How Do You Rate Your Local Broadcaster's Coverage of Vancouver 2010

Hello ! I'm very happy to join the Games Bids community !

I'm from France and I have to say, France Télévisions' OC commentators were very very ... annoying

They didn't stop talking during the ceremony, even during the first 30 seconds of the songs and the anthems and they splitted the screen several times with always the same images of Mountains. The end credits appeared just after the lighting of the indoor cauldron without any reference to the lighting of the outdoor one.

I hope sports coverage will be better.

Sorry for my English.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NBC just had a great segment on the cauldron malfunction last night. They're sooo good at such things.

Yeah, I love those Jimmy Roberts segments. The Chris Collingsworth ones are pretty good too.

NBC is starting to anger me with the amount of ads. They just came back from break, showed two ski jumps, THEN WENT BACK TO BREAK! I know they need to get there money back, but its getting ridiculous.

Bottom line, it's a commercial network, not a public broadcaster. Enough said.

I've been pleasantly surprised with Channel 9 this morning. Great to see Phil Liggett up at Whistler for continuity.

Missed that as I thought I might actually get some sleep :P

Phil is a true professional and one of the absolute best commentators...knowledgeable, knows when to speak and when to shut up (a skill so many others have no freakin' idea of) and of course is THE MAN for cycling.

NBC is starting to anger me with the amount of ads. They just came back from break, showed two ski jumps, THEN WENT BACK TO BREAK! I know they need to get there money back, but its getting ridiculous.

All the commericials are to be expected to an extent, but what I don't like is how the cover up their beautiful aerial images with ads. Why bother capturing the beatufy of Canada if you're only going to cover it with an ad? It started with Beijing, and it will probably continue for as long as NBC continues to be the US broadcaster. Stop teasing me, NBC.

I'm looking forward for the Closing Ceremony credits, when they won't place ads over BC's coastal mountains.

To me, NBC has done an okay job. I really HATED how they didn't air the OC live here on the west coast. The beginning really got me excited with their intro segments.. The Canada/US relation segment was really good. Then there was almost a two hour time break till the OC Began on tape delay.. Really Pissed me off!!! During the OC, there was limited commercials which was good and I wish they would have eased on the commentary. NBC has done a good job presenting the games which I also like. Outside the Olympics, in my opinion, NBC is terrible. So with my poor taste of NBC, I have to give them some credit, they have done pretty well so far. So there is my opinion!

Here's something new, CTV is using their own graphics during hockey, it kinda looks like the stock Rogers Sportsnet scorebar, except its got a transparent white glossy background and black glossy pods for the scores, and its got the flags of course.

That, is an improvement I must say. Why can't NBC do that with their own stuff? They're clearly editing in their own L3's in the "stock" style at times, but yet I haven't seen this happen before.

Anyone from the UK care to give some details or opinions on their local coverage? I would expect the BBC have a half decent effort at least, even if British medal chances are about the same as Kyrgyzstan's...

I noticed we're crossing to some of the Beeb's coverage in Nine's broadcast (I can't remember if it was the ski jumping or the biathlon).

I noticed we're crossing to some of the Beeb's coverage in Nine's broadcast (I can't remember if it was the ski jumping or the biathlon).

I think both SR...Foxtel has also been using them for those sports. Ice Hockey seems to be Canadian sourced.

I actually have been pretty happy so far with the scope of the coverage thanks to having Foxtel (had to pay an extra $50 for it though). Channel 9's coverage hasn't been getting much attention in our house because of the pay TV, and you can forget the evening free to air as it's been delayed by first the league on Saturday night and the cricket last night. Then there's the Eddie 'dickhead' McGuire factor...

One day we'll have the perfect games broadcast down under, when the ABC gets given the dollars by the government to mount a successful tender for Olympic rights. Of course I also expect to see a downhill run off Mount Kosciuszko when Canberra gets the 2026 OWGs and I do believe I just saw an expectant pig flying past my window...

Actually, I thought Foxtel/Nine were excitedly touting that they had Michael Buble co-commentating for us for the ice hockey.

Ugh...Michael Buble (makes sounds akin to parking a liquid tiger on the carpet).

Foxtel have been pushing the male Anne Murray like no tomorrow. Course if you believe the reports in the trash mags etc he's too busy smoking weed and being a mad rooter to worry about the ice hockey (hence the expression couldn't give a flying puck :P ).

Until we repeat Squaw Valley and get a team in the OWG ice hockey tournament we'll continue to get that level of asinine broadcasting.

In the UK we have both the BBC and Eurosport. It seems there are so many advantages and disadvantages to watching either broadcaster - I guess in Europe we are lucky to have a choice with the current EBU deal (not for much longer!)..

