How Do You Rate Your Local Broadcaster's Coverage of Vancouver 2010

In the UK we have both the BBC and Eurosport. It seems there are so many advantages and disadvantages to watching either broadcaster - I guess in Europe we are lucky to have a choice with the current EBU deal (not for much longer!)..

BBC is good due to no adverts and multi screen - you can almost watch whichever event you want as they have 4 or 5 things on at the same time.

Eurosport has a superior HD channel with 24/7 coverage and one of the highest bitrates of any HD channel (about 18Mbps), expert commentary as the channel show winter sports all season long and the adverts are very strategically placed so only when there is no action taking place (The Opening Ceremony was non stop, for example), but you can only watch one thing at a time, meaning if it ain't being broadcast, you can't watch it on Eurosport.

am just sticking with the beeb and the red button multi-screen is good - my only issue is that the beeb's broadcast is a bit hit and miss - nothing on from 7pm till they go live at 11.30pm - could do with more medal ceremony action - not seen one yet and ok - so what - but to me it would have been good to have seen the guy from canada get his medal in BC place?

the oc commenatry by hazel irving grated (bring back barry davis for london 2012) - love the Balding but she is only on during the day!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it is going to be a preview of how your Brazilian home TV network will do, when Rio de Janeiro 2016 comes. It could be a tall order, when that network has to give highlights to other international networks to use. Right now, CTV is the network that is the home network for Canada and for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

In 2016, we will have three major networks broadcasting the games:

Globo (4th biggest TV network in the planet (even bigger than BBC) and very used to olympic and World Cup events. A TV that, often, have good job on sports).

London 2012 will be the first time since 1972 that Globo is not broadcasting the games.

Band (4th biggest TV in Brazil, but also known as "your sports station", so good people too and broadcasted the previous games) and

this piece of sh%$ called Record (2nd biggest network in Brazil but not used to international events, since they are new to this position in the market).

Besides that in cable we have SporTV a good sports channel very very used to Olympic broadcasts.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

All the commericials are to be expected to an extent, but what I don't like is how the cover up their beautiful aerial images with ads. Why bother capturing the beatufy of Canada if you're only going to cover it with an ad? It started with Beijing, and it will probably continue for as long as NBC continues to be the US broadcaster. Stop teasing me, NBC.

I'm looking forward for the Closing Ceremony credits, when they won't place ads over BC's coastal mountains.

This is my biggest pet peeve as well!!! Before Beijing this was one of the reedeming qualities of NBC's coverage but now it is ruined. You get a glimpse of downtown Vancouver or the mountains of British Columbia for maybe a second before being plastered with ads from Chevrolet, McDonald's, P&G, etc. - then you get another second before it cuts to commercial where there are even more ads! I so hope that ABC takes over coverage! The only network that would be worse than NBC would be FOX.

Now that i've gotten that out of the way - I have to say that I don't find the overall coverage nearly as annoying as it was in Beijing, Torino, and Athens. Katie Couric being gone probably helps, now if we can get rid of Bob Costas it will be even better.

NBC wastes too much time with the humanitarian side, but they've cut that back for these games. The thing that's impressed me tremendously, is when I turned on Curling today and see Colleen Jones. OMG, that's a major plus for NBC Colleen Jones is a curling rock-star! I'm totally positive and impressed by NBC's coverage so far, supplemented of course by their internet video.

This is my biggest pet peeve as well!!! Before Beijing this was one of the reedeming qualities of NBC's coverage but now it is ruined. You get a glimpse of downtown Vancouver or the mountains of British Columbia for maybe a second before being plastered with ads from Chevrolet, McDonald's, P&G, etc. - then you get another second before it cuts to commercial where there are even more ads! I so hope that ABC takes over coverage! The only network that would be worse than NBC would be FOX.

Now that i've gotten that out of the way - I have to say that I don't find the overall coverage nearly as annoying as it was in Beijing, Torino, and Athens. Katie Couric being gone probably helps, now if we can get rid of Bob Costas it will be even better.

Wow, totally disagree. I enjoy NBC's coverage, and I like Bob Costas, and I hope NBC continues to be the rights holder for the games. I also like the human stories a lot. The ads, you just have to deal with them or move to a country with state funded commercial free television networks.

NBC's programming is heinous, and the major, major issue.

No, come on, that's an over reaction. What do you want?

Wow, totally disagree. I enjoy NBC's coverage, and I like Bob Costas, and I hope NBC continues to be the rights holder for the games. I also like the human stories a lot. The ads, you just have to deal with them or move to a country with state funded commercial free television networks.

