CTV has done something odd

Lirodon

"Wow, you've become as strict as Major League Baseball?" is all I had to say when CTV ran a copyright disclaimer just a few minutes ago warning that retransmission/rebroadcast/etc of the Olympic coverage is forbidden without expressed written consent of the broadcast consortium. Those 3 words, are something I usually associate with baseball, and you probably know why.

Just wondering, has any other broadcaster done anything similar in Beijing or this year? I know they started to crack down on this stuff alot more for Beijing, but I specifically remember only seeing any sort of similar disclaimer last year during TSN's coverage (which was probably a "broadcast produced by CBC, not us, go figure." message) or something.

"Wow, you've become as strict as Major League Baseball?" is all I had to say when CTV ran a copyright disclaimer just a few minutes ago warning that retransmission/rebroadcast/etc of the Olympic coverage is forbidden without expressed written consent of the broadcast consortium. Those 3 words, are something I usually associate with baseball, and you probably know why.

Just wondering, has any other broadcaster done anything similar in Beijing or this year? I know they started to crack down on this stuff alot more for Beijing, but I specifically remember only seeing any sort of similar disclaimer last year during TSN's coverage (which was probably a "broadcast produced by CBC, not us, go figure." message) or something.

We've had those disclaimers for the games going back to (in my memory) at least Atlanta.

We've had those disclaimers for the games going back to (in my memory) at least Atlanta.

Having checked my footage SR I can confirm that for Aussie broadcasters. There was nothing on Lillehammer then bang, Atlant a and it becomes all 'IOC expressly prohibits yadda yadda...'. I have actually had a small brush with this policy recently on YouTube when I uloaded the London hand over sequence from Beijing...the grey eminences at YT blocked it because it was 'copyrighted to NBC' which pissed me off considering it was from Channel 7's coverage plus it's nearly 2 years ago.

Methinks the Wily Old Falangist's ideas still live on when it comes to the IOC and social networking media.

Yea I am not impressed. I wish the IOC had an official youtube account. Its not like they don't have videos and they can't use the broadcaster rights excuse. The IOC has the sole proprietary rights to the footage, the networks have a copyright of the commentary.

And it is strange for us Canadians because CBC was never like this and much more relaxed about youtube videos etc.

Edited by Faster