Vancouver's German House

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took german classes with a friend who had live in Germany. Bless her heart, I was a very lousy student. I did learn how to sing some awesome pre-school songs. Like singing the German Alphabet to the tune of Frère Jacques (like, this one here:

)

Still, I have nothing but fond memories of the germans I've met. Really cool people! So, as Rob said, Don't mind if I do! =]

I hope Olympian2004 doesn't mind the Bayerische theme!

Anyway, here's to a successful games for Germany! Prosit!

... then we will start our entertainment programme with somthing completely different:

This is a famous carnival song (1948) from Cologne before the Federal Republic of Germany was founded - the title "Wir sind die Eingeborenen von Trizonesien" means literally translated: "We are the natives of Trizonesia" - the Federal Republic of Germany was founded one year later out of the three occupation zones of the USA, UK and France - therewith: Three Zones

In that year German athletes participated at an international sport event and due the FR of Germany hadn't been founded this song was played instead of a German national anthem!!

Great choice, and this prevents me from ranting that we were so Bavarian-themed at the beginning. ;)

And to bring in some Rhenish flavour also in terms of food and drink:

k-echt%20koelsch.JPG

Kölsch, the local beer of Cologne, and a "Halve Hahn" (literally: "half a chicken", but in fact, it's a rye roll with a slice of cheese, sometimes served with sliced onions -- as in this case). I rather not post a picture of Flönz, the local blood sausage. ;) But guess what -- the worldwide popular Gummi bears were invented in the Rhineland. Or to be more precisely, in Bonn, West Germany's former capital.

20081024_haribo_goldbaeren_200g_metallfolie.jpg

But of course, we could as well offer Hamburg Labskaus or Westphalian Pfefferpotthast -- right, Martin and Goethe? ;)

yummy - a "Halber Hahn" und a "Kölsch"!!!

I do love Labskaus, but I think Roland wasn't really into it when he tried it here in Hamburg - I suppose we should serve another famous Hamburg dish: Birnen, Bohnen und Speck (Pears, Beans and Bacon)

lm20061069.jpg

I suppose you will think now, that is a strange combination, but it is just fantastic the sweat of the pears in combinations with the green beans and the bacon is really delicious!!!

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

A look back into the history:

German Flagbearers:

2006 Torino

Kati Wilhelm (Biathlon)

fahnentraegerolympia100.jpg

2002 Salt Lake City

Hilde Gerg (Slalom) - the guy, who bears the "Germany"-plate is an icon of the US/German history: Gail Halvorsen* - he was the first pilot of the US-Air Force, who threw small parachutes with candies out of his plane, when he landed in Berlin during the Berlin blockade after WWII

fahnentraegerolympia102.jpg

1998 Nagano

Jochen Behle (Cross Country)

behle104vimagegalleryla.jpg

1994 Lillehammer

Mark Kirchner (Biathlon)

kirchner104vimagegaller.jpg

1992 Albertville

Wolfgang Hoppe (Bobsleigh)

hoppe102vimagegallerypo.jpg

* Gail Halvorsen

Feb 13th/Feb 14th

* 18:45 (CET): Ski Jumping (normal)

Favourites: Gregor Schlierenzauer (AUT), Simon Ammann (SUI), Adam Malysz (POL) and Anders Jacobsen (NOR)

Michael Uhrmann (GER) won the qualification

* 21:00 (CET): Speed Skating, 5000 m, Men

Favourit: Sven Kramer (NOR)

No real chances for our athletes

* 22:00 (CET): Biathlon, 7.5 km Sprint, Women

Favourites: Kati Wilhelm (GER), Andrea Henkel (GER), Helena Jonsson (SWE), Anna Carin Olofsson-Zidek (SWE), Olga Medwedzewa (RUS) and Swetlana Slepzowa (RUS)

* 04:18 (CET): Short Track, 1500 m, Men

Favourites: Lee Ho-Suk (KOR) and Kwak Yoon-Gy (KOR)

No real chances for our athletes

* 04:30 (CET): Freestyle-Skiing, Moguls, Women

First gold for Canada? Jennifer Heil

No German athlete participates

Hey CAF...loved the German outfits man:

0,,5244848_4,00.jpg

Any chance we can organise a cross-hemisphere DAB and Eisebein festival to help the schwarz rot geld?

dsc00441.jpgdab_5litre1.jpg

First I thought the colour of the light blue and light pink jackets look strange, but I think they fit well at the ceremony...

there is no problem to serve DAB and Eisbein (but we would serve it with Sauerkraut instead of Rotkohl (like it is shown on the pic))

... lol and there is a very "nice" typo - it is: schwarz rot gold ("geld" is the german word for "money")

Hey CAF...kein problem that we have sauerkraut instead of rotkohl. But make sure to put some kummel in there or we'll have our very own gas powered arsch gesellschaft :P

As for the typo blame my 26 years since I had formal German studies, and meine frau who can't get my grammar right no matter how hard she tries

Hey CAF...kein problem that we have sauerkraut instead of rotkohl. But make sure to put some kummel in there or we'll have our very own gas powered arsch gesellschaft :P

As for the typo blame my 26 years since I had formal German studies, and meine frau who can't get my grammar right no matter how hard she tries

true - the sauerkraut is with Kümmel (caraway)!

Ohh wow - you are married to an Austrian/German/Swiss lady?

true - the sauerkraut is with Kümmel (caraway)!

Ohh wow - you are married to an Austrian/German/Swiss lady?

Kinda...me and the better half been together since 99 (met whilst we were both NOC assistants for Sydney 2000). Sie kommt aus Nordrhein-Westfalen. Hence my love of DAB, pork knuckle, Die Prinzen and Olli Kahn :D

Kinda...me and the better half been together since 99 (met whilst we were both NOC assistants for Sydney 2000). Sie kommt aus Nordrhein-Westfalen. Hence my love of DAB, pork knuckle, Die Prinzen and Olli Kahn :D

then please send my regards to her - and I am jealous that she lives down under now - Sydney is just a fantastic place!!!!

I wonder that she might be very homesick right now, due the Karneval, which takes place this weekend in Düsseldorf and Köln

By the way I watched an interview with Sebastian Krumbiegel (he has an irokese hair cut now (in red)), in which he mentioned that there will be a new CD soon and they will be on tour this or next year...

I'll pop in the raise a schnapps to honour Neuner's silver! The start of more to come I'm sure.

thats on the house Roland!

Congratulations Magdalena!

%7B768E40AF-F08E-45D2-9AA6-4FDCDB8657A1%7DPicture.jpg

mist(sh#t, merde) - I fell asleep on the sofa before the biathlon had ended (well - it was a long day for me - got up very early yesterday for the Opening Ceremony)

olympia420_v-banner3x1.jpg

... I think the German team has chances today in

- the Nordic Combined

- Biathlon

- Luge

today starts the Pairs Figure Skating Combination - I cross my fingers for Aljona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy

Katharinas "Vancouver Blog": Katharina's Olympic Diary

She is talking about the shock after Nodar Kumaritaschwili's death - then she is talking about the opening ceremony - she liked it very much "Der kanadische Spirit taucht überall auf: Stolz, Emotionen, Menschlichkeit." (The Canadian Spirit is everywhere: Pride, Emotions and Humanity) - the she says that the went to the Olympic Flame and met Bryan Adams there, who invited her to his concert.