Team GB's Tea Room @ Vancouver 2010

Lee

Congratulations, Britain! I really hoped for a British medal -- it's always an appropriate reward for the British Olympic tradition (participating in each edition of the Games, even of the Winter Games, despite not being a winter sports stronghold) when there's at least one British medal also at the Winter Games.

Was jumping for joy at 4am this morning when I came in from a night out and heard the news of Amy's Gold. My friend had texted me but I had to see it with my own eyes. First solo gold since Robyn Cousins win in 1980....WOW!

Typical that it's the first evening coverage that I have missed and it just happens to be the night we win a medal. Tut! :rolleyes:

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

Was jumping for joy at 4am this morning when I came in from a night out and heard the news of Amy's Gold. My friend had texted me but I had to see it with my own eyes. First solo gold since Robyn Cousins win in 1980....WOW!

Typical that it's the first evening coverage that I have missed and it just happens to be the night we win a medal. Tut! :rolleyes:

Maybe you can arrange to be out a bit more often Lee...then we might win a few more medals!! ;):P

Edited by Mainad

You are focking delusional to think events could be moved with less than 8 months before the Olympics. And where the h@ll would they be moved to? The Sea-to-Sky highway is jammed pack with buses and cars shuttling people between Whistler and Vancouver without an addition 12 events and 8,000+ spectators for 14 of the 16 days of competition. Cypress was the only option unless they wanted to go 4+ hours into the interior of BC. They had contingency plans in case of bad weather and put them into effect.

There was, is, nor could have been an option to move the events because of the logistics of it were and are untenable.

Thanks Faster. I have to admit that I've been wondering too if in hindsight it would have been better to have the Cypress events at Whistler. I figured it musta been transport issues, as you said. And that's even with the Sea-to-Sky highway.

Still, seven years ago, would it have been feasible or viable to provide a rail link to Whistler (though I assume this would have sent the crackpot PC anti-Olympic activists into even bigger frenzy)? I guess this may be a topic that'll end up being debated a lot in the aftermath of the games.

Sorry Guys - didn't mean to hijack the Tea Room and go off topic. Good for Amy!

Darjeeling, please.

You are focking delusional to think events could be moved with less than 8 months before the Olympics. And where the h@ll would they be moved to? The Sea-to-Sky highway is jammed pack with buses and cars shuttling people between Whistler and Vancouver without an addition 12 events and 8,000+ spectators for 14 of the 16 days of competition. Cypress was the only option unless they wanted to go 4+ hours into the interior of BC. They had contingency plans in case of bad weather and put them into effect.

There was, is, nor could have been an option to move the events because of the logistics of it were and are untenable.

I'm only reporting what other people are saying. Kindly put your toys back in the pram and learn to read.

Our Curlers need to hold there nerve and not overturn like our Bobsleigh.

We know they can do it.

But it would be so funny to see a curler turn over :lol:

Team GB chiefs defend Olympic tally of one medal

By Lewis Wiltshire

BBC Sport in Vancouver

Amy Williams has won Britain's only medal so far

British Olympic bosses have defended Team GB's achievements at the Winter Olympics following criticism that they have won just one medal so far.

Short track speed skater Jon Eley provides GB's sole realistic chance of adding to Amy Williams' skeleton gold.

"We have achieved what we set out to do," said Team GB chief Andy Hunt.

"We never set a target. We just said 'better than Turin'. Amy's gold checked off that objective. We would have liked more but that is a good outcome."

Eley competes in his final event, the 500m, in Vancouver on Friday.

You can't blame the athletes at all - none of them are going out there and thinking fifth or sixth is OK

In the Turin Olympics four years ago, Shelley Rudman's silver, also in skeleton, was Britain's sole medal.

UK Sport, the governing body which decides how much funding Olympic athletes receive, set a target for Team GB of three medals of any colour but Hunt is happy his team has gone one better this time.

Five-time Olympic gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave, vice-president of the British Olympic Association, was alongside Hunt at the briefing for British media in Vancouver.

He added: "I don't think there is a sense of disappointment - I think there is a sense of celebration of winning that gold medal. I would take one gold medal over five bronze medals any day.

"The team has performed amazingly well. The expectation was that we had six medal chances, but we have only delivered one so far. Is that a disappointment? Can you say we had six bolt-on medal chances? I think the answer is probably No.

"We have had one medal so far and, excellent as that is, we are not that surprised. You can't blame the athletes at all - none of them are going out there and thinking fifth or sixth is OK."

However, Hunt said the BOA would launch a "strategic review" after the Olympics, and admitted that his organisation could support funding being even more channelled towards genuine medal hopes than it currently is.

"There is an opportunity to consolidate funding to focus on certain winter sports," he admitted.

Skeleton has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of that funding model so far - taking £2.110m out of a total budget of £5.822m from UK Sport for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic cycle.

Adam Pengilly, a skeleton athlete who has just been elected to the IOC athletes' commission, said: "To go from one to three medals in one Games given the level of funding was always going to be difficult.

"We have to get the funding right and make sure the governing bodies do govern. If you have funding you can extend your athletic career."

The challenge for us now is to make sure the home team is really at the centre of the Games because the Games will largely be judged by the success of the home team

Andy Hunt,BOA chief executive pointed out that 64% of the GB team in Canada are competing at their first Olympics, and 17% are 21 or under.

The BOA says its research suggests most medal wins come at an athlete's second Games, so they are already looking towards Sochi 2014 in Russia.

Hunt said: "One gold is a tremendous achievement. This is not like the Summer Olympics - these are unpredictable sports. The funding we get is minimal and we have given a lot of the athletes the opportunity to compete at their first Games."

According to Hunt, also the BOA chief executive, there were two other objectives aside from bettering Turin - personal bests for as many GB athletes as possible, and gaining key lessons for London's summer Olympics in 2012.

"There have been eight personal bests," Hunt said. "We have had seven top 10 placements - we had nine in Turin so we are just short of that but we're not through yet and there could be more."

Although two of those top 10 placements come in curling, where only 10 teams compete, Hunt pointed out that the British curlers still had to qualify in both the men's and women's events.

In terms of London, Hunt said the enormous enthusiasm the population of Vancouver, and Canada in general, have shown for these Olympics, could be a double-edged sword.

"All of us have been totally amazed by the way the Canadian nation have been absolutely entwined with these Games, and [organising committee] Vanoc and the Canada team have also been right there at the centre of the Games.

"The challenge for us now is to make sure the home team is really at the centre of the Games because the Games will largely be judged by the success of the home team.

"But we have seen the flip side of that - the huge expectations set for the Canadian athletes beyond what they have achieved.

"The pressure on [Canadian skeleton athlete] Melissa Hollingsworth was really immense. So you also have to manage the disadvantages of being at home."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/vancouver_2010/8537873.stm

I blame it on Lee.He's obviously been staying in too much! :P

Never mind...let's all have a nice cuppa! :)

tea_cup_small.jpg

Edited by Mainad

I agree with that article. no one expects anything , but we hope to win meddles just as much for the personal achievement of the athletes as national pride,with the gold being the hardest trick to pull.

And an outstanding achievement.

Payback for finical impute isn’t the top consideration.

After the disappointment of the curling as worn off it will be the Gold everyone remembers, with Amy Williams up for sports personality of the year.

I really don't see anything wrong with GBR's performance in Vancouver - we only had a few medal hopes anyway - one of them paid off and we won the gold. One medal for Britain at a Winter Games is pretty standard lately. I'm quite pleased with the result.

Britain shouldn't make the mistake that I think some in Canada may have made where every medal hope is considered a medal certainty. Winter sports seem to be far less predictable than their summer counterparts anyway - there's no event where a medal can be guaranteed - being world champion does not mean you will automatically become Olympic champion.

.... and I would like a black Earl Grey with a slice of lemon and a macaroon, please. smile.gif

I knew I recognised him. Allyn Condon in the GB 4 man bob was in our 4x100m winning team at the 2002 commonwealth games in Manchester. According to wikipedia he is only the 2nd Brit to have ever competed at both Summer and Winter Olympics. Making a mental note for future quiz nights. I wonder who was the first?

• Like 1

So now that is all over rare we pleased with our Gold YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Also

ABBA WORLD at Earls Court closes in London on the 28th of march to head for Melbourne Australia ,

Any one who hasn’t seen this amazing exhibition should do so for it heads for Australia as its final destination will be Stockholm,

And it is very unlikely this unique collection of exhibits and interactive fun.will grace our shores again .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvmaCtDUC6c&feature=player_embedded