My brother has a few video's of Nagana 1998 from CBS, and that was pretty good. I agree NBC is good for Summer, as it's the only broadcaster I can remember or know of. But the stuff from CBS for Winter Games looked pretty good, I think a change up could be nice for Winter coverage.

My brother has a few video's of Nagana 1998 from CBS, and that was pretty good. I agree NBC is good for Summer, as it's the only broadcaster I can remember or know of. But the stuff from CBS for Winter Games looked pretty good, I think a change up could be nice for Winter coverage.

The CBS Albertville and Nagano coverage was pretty decent. But I like NBC's style. I accept the ads over the vistas because it's a commercial network. All I want is more live coverage for the Mountain and Pacific time zones (even though I live in New York. my family is in California, and I plan on moving back eventually).

I accept the ads over the vistas because it's a commercial network.

I accept those ads too. Thing is though, before Beijing, they were small and on a corner. It's plain odd of them to go out of their way to capture such incredible images only to plaster them with ads. Seriously.

And I would like more LIVE coverage everywhere. I wanted to see the Downhill or Snowboard Cross live for example. Is it really going to hurt primetime ratings much if they orginally air these events in the middle of the day when most people aren't home? They already have Brian Williams on Nightly News reporting the results....

These Games are taking place on the North American continent, on a time zone behind me. It's disappointing I have to wait hours after an event to watch it. I can accept tape-delayed coverage for a European Games, but not for a Games in Canada.

However, NBC does an outstanding presenting the event. The hosts and commentators are tolerable-to-great, the stories and segments are touching and compelling, and I get a sense that they know what “the big picture” is.

I accept those ads too. Thing is though, before Beijing, they were small and on a corner. It's plain odd of them to go out of their way to capture such incredible images only to plaster them with ads. Seriously.

And I would like more LIVE coverage everywhere. I wanted to see the Downhill or Snowboard Cross live for example. Is it really going to hurt primetime ratings much if they orginally air these events in the middle of the day when most people aren't home? They already have Brian Williams on Nightly News reporting the results....

These Games are taking place on the North American continent, on a time zone behind me. It's disappointing I have to wait hours after an event to watch it. I can accept tape-delayed coverage for a European Games, but not for a Games in Canada.

However, NBC does an outstanding presenting the event. The hosts and commentators are tolerable-to-great, the stories and segments are touching and compelling, and I get a sense that they know what “the big picture” is.

Unfortunately, 75% of the U.S. population lives in the Eastern and Central time zones, so as it stands now, if 75% of the country is seeing things live, they think "well, that's enough."

I think he means he doesn't like tape delay for prime-time, when they're reporting the results during NBC Nightly News. I agree, but I think the only other thing they could do is push the Organizers to move events to 5:00-8:00pm Pacific Time, and the light isn't the best in the afternoon/evening during the winter, as long as prime-time is the money maker, I think we'll have to deal with NBC delaying events to show in the most lucrative time slot.

Evidence CTV is taking this too seriously:

Their consortium has its own legal entity as 7048467 Canada Inc. A numbered company. As the shell for the joint ownership of their coverage. Amazing...it would help if you had some good coverage to go with it. Although I applaud your marathon efforts, NBC for the first time, is doing relatively well in comparison. Note the word, "relatively", which means although this year as usual, they've found ways to screw it up already, but at least they're trying to be good.

And please, CTV, you stole the Hockey Theme away from NBC, and you promised you'd use it for the hockey coverage. Where is it? Maybe they should have tried to steal away CBC's Olympics theme too while they were at it.

So far most of the coverage I've been watching has been on Foxtel here in Oz, thanks mostly to the fact I want value out of my $50 I paid for the privilege plus Nine's delayed coverage has been effectively scheduled around the timeslots for their usual primetime shows. Last night I caught a little of Mick Molloy doing a comic take on ice hockey with some Canadian Pee Wees and that was okay. However for the serious sports coverage that's live it's been Foxtel all the way.

So far, TV broadcasts in Brazil sucks. Timeslots are something they completely ignore. Live transmissions are often interrupted, or completely replaced, by reruns of previous events.

