FISU's Universiades

Talk about time going by quickly. Any interested bids for the 2013 Summer and Winter Universiades gets underway tomorrow. I have found this information from the official FISU website about how the process will work.

Bidding Procedure Time Table

Phase 1 - Bidding

- Opening of the Bid September 1st, 2007

- Letter of Intention submission September 1st, 2007 to October 15th, 2007

- Bidding conditions submitted to cities November 1st , 2007

- Bidding Dossier submission to FISU No later than March 15th, 2008

- Payment of the Bidding Fee No later than March 15th, 2008

- Closing of the Bid March 15th , 2008

Phase 2 – Evaluation

- Bidding Dossier Evaluation March 15th 2008 to April 30th, 2008

- Evaluation Commission Visits March 15th 2008 to April 30th, 2008

- Final Evaluation Report Preparation April 30th, 2008 to May 30th, 2008

Phase 3 – Attribution

- Final Report Presented to the FISU EC May 31st, 2008

- Bidding City Presentation to the FISU EC May 31st, 2008

- Attribution of the Host City May 31st, 2008

Phase 4 – Payment

- Attribution fee Payment June 30th, 2008

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I am happy to report that Maribor, Slovenia officially submitted candidature for the organisation of the 26th Winter Universiade in 2013.

Having in mind, that it also ran for the 2011 Winter University Games last year, we really hope to get the 2013 edition of the Winter Universiade.

Initially, three cities expressed interest for the 2013 Winter Universiade bidding:

1. Almaty, Kazakhstan

2. Calgary, Canada

3. Maribor, Slovenia

As you may know, Calgary pulled out, so this leaves the Kazakh and Slovenian bids for WU2013. The deadline for submitting the candidature dossier and paying the bidding fee is tomorrow (March 15, 2008). FISU currently received documentation and the fee from Slovenia only.

More information at the FISU and at the Universiade Maribor websites.

Hello,

I am happy to report that Maribor, Slovenia officially submitted candidature for the organisation of the 26th Winter Universiade in 2013.

Having in mind, that it also ran for the 2011 Winter University Games last year, we really hope to get the 2013 edition of the Winter Universiade.

Initially, three cities expressed interest for the 2013 Winter Universiade bidding:

1. Almaty, Kazakhstan

2. Calgary, Canada

3. Maribor, Slovenia

As you may know, Calgary pulled out, so this leaves the Kazakh and Slovenian bids for WU2013. The deadline for submitting the candidature dossier and paying the bidding fee is tomorrow (March 15, 2008). FISU currently received documentation and the fee from Slovenia only.

More information at the FISU and at the Universiade Maribor websites.

and for the summer 2013 universiade, Vigo is the spanish bid (won 15-8 Murcia).perhaps Poznan(Poland) and Canada (Edmonton or Quebec) pull out.the bids for the moment :Kazan,Gwanjon and Vigo.

Edmonton already hosted the 1983, and Korea had it chance back in 2003 (and that was two consecutive asian Universiades :o ). I will support Vigo, altought Spain doesn't have a big reputation with the last Universiade they hosted on Palma de Mallorca, a total disaster on construction delays. If they win, i hope they don't commit the same mistake.

does it automatically mean that Maribor will be the 2013 Winter Universiades host cities, not having any contender????

i think Korea does not have any chance coz of Daegu, Smirne, Bangkok and Shenzhen...! Russia do have chances...Moscow hosted the SU in 1073 very long ago. Spain had Palma99 and, as far as I know, was not a good organization.

does it automatically mean that Maribor will be the 2013 Winter Universiades host cities, not having any contender????

i think Korea does not have any chance coz of Daegu, Smirne, Bangkok and Shenzhen...! Russia do have chances...Moscow hosted the SU in 1073 very long ago. Spain had Palma99 and, as far as I know, was not a good organization.

Palma 99 was a poor universiade and Vigo is a small city with a lot of problems,I don´t understand this crazy obsession of the small spanish cities for the universiades,mediterranean games or FOJES...

