Team Australia Hospitality Thread

Congratulations, Australia -- congratulations Torah! There's no need to deny it -- Australia is becoming a winter sports nation. If you look to other countries in the Southern Hemisphere, you see that it's really not self-evident that a Southern country wins at least one medal in every edition of the Winter Games. Especially not if it has at least one Olympic Champion in each edition.

I'm so happy! Congratulations Torah! Wow!

r517570_2845092.jpg

Would have been very nice hey Modesty...but he did his best and that's what we can but hope for when any Aussie gets on the green and gold.

BTW Welcome to the forums...looking forward to seeing more posts :)

Thank you. It's all so exciting.

Watching Eddie's cringe fest last night, and noticed a good item on the Australian skeeeletion program - recruiting from all over (but particularly surf life saving) and creating a redibhle fordce - which does seem to be bearing fruit with our women's times ysterday. Maybe no medals this time (but here's hoping anyway), but could be looking good for Sochi and onwards to Munich (Berchtesgaden)!

Might have to have a lay-day from the events today - real life requires a bit of interaction.

But to get the entertainment in early today, the Roo bar brings a tribute to what many hetero Aussie men are thinking when they atch Torah.

As Chrissie Amphlett so seductively puts it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFEfmbAeEDY

And for the beer? Toohey's Blue Ice Tooheys%20Blue%20Ice%20B.jpg

Still Connoisseur Ice Cream available in Australia? The chocolate and strawberry flavours are great!

(altough my current favourite ice cream is Ben & Jerry Bohemian Raspberries and Chocolate Fudge)

Oh yeah! But I've been more enjoying Weis lately. A great Queensland ice cream.

weis.jpg

Tell you what. Weis bars on the house all round!

bars2008.jpg

Congratulations, Australia -- congratulations Torah! There's no need to deny it -- Australia is becoming a winter sports nation. If you look to other countries in the Southern Hemisphere, you see that it's really not self-evident that a Southern country wins at least one medal in every edition of the Winter Games. Especially not if it has at least one Olympic Champion in each edition.

You have the AIS (australian institute of sport) to thank for that. They have one of the best high performance development programs in the world and australia's consistency at the winter games speak for itself. Well done Australia.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

Just watched the medal ceremony. Great to hear Advance Australia Fair!

... it's a pitty it wasn't shown here, but if it had shown here, I would have been able to sing parts of it...

You have the AIS (australian institute of sport) to thank for that. They have one of the best high performance development programs in the world and australia's consistency at the winter games speak for itself. Well done Australia.

Isn't something comparable to the AIS in New Zealand?

It wasn't so long ago the words "consistency", "Australia" and "Winter Games" had a whole different meaning. It's so nice the tide has turned. And its nice that we can really already say we've had a successful games here. Anything else would be icing.

Just hope the funding keeps going to keep it up in the future.

Interesting point about Torah. She's our first home-grown Olympian to come from a local alpine region-town. Bradbury was born in Camden, trained in Brissie, Camplin is a Melbourne girl (well, that's pretty close to an gloomy winter-weather town, and she did train in Buller), Aussie Dale, well, we all know what he is. But Torah's from Cooma, the NSW gateway to the Snowy Mountains. As "Lass From Snowy River" as we can just about get.

Isn't something comparable to the AIS in New Zealand?

Yes, the NZAC (nz academy of sport) which has been extremely successful since its inception in 2001 but the vast majority of its funding goes to sports of national significance (i.e. rugby, netball, cycling, triathlon, sailing, rowing, kayaking, equestrian and athletics). There is a winter sports wing of the academy but its very amateurish.

Anyway, I dont want to use this thread whinge about NZs performance. Australians should be extremely proud of their athletes. They truly are a great sporting nation and Ive always (as I think most kiwis do) really admired them for it. But Ive said it before and Ill say it again…build a bobsled run or a ski jump in queenstown and every true blooded adrenaline junkie kiwi will be lining up to throw themselves down it.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

Yes, the NZAC (nz academy of sport) which has been extremely successful since its inception in 2001 but the vast majority of its funding goes to sports of ‘national significance’ (i.e. rugby, netball, cycling, triathlon, sailing, rowing, kayaking, equestrian and athletics). There is a winter sports wing of the academy but it’s very amateurish.

Anyway, I don’t want to use this threat whinge about NZ’s performance. Australians should be extremely proud of their athletes. They truly are a great sporting nation and I’ve always (as I think most kiwis do) really admired them for it. But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again…build a bobsled run or a ski jump in queenstown and every true blooded adrenaline junkie kiwi will be lining up to throw themselves down it.

well, if the Kiwis want that their athletes have a better chance at international winter sport events then the NZAC has to do something - a bobsled/luge/skeleton run and/or a ski jump in Queenstown is a good idea and would support a later bid of Queenstown for Winter Youth Olympics or Winter Olympic Bid!!

3 of them have made the final.

In 9-1 spots though. Looks like China and belarus are gonna be hard competitors.

Still, I was watching Alisa Camplin bing interviewed ahead of the qualifications last night. She did seem to think the Aussie girls were going to try and take a quiet path into the finals rather than go all out from word go.

Edited by Sir Roltel

Do you have TimTams here too? I mean these double chocolate ones!!!

I'm sure I'll find a packet or two under the bar.

And also, especially for you Marts, I'll get the entertainment in early today. One of your faves ...

Savage Garden!!!

And the beer? I can't remember, have we served Redback yet? redback_beer.jpg

I'm sure I'll find a packet or two under the bar.

And also, especially for you Marts, I'll get the entertainment in early today. One of your faves ...

Savage Garden!!!

that would be great - maybe there are some toasts and vegemite, too?

sniff - can't watch that videos form my German IP - since there is a quarrel between Sony (who own the rights on Affirmation) with youtub...

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

That's sad. Can they even block the Olympic one:

I can watch that - it is strange there is a quarrel between the German music industry and youtube since last year and many "official videos" were blocked (but not all), but not concert videos for example or videos in which the music is played and just a photo of the artist is shown - very very strange