahahahah :D

Thanks for asking, F.

I didn't panic...but I thought...OK, Atkins has been thru this before (Sydney)...and actually I thought..how much longer are they going to stretch this...or will they just go ahead and go with the 3? Which I'm glad they did. (I think the lessons to be learned tonight are: (1) rehearse for every eventuality; and (B) NOT to have too many moving parts to your cauldron thinga-ma-jig.)

M.

I wonder if there something fell down into the tray (during the show - e.g. the fake snow, something from the costumes, etc. etc.), which seised the mechanic - furthermore I looks like that the crystal ice beams of the cauldron were the totem poles (they just added arms and hats) - was there made a fault when they changed them into the beams?

Then after the disaster with the cauldron they whisked Gretzky into some random pickup truck and drove him threw the streets in the poring rain like it was some kind of county fair.

I can only imagine what was going thru Gretzky's mind: boy, they f*cked up big...and it had to be at this momment. I think he was putting on a brave face while being driven to the other location...and I'm sure he was thinking...OK, at least in the other place, they're not going to be super-ambitious!!

I didn't panic...but I thought...OK, Atkins has been thru this before (Sydney)...and actually I thought..how much longer are they going to stretch this...or will they just go ahead and go with the 3? Which I'm glad they did. (I think the lessons to be learned tonight are: (1) rehearse for every eventuality; and (2) NOT to have too many moving parts to your cauldron thinga-ma-jig.)

Didn't the story of the LA's emergency scenario ever cross your mind (which was, by the way, one of the most amazing and surprising stories in your book)?

I can only imagine what was going thru Gretzky's mind: boy, they f*cked up big...and it had to be at this momment. I think he was putting on a brave face while being driven to the other location...and I'm sure he was thinking...OK, at least in the other place, they're not going to be super-ambitious!!

And the outdoor cauldron almost didn't light because of the rain. :o

M.

I wonder if there something fell down into the tray (during the show - e.g. the fake snow, something from the costumes, etc. etc.), which seised the mechanic - furthermore I looks like that the crystal ice beams of the cauldron were the totem poles (they just added arms and hats) - was there made a fault when they changed them into the beams?

I don't know; I can't say, M. The 4 golem looked translucent and were upright. The 4 sides-pokes of the cauldron were to rise at a bent angle plus have the gas lines...so I don't think they were one and the same.

We'll probably know in a few days. It might've have been TowerGuy doing a little sabotage!! :D

olympia_eroeffnung__338282b.jpg

the shape of the totem pole looks like a plastic tubulars which are filled with air - they just need to pull it off

You mean...like a condom? :o

So the condom on the 4th one got stuck? Maybe so!! :lol:

So for the underground stagecraft that came from the floor, they must've had to raise the floor 5 feet or so...to accommodate all the effects rising from the floor.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

You mean...like a condom? :o

So the condom on the 4th one got stuck? Maybe so!! :lol:

yeah - exactly like a condom (when you look onto the ground you can just see four squares where the joints of the poles are..) - I doubt that there is space for another four beams...

er_ung_gal1_18_HA_S_337393b.jpg

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I really like the Opening Ceremony ! :)

Today is the Chinese New Year. I watched the Live OC with my family this morning. I have to say the Opening Ceremony is very wonderful and impimpressive for me. The whole show is so beautiful. Moreover, I feel very touched when I heard the poem. The Canadians should be very proud of their country.

WELL DONE VANCOUVER !!

================================

And Happy Chinese New Year from Harbin !

20100212-4313946.jpg

I got back home about two hour agos....it was a great experience, it's in my hometown, and i'm simply happy that it's in my city.

I've watched about an hour of the tv coverage, and I have to say that in person it was a much, much better experience....the commercials this time around for both NBC and CTV seem to be much longer than previous so a lot of stuff gets cut out and the camera view doesn't give the ceremony justice.

I am shocked that the luger died, and it has really set a somber mood on television broadcasts on what should be a celebratory television event. RIP.

Still, Canadians are still out in the streets in the tens of thousands partying it in the streets.

If there was something I was dissapointed with:

- the patriotic poem was far too much for an international audience, it would be perfect if it were only Canadians watching but it simply didn't fit for a global audience.

- there's also the cauldron...OMFG what happened?!!!! This is Atkins' second cauldron failure at an Olympic Opening Ceremony, and it created an anti-climax mood to the Opening (at least in Sydney, the problem was fixed). I applaud him for the creativity in the idea, and it was probably by far the most complex cauldron design to date...so why risk it?

- Gretzky being droven to the convention centre to light the other cauldron....a bit too much, and certainly even more anti-climax.

I didn't think our full potential was shown in this Ceremony...but I still loved it, - mainly the artistic elements: it ties itself with Salt Lake. Overall, I'd say it beats Torino's Ceremony and ties itself with Salt Lake as being the best Winter Games opening.