The Internet broadcast has been far more reliable so far, and has gained much praise from the fans. Unfortunately, not all events have commentators, but that's something that most of us can live. Thanks to the Internet I was able to watch all the skating events so far, which have been severyly mistreated by the Free to Air and Cable Tv. Yesterday, they stopped broadcating man's figure skating right after Plushenko's results, which made everybody watching miss the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th placed routines. Go them ¬¬

Mick Molloy on Channel Nine here in Oz just made a nice reference to the French-Canadian protests about the Opening Ceremony not being balanced (i.e. 50/50 English/French). Molloy said to honour this local arrangement he'd do his sequence 50% English and 50% rude to anyone else... :P

Revenge for Jean Drapeau et Montreal? :D

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/02/17/the-olympics-dont-tell-me/?src=tptw

Interesting, but in the end the news "value" of the results will always take importance over the entertainment "value" of viewing the event. The idea that in this connected world in which we live is one where you can block out information you don't want to know is quaint, yes you can shut off your computer, your television, your cell phone, not read newspapers, not talk to anyone, and be "pristine" to view an event, but we're far away from the days when not being "spoiled" was possible. I like NBC's coverage, although I do have an issue with events taking place, and NBC is busy showing talk shows. But I also think that people like to bitch, and this guy would be complaining the same way if NBC showed all the events live, and he was unavailable during the event, and they still announced the results on the news.

Just so you get some idea of how much we all love Eddie 'The Dick Head' McGuire here on Channel 9's coverage:

Eddie McGuire offends

SEAN NICHOLLS AND LEESHA MCKENNY

February 19, 2010 - 7:50AM

Caused offence ... Eddie McGuire

"Racist, insular, lowest common denominator, uninformed, homophobic, dull, cheesy, irrelevant, flag-waving … like some bastard love child of Rupert Murdoch and Silvio Berlusconi."

It seems Eddie McGuire's hosting of the Winter Olympics for Channel Nine is not to everyone's taste, including that of one unimpressed person who posted the above comment on the popular Facebook page "Eddie McGuire is ruining the 2010 Winter Olympics coverage" yesterday afternoon (members: 195 and rising).

Criticism of McGuire hit fever pitch following comments that he and comedian Mick Molloy made during Wednesday night's replay of a performance by the figure skater Johnny Weir.

Nine was inundated with complaints of homophobia after the pair quipped about Weir's outfit.

(Example: Molloy - "They don't leave anything in the locker room those blokes." McGuire - "They don't leave anything in the closet either, do they?")

Channel Nine declined to comment.

Now I'm not saying that EM is the most appropriate person for hosting Vancouver 2010 coverage far from it. I actually loathe the goose (and for Melbournites here this is nothing to do with me being pro or anti Collingwood...it's just because he's a twat). But....this is what the viewers of Channel Nine should have expected as a result of their consistent support via ratings for the dullard. The quickest and easiest way for anyone to lose their job on free to air TV (unless you piss off the late unlamented Kerry Packer) is to not rate.

So...stop whining, switch off or go with Foxtel, and keep that same attitude when the AFL season gets under way. To paraphrase Obama...Get McGuire Off Aussie TV? Yes We Can!

Just so you get some idea of how much we all love Eddie 'The Dick Head' McGuire here on Channel 9's coverage:

Now I'm not saying that EM is the most appropriate person for hosting Vancouver 2010 coverage far from it. I actually loathe the goose (and for Melbournites here this is nothing to do with me being pro or anti Collingwood...it's just because he's a twat). But....this is what the viewers of Channel Nine should have expected as a result of their consistent support via ratings for the dullard. The quickest and easiest way for anyone to lose their job on free to air TV (unless you piss off the late unlamented Kerry Packer) is to not rate.

So...stop whining, switch off or go with Foxtel, and keep that same attitude when the AFL season gets under way. To paraphrase Obama...Get McGuire Off Aussie TV? Yes We Can!

If you want verification, note the fact that the other guilty party was Mick Molloy. This is the bloke Big Kerry actually yanked off and cancelled his show mid-air.

My eyebows sure raised when I heard that oaf Molloy was gonna be the "comic relief" for Channel 9's Vancouver. He's no Roy and HG, he ain't even close.

If you want verification, note the fact that the other guilty party was Mick Molloy. This is the bloke Big Kerry actually yanked off and cancelled his show mid-air.

My eyebows sure raised when I heard that oaf Molloy was gonna be the "comic relief" for Channel 9's Vancouver. He's no Roy and HG, he ain't even close.

Mick has his talents but yes, he ain't Roy & HG. But at least for Channel Nine's sake he's not Doug Mulray :P

Evidence CTV is taking this too seriously:

Their consortium has its own legal entity as 7048467 Canada Inc. A numbered company. As the shell for the joint ownership of their coverage. Amazing...it would help if you had some good coverage to go with it. Although I applaud your marathon efforts, NBC for the first time, is doing relatively well in comparison. Note the word, "relatively", which means although this year as usual, they've found ways to screw it up already, but at least they're trying to be good.

And please, CTV, you stole the Hockey Theme away from NBC, and you promised you'd use it for the hockey coverage. Where is it? Maybe they should have tried to steal away CBC's Olympics theme too while they were at it.

How do you see NBC's coverage in Canada? Do you live close enough to the border that you pick up NBC signals over the air?