Do I need Canadian Currency?

I am American and will be in Vancouver. I was just wondering if I need Canadian dollars in Vancouver. Or will US dollars be accepted? Thank you for any information.

Well, you have two options,

One, at some places (McDonalds/Tim Hortons, etc), you can use US cash, but you will get change closer to parity with the Canadian dollar

Two, Using the currency converter places at the airport, banks and a couple of places downtown (Granville St has one next to a Burger King downtown. IIRC it is a block from the Bay Superstore)

Hope this helps

That'll teach you not to take Visa to the games.

Oh well, you can savour the tastes from home at MacDonalds.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. I am taking Visa to the games and was just asking about spending money. As for the "MacDonalds" comment, is that supposed to be a slight against Americans calling us fat? I haven't eaten McDonald's in years because it is unhealthy for me and I am a competitive hockey player. All I wanted to do was make sure I need to convert money (which I was already planning to do) because I have never been to Canada. Are you insulting me or am I misinterpreting what you are saying because if I am disregard what I just said.

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. I am taking Visa to the games and was just asking about spending money. As for the "MacDonalds" comment, is that supposed to be a slight against Americans calling us fat? I haven't eaten McDonald's in years because it is unhealthy for me and I am a competitive hockey player. All I wanted to do was make sure I need to convert money (which I was already planning to do) because I have never been to Canada. Are you insulting me or am I misinterpreting what you are saying because if I am disregard what I just said.

Mate, chill. Juyst a joke.

:)

I would suggest simply taking some Canuck bucks out from an ATM up here. You'll almost certainly get a better exchange rate than at a currency exchange. And I'm not sure US debit cards (except Visa debit) will work up here. We have a totally separate banking system.

I wouldn't use US$ cash, since you'll be effectively paying a surcharge of 5-10% on everything.