Kazan is the clear favorite,but Vigo have the support of Samaranch and the spanish government...Let´s see

The Universaides are THAT OLD? And old Moscow already had sports venues back then? :blink:

In theory, it could also be not approved. Taken into account, though, that Maribor was a candidate for 2011, and that the call was very tight (in favour of Erzurum), I certainly hope this will not be the case.

Slovenia has hosted plenty of winter sports events (quite a few in Maribor), so I believe we can do the Winter Universiade very well. Let's hope the decision makers share my opinion :)

In theory, it could also be not approved. Taken into account, though, that Maribor was a candidate for 2011, and that the call was very tight (in favour of Erzurum), I certainly hope this will not be the case.

Slovenia has hosted plenty of winter sports events (quite a few in Maribor), so I believe we can do the Winter Universiade very well. Let's hope the decision makers share my opinion :)

hope and know you'll do it very well, neighbors!!!! :D

hope and know you'll do it very well, neighbors!!!! :D

Dear cesco_82, thank you for your vote of confidence!

Since Italy hosted the Winter edition of the universiade in 2007 and 2003 (and before that in 1985, 1975 and 1966), we also had opportunities to learn from them.

Our other neighbor - Austria - has also hosted Winter universiade in 2005 (and 1968 before that), so we have had plenty of chances to watch and learn from a near-by ;)

Will keep you posted on the development of the selection...

Since the Slovenian bid was the only official one for 2013, it is pretty much in the works now.

Since there are many winter sport events in Slovenia (ski junping in Planica, skiing in Maribor and Kranjska Gora) i think Slovenia hosts a great Universiade.

btw my grandfather grew up in Maribor so good luck and greeting from Austria :)

Anyway, the low number of bids should be alarming for FISU ...

yeah i rhink it really should expecially for winter universiades.

anyone knows anything about Torino07 or Innsbruck05 success in economical terms? I was wondering if organizing such an event does worth or not...

• 1 month later...

The evaluation for the 2013 Summer Universiade has already begun. The second city that was done by the FISU evaluation committee was GWANGJU, KOREA.

Link 1: Evaluation Committee 2013 SU Visits Gwangju - Day 1

Link 2: Evaluation Committee 2013 SU Visits Gwangju - Day 2

Link 3: Evaluation Committee SU 2013 Visit in Gwangju - Day 3

bidding_logo_2013_su_gwanju.jpg

However, the FIRST city that got evaluated for wanting to host the 2013 Summer Universiade was VIGO, SPAIN. It was evaluated by the FISU back on April 18-20.

Link 1: 2013 SU: Evaluation Visit in Vigo - Day 1

Link 2: 2013 SU: Evaluation Visit in Vigo - Day 2

Link 3: 2013 SU: Evaluation Visit in Vigo - Day 3

bidding_logo_vigo_2013.jpg

The last city that is to be inspected will be KAZAN, RUSSIAN FEDERATION. That FISU evaluation will take place on May 15th.

Even though MARIBOR, SLOVENIA, is going to get the nod to host the 2013 Winter Universiade by default because it was the only city/area that put forward a bid for it, the city was evaluated anyway just before the Vigo one.

Link 1: 2013 WU: Evaluation Visit in Maribor - Day 1

Link 2: 2013 WU: Evaluation Visit in Maribor - Day 2

Link 3: 2013 WU Evaluation Visit in Maribor - Day 3

logo_maribor_2013_new.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The final FISU evaluation for a 2013 Summer Universiade candidate city was completed last weekend. KAZAN was the city inspected in this case.

Link 1: FISU: Evaluation Committee 2013 SU in Kazan - Day 1

Link 2: FISU: Evaluation Committee 2013 SU in Kazan - Day 2

Link 3: FISU: Evaluation Committee 2013 SU in Kazan - Day 3

bid_logo_kazan_2013_su.jpg

The last scenario that needs to be played out here is the awarding of both the 2013 Summer and Winter Universiade on May 31st.

Archived