The 2014 YOG Decision

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yawn!

I'm surprised the first two YOG (Summers) have gone back to back to east Asia. Oh well. Not as if I cared much either way.

Yeah, the next summer vote will be the test, the first after an actual YOGs will be staged. I still think the whole YOG concept is not one of Rogge's better decisions as prez.

I knew Nanjing would win like months ago..¬_¬ After the reports stated that both Poznan and Guadalajara were too risky compared to the chinese city, that kinda said what would obviously happen in the end (plus guadalajara dropping some weeks ago...)

Anyway, good to see China will host again another olympics. Now they just need to get the winter ones :lol:

Well, let's face it: Nanjing won be default. With Mexico out to focus on the Pan Ams and some questions about Poznan's bidding, China had this one signed, sealed and delivered.

To be honest though, the lack of interest comes from the fact that we have yet to see one of these YOGs staged yet and that the IOC still hasn't got anyone on board to cover these things for televison. Sad to say, out of sight, out of mind.

Congrats to Nanjing, for what it's worth. Right now, frankly, not much.

So..... two games in the same region in succession. If the first YOG are a success then maybe more cities will bid for these games, only time will tell. Personally i dont see a need for them

And with Nanjing, China seems to have satisfied all its major cities with a big sporting plum:

Shanghai 2007 - Special Olympics

Beijing 2008 - the O's and the Para's

(well Hong Kong got the Equestrian events and...Disneyland-China :) )

Jinan 2009 - the Chinese National Games

Guangzhou 2010 - the Asian Games

Nanjing 2014 - the 2nd YOGs

And with Nanjing, China seems to have satisfied all its major cities with a big sporting plum:

Shanghai 2007 - Special Olympics

Beijing 2008 - the O's and the Para's

(well Hong Kong got the Equestrian events and...Disneyland-China :) )

Jinan 2009 - the Chinese National Games

Guangzhou 2010 - the Asian Games

Nanjing 2014 - the 2nd YOGs

You forgot the 2011 Universiade in Shenzen :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

coordination commission for the Nanjing 2014 Youth Olympic Games

Chaired by Alexander Popov of Russia, the group also includes new IOC members Dagmawit Girmay Berhane of Ethiopia and Marisol Casado, International Triathlon Union president. Both were elected at the Vancouver IOC Session last month, as was Nanjing as 2014 YOG host.

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=34585

Coordination Commission for the 2nd Youth Olympic Summer Games Nanjing – 2014

CHAIRMAN

Alexander POPOV

MEMBERS

Dagmawit Girmay BERHANE

Andrès BOTERO PHILIPSBOURNE

Marisol CASADO

Guy DRUT

Lambis NIKOLAOU

NOC representative

DIRECTOR IN CHARGE

Olympic Games Executive Director

I am interested in seeing how the United States formulates its teams, especially in Gymnastics and Swimming for not only these YOG games in 2014, but also for Singapore in August.

Gymnastics and Swimming are usually two sports who have teenagers for the regular Olympics.

I am interested in seeing how the United States formulates its teams, especially in Gymnastics and Swimming for not only these YOG games in 2014, but also for Singapore in August.

Gymnastics and Swimming are usually two sports who have teenagers for the regular Olympics.

Swimming: FINA looking to bring US team to Singapore for YOG

SINGAPORE: The US swim team could be at the Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in Singapore in August after all.

The Americans, one of the powerhouses in the sport, had earlier said that they will not be competing at the Games as they did not think the competition would be of a high level.

FINA’s executive director Cornel Marculescu is working to bring the US swim team to Singapore, before they head for the Pan Pacific Games.

The Romanian, who is in town for the 9th FINA World Swimming Officials seminar, said that besides swimming, the diving competition is also expected to be world class.

15—year—old Tom Daley from Britain, the current world champion for the 10—metre event, will be competing in Singapore in August.

Meanwhile, the unique format at the Youth Games, such as the mixed gender relay, could be extended to other major meets.

Mr Marculescu said: "Probably the mixed relay can be something which may be of interest at the end of the day...It is a very good opportunity to test new ideas which after that may become an event in a world championship or in the Olympic programme..."

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/cna/20100405/tap-861-fina-looking-bring-swim-team-spo-231650b.html

-------

selecting Youth Olympic Games gymnasts

Only 1 male and 1 female athlete will compete for each country in individual disciplines. All 26 sports on the London 2012 Olympic Games programme will be hosted.

the American selection criteria:

2010 Youth Olympic Games Selection Procedures

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/pressbox/pages/selection_10yog.php

• 1 month later...

Archived