Horrific crash in luge

... who saw "For Your Eyes Only"?

Maybe you don't know it, but one stuntmen died, when the movie was filmed in Cortina d'Ampezzo - Bond is chased and jumps with his ski in the bob run - then there is a bob - Bond jumps out of the run and the scene is over in the movie

The guys in the bob were stuntmen - the bob jumped out of the run and flew against a tree - one of the stuntmen was dead - and the scene was used for the movie although there was this terrible accident...

This accident happened altough the guys didn't want to win a race - it was their job - Nodar Kumaritaschwili wanted to win the race...

That is sad, but you won't be able to change that...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

... who saw "For Your Eyes Only"?

Maybe you don't know it, but one stuntmen died, when the movie was filmed in Cortina d'Ampezzo - Bond is chased and jumps with his ski in the bob run - then there is a bob - Bond jumps out of the run and the scene is over in the movie

The guys in the bob were stuntmen - the bob jumped out of the run and flew against a tree - one of the stuntmen was dead - and the bob, which had this accident is even visible in the movie.

Such terrible things can happen...

And they didn't change the run after this terrible accident - and nobody asked that this scene is cut out of the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sks0bi7aPLw

The track was actually changed after that crash (which was only a week after the death of James Morgan in the '81 worlds).

The track was actually changed after that crash (which was only a week after the death of James Morgan in the '81 worlds).

... yes the track was changed and should have been safe - but another deadly accident happened in 2003 - Eugenio Monti died...

Of course I can understand the shock after Nodar's dead and that is extremely sad, but we shouldn't overreact - there is no 100% safety - otherwise we shouldn't use cars - shouldn't leave our flats and even in our flats accidents can happen...

... yes the track was changed and should have been safe - but another deadly accident happened in 2003 - Eugenio Monti died...

Of course I can understand the shock after Nodar's dead and that is extremely sad, but we shouldn't overreact - there is no 100% safety - otherwise we shouldn't use cars - shouldn't leave our flats and even in our flats accidents can happen...

Eugenio Monti committed suicide because he couldn't stand living whit Parkinson...

Only way to 100% avoid acidental track exit is to make it a tube, and someone will still eventualy die in a sliding wreck, probably due to collision with the sled or wall/ceiling/bounce impact. There is no way to eliminate the risk. The exit walls should be raised at any critical point(this seemed to be a FATAL MISS at WSC), allow open access to practise on any new course. All sport will go higher, faster, one day this track will be slow.

Strength to the family, friends, team, this was a terrible (avoidable) accident.

sorry - that was my mistake I misunderstood something!

Well, its true that its an easy mistake to make (especially since the Cortina track was re-named after him the year he died).

Anyway, I guess there is really no point for us to debate this. What is done is done, and lets hope it won't happen again.

Constructions of such bob tracks are subject of construction laws (like rollercoasters) - the bob run in Whistler was built by a company, which has built a lot of bob tracks in the last 40 years - the bob track in Sochi will be built by the same company - every construction is an issue between the company, the federation, the IOC and the hosting organisation team...

Leipziger Ingenieurbüro plant keine Änderungen an Sotschi-Bahn

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I decided to put a little dark humor spin on this whole thing...

The Soul of the Whistler Sliding Centre spoke out on early Saturday morning regarding the death of Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili at an impromptu press conference.

"I first want to express my apologies for the mess that happened before the opening ceremony," said the Soul. "However, I wanted to make it clear that I have a preference: I want a Canadian to win the men's luge singles. I have zero tolerance for Georgian prima-donnas who have no business being here in a small town like this. I kid you not.

More...

I am very unsure whether Loch and Möller can keep their nerves. Möller has no self confidence and Loch is too inexperienced.

Well so far it looks as if it might be a Deutschland 1-2 unless Zoeggler pulls a miracle out of the hat or we see an almighty crash. Hals und beinbruch junge (he says with barely intelligable German)

BAKURIANI, Georgia — The body of the Georgian luger killed during a practice run at the Vancouver Olympics was flown Wednesday to his hometown, where his grief-stricken mother threw herself on his coffin and cried: "Why have I survived you?"

Nodar Kumaritashvili's body arrived in a flag-draped coffin at the Georgian capital's airport before dawn, met by relatives and onlookers. The 21-year-old is to be buried Saturday at a churchyard in Bakuriani, a village of about 1,500 that is located in one of Georgia's most popular winter sports regions.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iLIZsQjhT7gzm3roYubtgFAci6rQD9DTRPBG0