Vancouver's German House

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am feeling pitty for Felix Neureuther - who couldn't finished the first run of the slalom

It must be awful to start in one event only - waiting nearly the whole Olympic Games before your competition starts and then you drop out after the first third of the run...

But that is slalom...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

The most exciting thing about this medal was that the Germans already looked undoubtedly as if they lost the race -- but then the Japanese suddenly lost pace on the last two rounds and the Germans made a last dash. Magnificent performance!

So here they are, probably the last German Olympic Champions of the Vancouver 2010 Games:

image-63919-galleryV9-rulm.jpg

Team Germany - Olympic Champions

(Daniela Anschütz-Thoms, Stephanie Beckert, Anni Friesinger-Postma, Katrin Mattscherodt)

Speed Skating - Women's Team Pursuit

And André Lange sensationally snatches the silver medal away from the Canadian four-man bobsledders -- with a lead of only one hundredth of a second.

With that medal, Germany has a total of 29, which equals the number of German medals in Torino in 2006. The only remaining German medal chance is in the men's cross-country 50 km mass start tomorrow, where Tobias Angerer could be successful. But it will be very tough. Probably the German medal count will stay at 29, which is a tremendous success nevertheless. I didn't expect before the Games that we would keep that high number of medals.

Congratulations on a Great Games, Germany! So many highlights, so much depth. You should be proud of yourselves.

Please allow Australia pay for a round of Steins to all in the Vancouver German Haus!

stein08_573x608.jpg

And Germany's success can't have failed to be but a boost for Munchen 2018! Hoppe to see you all there!

geschichte.gif

Edited by Sir Roltel

There are still two decisions to come at the Vancouver Olympics: Cross Country, Men's 50 kilometre classical and Ice Hockey, Men, but the time has come to talk about the performance of Germany at the XXI. Winter Olympics.

I think the team of Germany performed very well at the Vancouver Olympics

I am slightly dissapointed by the Men's result in Biathlon... I know that the Men didn't perform as well as in the past during this season, but I hoped that they "sell themselves" a little bit better at the highpoint. I didn't expected that they win gold, but I hoped that they showed a little better performance (altough the bad weather condition in the sprint, made it nearly impossible for the persuit, but that is valid for the most of other athletes, too)

I am very pleased by the performance in Alpine Skiing - the performance was much more what I hoped - very well done

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

As I said, these Games were a tremendous success for Germany -- especially that, if Canada wins the ice hockey final, Germany will be the second on the medal table both by gold medals and by medal totals. Probably winter sports will have become even more competitive by 2014, but this is certainly a very good basis for the road to Sochi -- and also for the Munich 2018 bid.

What is even more remarkable: Germany won at least one medal on each day, there was no "draught" on any day of competition. That is something the team didn't achieve in Salt Lake and Torino and not even in Athens and Beijing which had a lot more medal events and thus offered a lot more medal chances. Perhaps that streak will continue also today, if Tobias Angerer wins a medal in the cross-country mass start.

I share your opinion, Martin, on the male biathletes. That was actually the only major disappointment for Germany at these Games. But at least their appallingly weak performance was compensated for by the strong performance of our alpine ladies.

As I said, these Games were a tremendous success for Germany -- especially that, if Canada wins the ice hockey final, Germany will be the second on the medal table both by gold medals and by medal totals. Probably winter sports will have become even more competitive by 2014, but this is certainly a very good basis for the road to Sochi -- and also for the Munich 2018 bid.

Yeah - I hope that Munich will receive the honour to host the 2018 Winter Olympics - that would become very exciting!

The Germans show yet again what a powerhouse they are in both Summer and Winter sports!

Congratulations Germany!! :)

And Axel Teichmann sensationally wins Germany's 30th (and last) medal in these Games, in the men's cross-country 50 km mass start!!! Congratulations! The German team has really kept the streak and won at least one medal every day of these Games! WOW!!!

I should add the medal colour: It's silver.

• 2 weeks later...