Team GB's Tea Room @ Vancouver 2010

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get Confy! Pour yourself a cuppa and help yourself to a piece of cake.

Of course Sir Roltel - anything for nobility. I think our main hopes are in the Skeleton and the mens curling. I really hope our Bobsled performance is of a better quality than the garments that

I'm sorry, the service is just not up to scratch in here. We have been forced to take on this "community service" waitress.

Well, the men's curling team seem to have got back on track with a convincing win against France. And the ladies beating China was also a good result.

Does anyone want to join me for a wee dram in celebration?

whisky.jpeg

Take your pick.

Well, the men's curling team seem to have got back on track with a convincing win against France. And the ladies beating China was also a good result.

whisky.jpeg

Take your pick.

What? No Talisker?!! :o And if that's Glenmorangie hiding behind the Dalwhinnie get it out laddie, get it out :)

From 5/2/2010:

London Olympics chiefs will fly to Vancouver for the Winter Games next week on a fact-finding mission.

A 50-strong team from the 2012 Games organising committee will try to learn about operational aspects — including giant, city-wide TVs — and possible pitfalls.

Locog chief executive Paul Deighton said: “This is the last Games before we are next host city and it's a big learning opportunity.

“We learned a lot in Beijing about the sports side and this time we will be focusing more on things like transport, the village, catering, accommodation and accreditation. It's particularly about the interaction between the Games and the city.”

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23802616-london-olympics-chiefs-fly-out-to-study-winter-games.do

I suppose there will be a kind of "fan-feast" in London like the ones in Whistler and Vancouver with the different "houses" of the participating countries - what do you think will be the place for it in 2012 (I mean outside of the Olympic Park)?

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

whisky.jpeg

Take your pick.

I will be saving my calibration till after we beat Switzerland,

Fingers crossed ,

Methinks the real reason why there's been so much sniping from the Brit press is that we haven't won any medals here,unlike in Beijing!

We seem to be suffering from the same malady as our Canuck cousins...this strange desire to win something.Very un-British and very un-Canadian.I just don't know what's got into us these days!! :blink:

Anyway,sod the podium and all that crap...I invite you all to join in me in a nice pint of Joseph Holt's finest bitter (the cream of Manchester).

Cheers!!! :D

Holt%27s_bitter.jpg

And a fine ale it is too.

As for the whole 'media' thing, I think people need to get a grip. Of course there are going to be questions asked when an athlete is killed and hasty safety improvements are made after the incident. If the organisers don't understand that, then they are in the wrong business as far as I'm concerned. Regardless of the issues over access to the course, it appears quite clear that insufficient safety measures were in place for a track as fast as this and somebody needs to be made accountable for that. If things go wrong, what are the media supposed to do? Ignore them? Pathetic!

With the luge tragedy I think you're not far wrong. That should be taken on its own as a separate story, and reported on seriously, as the weight of the tragedy deserves. But there's been a lot of bitching about minor things which are unfair and this is, I think, symptomatic of a nastier side to our press which does have a tendency to overamplify the negative.

On the one hand I've seen some very sensitive and balanced reporting about the luge accident and the BBC, unlike some American news networks, are to be commended for choosing not to show it. On the other hand, you get some jumped up journo from the Guardian, for reasons known only to himself, who decides to write about "the latest fiasco threatening to make these Games the worst in Olympic history"....two days into the Games! I think we have the dubious honour of having some of the best and some of the worst journalists working in this country. Unfortunately, as the worst of them are all too aware, negativity travels faster, and that's all the Canadians are hearing about our reporting of the Games.

There is no doubt that there are certain elements of the British press that are distasteful, even to someone like myself. I didn't like the way in which the tabloids pursued John Terry for example, though one has to concede that he brought a lot of that on himself by virtue of the fact that he got everyone onto the story by trying to take out that super-injunction at the High Court.

But if the organisers are complaining about the British press, I can only assume that they'll also be moaning about the article in Sports Illustrated headlined "Gaffes Galore at the Glitch Games". There is no doubt that things have not gone according to plan in more than one area. And more than that, one poster on the BBC discussion on this subject has posted an article from last July stating that they were warned they would have weather problems and chose to ignore them. I think it is only right that questions are asked in that context.

As for the idea that it's all based on no British medals - nobody with any intelligence can seriously believe that surely.

I didn't say it was just the British press that's been unfair on Canada. But perhaps it is leading the way.

With regard to the weather, to say they've ignored the possibility of less than ideal conditions, when there were literally truckloads of snow from other areas being whizzed up the moutains, is rather odd. The warmest winter for half a century was just a bit too much for some things to go ahead as planned - that certainly doesn't warrant the phrase "worst games ever" to be bandied about so early into the Olympics. If we have a very, very wet summer in 2012 I certainly hope conclusions won't be drawn quite as quickly by international journalists as some of our own have on Vancouver's efforts.

The idea that it's all based on no British medals is ridiculous, you're right.

• Like 1

With regard to the weather, to say they've ignored the possibility of less than ideal conditions, when there were literally truckloads of snow from other areas being whizzed up the moutains, is rather odd. The warmest winter for half a century was just a bit too much for some things to go ahead as planned - that certainly doesn't warrant the phrase "worst games ever" to be bandied about so early into the Olympics. If we have a very, very wet summer in 2012 I certainly hope conclusions won't be drawn quite as quickly by international journalists as some of our own have on Vancouver's efforts.

The point that is being made is that they were told they could well have problems (apparently it's because of El Nino) and they had the option to move events, but chose not to.

The point that is being made is that they were told they could well have problems (apparently it's because of El Nino) and they had the option to move events, but chose not to.

You are focking delusional to think events could be moved with less than 8 months before the Olympics. And where the h@ll would they be moved to? The Sea-to-Sky highway is jammed pack with buses and cars shuttling people between Whistler and Vancouver without an addition 12 events and 8,000+ spectators for 14 of the 16 days of competition. Cypress was the only option unless they wanted to go 4+ hours into the interior of BC. They had contingency plans in case of bad weather and put them into effect.

There was, is, nor could have been an option to move the events because of the logistics of it were and are untenable.