GamesBids' Vancouver 2010 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

Dear RioOCOG or whatever is your name, should our cauldron have hydraulics...check them! check them like there's no tomorrow!

I dunno what to make of that

But as an Aussie could see lots of Sydney 2000 influence in it (considering the same bloke did SYD & YVR) but the need to repeat the Sydney 2000 Cauldron mishap in Vancouver was a bit much :lol:

The projection parts looks great

Some bits dragged on too much

The usual brown-nosing to the "aboriginals"

Don't think will be watching this DVD much anytime in the future. Pretty forgettable

Alisa Camplin remains gorgeous :lol:

I definitely agree about the Sydney 2000 references ard but beg to differ on the overall opening ceremony...this was easily the best WOG opening since 1994. There were sequences in the OC that will remain classic (e.g. the prairie scene, the orca projections, k.d.lang performing 'Hallelujah') and whilst I felt at times it was a rejigging of Ric Birch et al work for Sydney 2000 there was plenty of Canadian flavour. I was particularly taken by Shane Koyczan's poetry, and the use of Donald Sutherland as narrator was also cool.

As for the cauldron, well that was probably the only less than satisfactory section. Gretzky was a lock for the last torchbearer but his stature as an athlete overshadowed the technically and I also think artistically flawed cauldron.

Dear RioOCOG or whatever is your name, should our cauldron have hydraulics...check them! check them like there's no tomorrow!

And if an Aussie tells you they have a great engineering plan for a cauldron - politely say thanks, but no thanks!

And don't get Bombadier to build it.

• Like 1

A comment from someone that seen it in real at the rehearsal.... it's much better on TV !!!!

I believe that - I wonder how the whales look like for the audience in the dome...

-> note in my notebook - don't buy ticktets for the London Opening Ceremony - go with Lee, Roland, V., TNMP, Robert, Michael etc. etc. ;) to a pub with a big TV screen instead of spending a lot of money for the tickets - that will be much more more fun

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

And don't get Bombadier to build it.

We would never do so! It's a matter of national pride XD Bombardier is EMBRAER's, the Brazilian aerospace company, archnemesis!

I guess I still have to recover from that shock.

Furthermore, I don't understand why light the outdoor cauldron after the opening ceremony broadcast has finished. They should have lit it immediately after the indoor cauldron. That way, the outdoor cauldron will always be the secondary and less known of both cauldrons.

Only in Germany I guess, here in the U.S. the broadcast did not finish until the outdoor cauldron was lit.

I suppose something stick in the tray - therewith the tray couldn't open and the crystal couldn't been raised...

I am sure baron and Mo will explain that in every detail

I believe that - I wonder how the whales look like for the audience in the dome...

-> note in my notebook - don't buy ticktets for the London Opening Ceremony - go with Lee, Roland, V., TNMP, Robert, Michael etc. etc. ;) to a pub with a big TV screen instead of spending a lot of money for the tickets - that will be much more more fun

The Whales look very great inside BC Place. My best memory with the singers.

And regarding watching it on TVs... i am warning everyone to do so from months... I made the mistake 6 years ago !!!!!!!!!!

The woman who sang the Olympic hymn must have had the biggest hair of any opera singer I've ever seen whilst the lighting of the cauldron was a little bit too complicated for my liking with first an inside and then an outside lighting but it all looked impressive in the end.

I enjoyed the whole thing.Most of the effects were fantastic,especially the blowing whales and the boy running across the prairie sequences.Well done,Vancouver!

Saddest part was the entry of the Georgia team.They looked devastated and I wanted to rush out and hug them.I'm sure the rest of the audience felt the same.

Now on with the Games,but first,I must try and grab a few hours kip!! B)

And if an Aussie tells you they have a great engineering plan for a cauldron - politely say thanks, but no thanks!

I see that different - the best cauldron lightning is and will be the Sydney cauldron - the lightning in the water bassin and the raising of the cauldron ring (and Cathy standing in it) - and then the transport of the ring to the top of the tribune was just awsome - I will never forget that in my life!!

I would hardly call it forgetable. It had its fair share of epic moments.

I have to say I loved the cultural segment, of course it will never be as grand as Beijing but for a Winter Games it was very very well done. The low light for me was the entering of the Olympic Flame though... The floor looked bland and maybe cuz of the acoustics but it really didn't feel 'exciting' with the mini relay inside BC place. Of course the final cauldron lighting... a real OH SH!T moment but I think the general public may not know (yet) that there were suppose to be four pillars... a bit underwhelmed and anti climatic at the end definitely.

A-