GamesBids' Vancouver 2010 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

I'm not upset that there was a lot of french in the public address announcers. After all, Canada has two languages.

Just that it was used first. BC is not Quebec, there's no laws that make french go first.

I'm glad they didn't refer to Michelle Jean as head of state because she is not, our head of state is Queen Elizabeth the II. Unless i heard it wrong, as I don't have good hearing.

I'm missed Georgia going in, live on CTV, so I'm watching the repeat of the NBC show. I think it's bad that the US West Coast has to watch it taped delayed. I mean it's not like it's in Europe or anything, it's in the same time zone. (I'm waatching on NBC West (Seattle on Bell TV), to see how they are after the death of their athlete this morning.

I was very happy with it overall. The embarrassing hydraulic issues not-with-standing. The culture segment was brilliant, reflecting all of Canada from Newfoundland to BC. I loved the fiddle segment and the wheat segment was extremely moving. I am happy and satisfied. I loved the cohesive seasons segments and a bit of civic pride with Wayne Gretzky and Pauline Johnson having elements in the ceremony. The us of literature, poetry, opera and ballet as a means to convey the ceremony was brilliant. I loved the use of high culture to show Canada's culture. It was coherent, breathtaking and emotional. John Furlong's speech was moving and the response to the Georgian team was unbelievable.

I didn't even mind Bryan Adams and Nelly Furtado. And the incorporation of the aboriginal art and culture was done extremely well, a little forced at times, but the inclusion of all aboriginals was fantastic. I am overall very happy. There is also moments that drag, moments that grab and moments that bring emotion and joy.

Its Olympic protocol to have French then English. It has nothing to do with Canada. At every Olympics its French then English then the host language.

Edited by Faster

Overall, I disagree with that. It was the most innovative, inventive, Olympic Winter Games ceremony to date.

I agree with the innovation but at least with me it did not feel inspiring and strong emotions..I think it had lack of dancing and energy! That could be it

And Youtube started to delete every Vancouver vid. Ah, the magic of copyright bitchin' :rolleyes: Its going to be a pain in the ass to rewatch it later.

God bless Terra.tv, without them i couldnt be able to watch the ceremonies. As for Justin.Tv they didnt needed to ban me or the other people just for watching for god sake <_<

I enjoyed the ceremonies. The visuals were amazing. Really loved the whales, the acrobats on the mountain, the kid in the cornfield segment, the segment where there in a fores. I also loved the rendition of "O Canada" by Nikki Yanofsky, this girl has major talent.

The parade of nations was quite boring until the ending neared when the the USA entered then Canada.

It really sucks that the lighting of the cauldron screwed up. It did look kind of weird that one of the columns didn't come out of the ground. You could so tell something was missing on that cauldron. That was kind of embarrassing.

And seriously did the world have to be put through the pain of watching k.d. lang sing. I can't stand to look at this thing.

WOW! What were those projections!?! Vancouver raised the bar much above BC Place's roof. Awesome music. Too much tapdancing. Loved that moon. Sarah was great. Nice parade of nations. The whales! THE WHALES!! Countdown and ski jumper were nice. Definitely the best Winter OC I have ever seen. Very touching poetic moments and thumbs up for that Peter Pan like segment: pretty closing-ceremony-ish.

The dead athlete somehow haunted the entire ceremony... Scary olympic anthem. Canadian anthem deserves much more than that. WTF with that ugly cauldron! It was so ugly and shy it refused to "come play with us". A screwed cauldron lighting every 10 years: David Atkins must die before he starts a "new tradition".

Are you kidding? Lack of dancing? Seriously? There was dancing all over the frigging place!

I'm talking bout real energy and dancing, look at the past olympic ceremonies, don't u feel something was missing? Well that's my opinion

I see that different - the best cauldron lightning is and will be the Sydney cauldron - the lightning in the water bassin and the raising of the cauldron ring (and Cathy standing in it)

Beg to differ. Sydney lighting was horrible and boring. Best cauldron lighting forever will be Barcelona '92. So simple, yet so dramatic, and just made you go WOW!.

David Atkins can stay away from our olympic cauldron. And so can Bombardier. o.o

I see that different - the best cauldron lightning is and will be the Sydney cauldron - the lightning in the water bassin and the raising of the cauldron ring (and Cathy standing in it) - and then the transport of the ring to the top of the tribune was just awsome - I will never forget that in my life!!

I completely agree with you.

I can't believe the stupid cauldron door would not open. And I can't believe they couldn't find a way to have someone run out there and move it.

In any event, I think the cauldron is kind of ugly. But I suspect there is significance to the four bowls plus the centre bowl. Most likely the Four Host Nations.

In general, I thought the ceremony was well done and very innovative. No one will ever be able to beat what Beijing did (however, in my opinion, the best OC every was Sydney 2000. )

I'm talking bout real energy and dancing, look at the past olympic ceremonies, don't u feel something was missing? Well that's my opinion

Nah, in fact, the part I disliked most was the fiddling and tap dancing part. I didn't really care for it after the canoe and the moon. Hated the dudes with the mohawks and tattoos. Hated that music. Hated the tap dancing.

But also, don't compare winter games ceremonies with summer ceremonies, you simply can't do that, they are different animals, apples and oranges.

And I can't believe they couldn't find a way to have someone run out there and move it.

That's what I kept thinking! Someone just run the f*** out there and open the damn door!

Nah, in fact, the part I disliked most was the fiddling and tap dancing part. I didn't really care for it after the canoe and the moon. Hated the dudes with the mohawks and tattoos. Hated that music. Hated the tap dancing.

But also, don't compare winter games ceremonies with summer ceremonies, you simply can't do that, they are different animals, apples and oranges.

yea I know the summer and winter games difference, all I wish was more energy, all the smoothness and violin music seemed a baillet theatrical concert, but pretty that I agree

Beg to differ. Sydney lighting was horrible and boring. Best cauldron lighting forever will be Barcelona '92. So simple, yet so dramatic, and just made you go WOW!.

I love the Barcelona lighting, too, but Sydney was a kind of allegoric lighthning - the olympic fire raises out of the sea - the sea of Oceania - just wonderful and poetic!