BBC is good due to no adverts and multi screen - you can almost watch whichever event you want as they have 4 or 5 things on at the same time.

Eurosport has a superior HD channel with 24/7 coverage and one of the highest bitrates of any HD channel (about 18Mbps), expert commentary as the channel show winter sports all season long and the adverts are very strategically placed so only when there is no action taking place (The Opening Ceremony was non stop, for example), but you can only watch one thing at a time, meaning if it ain't being broadcast, you can't watch it on Eurosport.

In the UK we have both the BBC and Eurosport. It seems there are so many advantages and disadvantages to watching either broadcaster - I guess in Europe we are lucky to have a choice with the current EBU deal (not for much longer!)..

BBC is good due to no adverts and multi screen - you can almost watch whichever event you want as they have 4 or 5 things on at the same time.

Eurosport has a superior HD channel with 24/7 coverage and one of the highest bitrates of any HD channel (about 18Mbps), expert commentary as the channel show winter sports all season long and the adverts are very strategically placed so only when there is no action taking place (The Opening Ceremony was non stop, for example), but you can only watch one thing at a time, meaning if it ain't being broadcast, you can't watch it on Eurosport.

Eurosport is down here as well but has no Vancouver coverage aside from what is referred to in their news channel. I've always been an admirer of how the BBC approach sport, but like all traditional broadcasters I would think they're feeling the pinch from cable, satellite and even online.

Here's something new, CTV is using their own graphics during hockey, it kinda looks like the stock Rogers Sportsnet scorebar, except its got a transparent white glossy background and black glossy pods for the scores, and its got the flags of course.

That, is an improvement I must say. Why can't NBC do that with their own stuff? They're clearly editing in their own L3's in the "stock" style at times, but yet I haven't seen this happen before.

NBC formerly did utilize their own graphics in their Olympic telecasts from Seoul to Barcelona and up to Atlanta, which in the latter I think were distinct and specific from the sports graphics they were regularly using at the time. They were different from what the IOC broadcasts used then.

Still haven't seen the opening ceremony yet. Will do so soon.

SporTV here in Brazil did a fine job. There wasn't any commercial breaks that I'm aware of. The commentators were slightly more aware of their surroundings than their Rede Record counterparts XD It annoyed me a little bit how they would go on and on about the delegations uniforms. Was that really relevant or necessary? Still, it worked quite well. The guy doing the simultaneous translation was quite good at his job. Still, it would have been nice to be able to change the audio here in Brazil. I've checked both Record and SporTV and neither allowed me to turn off their commentators. Is this a standard practice with Olympic Broadcasts?

Record TV made of its broadcast a humour-horror show.

Lots of mistakes on information or lack of information...

They tryed to compare anything in Canada to Brazil... Believe me, Record made Brazilians posters in GB during 2016 race become some non-patriotic people...

They said that the Rocky Mountains of Canada is something like the historic city of Ouro Preto, because both are Unesco Mankind Heritage places... Or that part of the guy flying over the fields of Canada, Record commentators insisted it was a girl!!!!!!

Annoying!!!

Record is not used to this kind of event and definitively we will suffer in London 2012, since they have exclusive rights.

In terms of the OC although I did watch CTV's coverage I later watched NBC's coverage and found their's to be alot better and I think they explained the overall show a bit better. In terms of the games the only thing that is bothering me at this moment with CTV is they don't show alot of the important moments like clips from medal ceremonies or flower ceremonies those types of things they just continue to flip to the next sport.

ARD and ZDF are our public TV-channels and showing Olympic Games without commercials, what I really like! Vancouver 2010 are the first Games which are shown in HD - what is great, since I watch TV digital. Two "sub-channels" of ARD and ZDF are showing parallel other events, which are not shown in the two major channels.

I prefer the TV-coverage of ARD due the commentators and experts...

Furthermore we can watch the German speaking version of Eurosport, which give the opportunity to choose always a third way to watch the Olympic Games here in Germany

SporTV here in Brazil did a fine job. There wasn't any commercial breaks that I'm aware of. The commentators were slightly more aware of their surroundings than their Rede Record counterparts XD It annoyed me a little bit how they would go on and on about the delegations uniforms. Was that really relevant or necessary? Still, it worked quite well. The guy doing the simultaneous translation was quite good at his job. Still, it would have been nice to be able to change the audio here in Brazil. I've checked both Record and SporTV and neither allowed me to turn off their commentators. Is this a standard practice with Olympic Broadcasts?

Well, it is going to be a preview of how your Brazilian home TV network will do, when Rio de Janeiro 2016 comes. It could be a tall order, when that network has to give highlights to other international networks to use. Right now, CTV is the network that is the home network for Canada and for the 2010 Winter Olympics.