GamesBids' Vancouver 2010 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

I know the aerial view of Vancouver is nice, but how long will it take to get to the external cauldron?

Wow! That thing is HUGE!

A boring piece of sh!t.

A modest effort by a modest nation.

Before I get lynched by all the Canucks ... Kidding, of course

B)

Seriously, take a bow Canada. Simply outstanding. You've set the new standard. There's just so much to comment on, but I guess that'll be up for us to dissect over the next days. But altogether visually breath-taking, but done seemingly so simply. And it did seem to me to come from the soul of Canada.

Great one guys!

While the ohter post is not lit... my small review.

Probably the best WOG OC ever? I think so, but it is not exactly a compliment, considering the others weren't that good.

Visually, it raised the bar, but sometimes the acts took so long.

Unfortunately, this OC will now be remembered because of the "missing pole" and the "dead athlete". Sounds too simple? Maybe, but that is how it will be remembered.

It was creative because the lack of fireworks (for safety issues), but I think, considering the proportion of Beijing and Vancouver, that it didn't create the Wow effect.

And now, the anti-climax... the second torch!

I guess I still have to recover from that shock.

Furthermore, I don't understand why light the outdoor cauldron after the opening ceremony broadcast has finished. They should have lit it immediately after the indoor cauldron. That way, the outdoor cauldron will always be the secondary and less known of both cauldrons.

OK, now a verdict about the ceremony:

It was a mixture of embarrassing and even annoying elements (including not only the cauldron failure -- which will most probably haunt Vancouver throughout Olympic history -- the Furtado/Adams song and the unenthusiastic behaviour of the audience during the parade of nations) and moments of sheer magic, emotion and awe. The projections were even better than Beijing's. Sometimes the segments were too lengthy and sometimes I missed a central theme connecting all ceremonial parts. But maybe I'm just spoiled by Beijing's scroll concept. ;)

I really need to relax now, my heart is still pumping heavily from the cauldron failure. I don't want to see something like that ever again. Needless to say that the failure killed the magic of the moment.

Oh, now ARD is showing the lighting of the outdoor cauldron. Everything works fine. Phew!

I think I'm glad that the indoor cauldron didn't need it's 4 legs to keep standing...And too bad for the people inside BC Place..they are missing the fireworks. Unless they project them on the roof!

I dunno what to make of that

But as an Aussie could see lots of Sydney 2000 influence in it (considering the same bloke did SYD & YVR) but the need to repeat the Sydney 2000 Cauldron mishap in Vancouver was a bit much :lol:

The projection parts looks great

Some bits dragged on too much

The usual brown-nosing to the "aboriginals"

Don't think will be watching this DVD much anytime in the future. Pretty forgettable

Alisa Camplin remains gorgeous :lol: