Vancouver's German House

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations Germany, Congratulations Magdalena!

I'll raise a stein to her success!

BTW - Was watching the Australian coverage last night, and Katarina Witt came to the Oz Studiop for an interview. A really Classy Lady, and she managed to say her bit for Munich 2018 for Australian viewers as well. I don;t think the other 2018 bids will get that type of exposure here. Good luck Munich!

Congratulations Germany, Congratulations Magdalena!

I'll raise a stein to her success!

BTW - Was watching the Australian coverage last night, and Katarina Witt came to the Oz Studiop for an interview. A really Classy Lady, and she managed to say her bit for Munich 2018 for Australian viewers as well. I don;t think the other 2018 bids will get that type of exposure here. Good luck Munich!

Was this on the 'Eddie McGuire Jingoistic Dick Head Comedy Hour' SR? Bugger...sounds like I missed a highlight (as opposed to the lowlight with Ed the D-Head arguing inanely about DBS's silver).

I think I have somewhere the full interview between Roy & HG and Katarina during Salt Lake...if I can dig it up I'll post on YouTube

I think I have somewhere the full interview between Roy & HG and Katarina during Salt Lake...if I can dig it up I'll post on YouTube

I'd love to see that. You should post it here or in the Roo Bar when it's up! I think our German mates would like to see it to.

I reckon Katarina's a great not-so-secret weapon for Munich in the 2018 race. I don't think the others can match her for her ability to get some extra exposure, plus from what I've gleaned over the years, she is a charmer and charismatic in life as well. Munich's Coe or Gianna.

I'd love to see that. You should post it here or in the Roo Bar when it's up! I think our German mates would like to see it to.

I reckon Katarina's a great not-so-secret weapon for Munich in the 2018 race. I don't think the others can match her for her ability to get some extra exposure, plus from what I've gleaned over the years, she is a charmer and charismatic in life as well. Munich's Coe or Gianna.

Yeah - I would love to watch that too!!!

wow what a terrific day for the German team!

Gold for Hüfner and Neuner, Silver for Wolff and Bronze for Geisenberger

Well done Ladies - yeah I have to get some more Sekt!

Thanks A. - when I watch the pics from Barcelona I remember how exciting the entrance of the nations in Barcelona was - the world had changed a lot between Seoul and Barcelona!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Isn't she just darling? And so down-to-earth. Needless to say that she loves to laugh. :lol: It's always very refreshing to see her here on ARD where she currently serves as an analyst for the figure skating events and as a reporter about interesting places and people in and around Vancouver.

Thank you for posting all these clips, Eusebius! That parade of nations clip of 1992 is particularly interesting since you can see during Australia's parade how the old parading traditions (marching in straight lines, no dancing or jumping around, no cameras etc.) were becoming more and more out of fashion. Note that many Australian athletes took their hats off and placed it on their hearts when they passed the royal box (a very Anglosaxon tradition -- probably they were ordered to do so in advance) while many other Australian athletes didn't seem to care, took their hats off but immediately started waving with it or didn't even take their hats off at all.

Anyway, just not to lose our tradition:

%7B5FAB8830-425F-431A-A509-7BD4E15DB319%7DPicture.jpg

Magdalena Neuner - Olympic Champion

Biathlon, Women's 10 km Pursuit

image-59712-galleryV9-hapo.jpg

Tatjana Hüfner - Olympic Champion

Luge, Women's Singles

The German House in Vancouver is located at the Simon Fraser University Harbour Centre, right beneath the Harbour Centre Tower. In Whistler the German House is located in the Nicklaus North Golfclub near the southwest coast of Green Lake, in Glen Abbey Lane.

very kind, that you posted that video, eusebius!

It is interesting to see how she appears on "foreign" TV...

No worries CAF. As a mere slip of a lad who feel under her spell during the Sarajevo games I've always found KW of interest, and combine that with the greatest comedic talents in Australia today, well talk about Olympic magic!

I've just finished uploading Roy & HG's interview with Jacques Rogge...will post in the General Olympics discussion

No worries CAF. As a mere slip of a lad who feel under her spell during the Sarajevo games I've always found KW of interest, and combine that with the greatest comedic talents in Australia today, well talk about Olympic magic!

... her free programme of Calgary 88 gives me goosebumps - and the end is perfect when she layed down to the bell strokes...

Katharina's Vancouver Diary - sorry in Germany only:

Mein erster Tag in Vancouver (My first day in Vancouver)

use an online translator - it's really a nice diary and you get an impression how lovely "Vancouver 2010" is - you find the other diary entries, when you scroll down - it looks like this - just click on the links:

Katarinas Olympia-Tagebuch

* Recharge The Batteries

* Schade...Schade...Schade (that's a pitty, that's a pitty, that's a pitty)

* Yes They Can

* Traum und Wirklichkeit (Dream and reality)

* Straight From The Heart

* Streng Geheim (Top secret)

* I’m singing in the rain

* Dem Druck standhalten (Withstand the Pressure)

* Rescue me

* Mein erster Tag in Vancouver (My first day in Vancouver)

wow, I just found the official website of the Saxony House in Vancouver!!!!

The song, which you hear is the official Saxony house song by the "Erbschleicher" (in english and german)

I have just read that the Saxony House has neither a link to VANOC nor with the DOSB (German NOC) - the German state of Saxony rented the house on its own and renovated it for its needs...

And here is the official website of the German House in Vancouver, powered by Thuringia: German Fan Fest

wow, I just found the official website of the Saxony House in Vancouver!!!!

The song, which you hear is the official Saxony house song by the "Erbschleicher" (in english and german)

That's a very catchy little number,CAF.Are you a Saxon by any chance? :)

That's a very catchy little number,CAF.Are you a Saxon by any chance? :)

mhh - well the Saxons are a very huge Germanic tribe, which lived from the the north-sea over the center of Germany to the border with Poland and Czechia - maybe I have some saxon blood, but my father is from Swabia and my mother from Hamburg - today we use the word "Saxon" for the inhabitans of "Saxony", which has a border with Poland, Czechia, Bavaria, Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt and Brandenburg - many winter sport athletes are from Saxony.

I just like that little tune - especially the chorus!

:) :) :)

mhh - well the Saxons are a very huge Germanic tribe, which lived from the the north-sea over the center of Germany to the border with Poland and Czechia - maybe I have some saxon blood, but my father is from Swabia and my mother from Hamburg - today we use the word "Saxon" for the inhabitans of "Saxony", which has a border with Poland, Czechia, Bavaria, Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt and Brandenburg - many winter sport athletes are from Saxony.

And of course some of them came to Britain with the Angles back in the 5th century and created us Anglo-Saxons!! ;)

Unfortunately,we didn't inherit any of their winter-sporting abilities! :(:lol:

I just like that little tune - especially the chorus! :) :) :)

Me too.I can't get it out of my head! :)

Edited by Mainad

And of course some of them came to Britain with the Angles back in the 5th century and created us Anglo-Saxons!! ;)

yeah!! :) Do you know that there is a countryside in Schleswig-Holstein (that is the German state between North and Baltic Sea with a border to Denmark), which is called "Angeln"?

Karte-Angeln.jpg

Me too.I can't get it out of my head! :)

LOL - I am singing it the whole time...

;)

... I made a rough translation of the song of the Saxony House:

Ein klaaner Teil von Sachsen - für den Wintersport bekannt, der wird bei uns in Germany auch Erzgebirg genannt

A small part of Saxony - well known for it’s Winter Sport, which is called Erzgebirge, too.

Hier kommen viele Sportler her, die für uns sind am Start – für dieses riesen Sportevent trainierten sie oft hart

Many athletes, who are participating for us, are from here – they trained very hard for this huge sport event.

Olympics here we are – it‘s time for Canada – a place for friendship it will be –here in the house of Saxony

Olympics here we are – it‘s time for Canada – a place for friendship it will be –here in the house of Saxony

Aus Sachsen sind wir hier – uns war kein Weg zu weit – wir alle sind beim Start dabei – es ist Olympia Zeit

We came here from Saxony – no distance would have been too far – we are here right from the Opening – it is time for Olympic Games.

In Vancouver – im Rowing Club ist wieder mal was los – hier unten an der Harbour Bay da feiert Sachsen groß

In Vancouver – we go crazy in the Rowing Club – Saxony is partying here down at the water of the Harbour Bay

Bei Bratwurst, Bier und Sauerkraut und zünftiger Musik wird jeder Wettkampf angeschaut und alle fiebern mit

We watch all events – by Bratwurst, Beer and Sauerkraut and hearty music - and everybody is hanging at the edge

Aus Sachsen sind wir hier – uns war kein Weg zu weit – wir alle sind beim Start dabei – es ist Olympia Zeit

We came here from Saxony – no distance would have been too far – we are here right from the Opening – it is time for Olympic Games.

Sachsen ist ein Land für mich – das kann hier jeder sehen – der weltbekannten Gastfreundschaft kann keiner widerstehen

Saxony is my country – everybody can see it here – nobody is able to resist the worldwide known hospitality

Drum kommt ins Haus of Saxony - hier laden wir Euch ein – Olympia in Canada soll unser Motto sein

Therefore come to the house of Saxony – we invite you – Olympic Games in Canada should be our motto.