Horrific crash in luge

It is unbelievable that those multiple beams at the end of that turn are not concealed behind a wall of some kind, in case someone came off the track just as this young man did!

I pray that this guys family and friends find strength as they deal with this devastating and tragic loss.

JOINT STATEMENT FROM IOC, VANOC AND FIL

It is with great regret that we confirm the death of the Georgian luge athlete, Nodar Kumaritashvili, during the final training session at the Whistler Sliding Centre, this morning.

Mr Kumaritashvili died after crashing on the last corner of the course during training. Doctors were unable to revive the athlete, who died in hospital.

“Our first thoughts are with the family, friends and colleagues of the athlete. The whole Olympic Family is struck by this tragedy, which clearly casts a shadow over these Games”, said the President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Jacques Rogge.

“We are deeply struck by this tragedy and join the IOC in extending our condolences to the family, friends and teammates of this athlete, who came to Vancouver to follow his Olympic dream”, said John Furlong, the CEO of VANOC, the Games Organising Committee.

For the International Luge Federation, President Josef Fendt said: “This is a terrible accident. This is the gravest thing that can happen in sport, and our thoughts and those of the ‘luge family’, are naturally with those touched by this event.”

An investigation is underway into the circumstances of the accident. Training was suspended and technical officials are now trying to establish the causes.

IOC

Dreadful news sad.gif

A number of people have worried about the safety of the track for a while according to the BBC.

I've heard many comments on the track, such as that it was designed backwards (i.e. the more technical elements are at the bottom, not the top). An American slider (I don't remember which one) said a couple of days ago that his first taught when he saw the track is "somebody is going to get killed here". Tragic that he turned out to be right...

Awful news, and undoubtedly one of the biggest shadows over any games. I'm sure all athletes, organisers and fans must feel saddened right now...I know I sure do.

Also watched the news conference with Rogge and the VANOC team...I was impressed by the humanity shown by all involved. These guys are high flying officials used to a reasonably good life with the luxury of being sometimes treated as VIPs, but during the press conference they showed that they understood the sadness of this tragedy.

I don't get something. Wasn't this run tested and retested before being given the o.k.?

This is why you called it an accident.... everything can happen.... i know a person that broke is tooth completely by eating an hod dog... What I'm trying to say is, yes investigation have to be done... but in the other ends that doesnt mean they is a reason for his death... If feel terrible, for him, for his family, for john furlong, for the fact the games start today.... how can you party when the games start with a so tragic note? But maybe his death will be kind of an inspiration to others. The message of john furlong at the press release was really touching. he was almost crying... even rogges was out of word. I hope he will be remembered.

This is an awful tragedy and my heart goes out to his family,friends,the Georgian team and also to the VANOC organizers.This is about the worst possible thing to happen on the eve of the opening of the Games. :(

Will modifications be made to the luge track in the light of this tragedy and will there be sufficient time to make them or will luge events now have to be postponed?

Expect that some sort of tribute will be made at the Opening Ceremony later!

I don't really understand why anyone would want to watch his crash. I'm actually really glad that I didn't see his training run... I think it would haunt me for a very, very long time if I actually saw it. I still don't know how I'll react when I see Luge competitions tomorrow...

I'm gonna think about this tragedy during the whole OC... This news ruin my mood. Hopefully, this accident will force organizers to plan more on safety than on speed and broken records.

Poor Georgians. This is the second olympics in a row that start with bad news for them.

I don't really understand why anyone would want to watch his crash. I'm actually really glad that I didn't see his training run... I think it would haunt me for a very, very long time if I actually saw it. I still don't know how I'll react when I see Luge competitions tomorrow...

I saw the crash before I knew he died and even then it was shocking. I don't want to see it ever again.

And what makes this even worse: He is the first dead athlete in the history of the Olympic Winter Games. Boy, I feel terrible for Vancouver.

he's actually the third. the first 2 happend in both in innsbruck to a luge athlete and a skier.

R.I.P.

he's actually the third. the first 2 happend in both in innsbruck to a luge athlete and a skier.

R.I.P.

Also, I believe some other guy (dont remember the name and his sport speciality) died as well in Albertville 1992, just during his training before he would took part on the finals.

well, what shall I say - everything has been said before...

My thoughts are by his family and his friends - it is a sad accident, but I am sure that he loved his sport and he would never have "excpected" that the Games are cancelled or that we shouldn't "enjoy" the Vancouver Olympics...