Team Australia Hospitality Thread

Snowboard Cross was nice news to wake up here to - Aussie Alex Pullin in the qualification lead, and two in the top 10 (with Damon Hayler in 9th). Unheralded and unlooked for (though I'm the first to admit I'm not au-fait with winter sports form and rosters).

Well, props to our Snowboarders! Wasn't expecting us to have much to cheer on there, but really lifted some hopes in a sport where anything can happen. Wouldn't be surprised to se us medal in it eventually.

Anyway, entertainment tonight at the Roo Bar, in celebration of Australia's boarding tradition ....

..... Little Patti!

And to drink tonight, to party with our wild boys of the boarding slopes, let's bring in the Polar Bear and all have shots of my favourite indigenous tipple ...

0400000000978_L.jpg

Edited by Sir Roltel

Well, props to our Snowboarders! Wasn't expecting us to have much to cheer on there, but really lifted some hopes in a sport where anything can happen. Wouldn't be surprised to se us medal in it eventually.

Anyway, entertainment tonight at the Roo Bar, in celebration of Australia's boarding tradition ....

..... Little Patti!

And to drink tonight, to party with our wild boys of the boarding slopes, let's bring in the Polar Bear and all have shots of my favourite indigenous tipple ...

0400000000978_L.jpg

Excellent choices Sir R...have met Little Pattie and she is an absolute class act, and as for the Bundy very very drinkable. If you can get your hands on a bottle of their distillers No.3...closest I've had to having a single malt style rum

Well, no fairlytale for us in the SBX today, with Modern Melbourne girl Stephenie Hickey failing to qualify fore the race rounds.

Props though, for fellow Melburnian Christine Nesbitt - 10th in the women's 500m speed skating - wearing the Maple Leaf.

Guess that means it's gotta be Melbourne Day in the Roo Bar. Hmmmm.

Okay, for entertainment, one of my fave Melbourne bands ... Big Pig!

And for the beer ?????? There's just so many obvious ones to choose from (VB, Melbourne Bitter, Carlton etc etc)

But I'll go for Geelong/Richmond brew (appropriate with Christine skating at Richmond Oval) ...

Piss! 6pack.jpg

Thinking of Melbourne ... I wonder how Vancouver's surviving Puppy?

Edited by Sir Roltel

Well, while we await the apopearance of Torah on the big stage tomorrow, the Roo Bar will take the opportunity to slip in a Kiwi day in appreciation of the support our NZ mates have been giving all the ANZAC athletes.

NZ's James Hamilton I see managed a heat rank of 10th to just miss out on making the finals in the Snowboard Halfpipe. Nice result mate.

Anyway, to echo a comment about NZ made in another thread on national rivalries, I'd love to see you guys punch higher. C'mon, you'd think a nice X-games type sport like snowboarding would appeal to the adventurous and extreme sports NZ spirit! And we can't keep holding up the slack for the entire Southern hemisphere!

Anyway, the band today is ... who else bit Crowded House!!!!! In a tribute to the Vancouver weather!

And the beer is, again, what else but ...

Steinlager! image001.jpg

Well, while we await the apopearance of Torah on the big stage tomorrow, the Roo Bar will take the opportunity to slip in a Kiwi day in appreciation of the support our NZ mates have been giving all the ANZAC athletes.

NZ's James Hamilton I see managed a heat rank of 10th to just miss out on making the finals in the Snowboard Halfpipe. Nice result mate.

Anyway, to echo a comment about NZ made in another thread on national rivalries, I'd love to see you guys punch higher. C'mon, you'd think a nice X-games type sport like snowboarding would appeal to the adventurous and extreme sports NZ spirit! And we can't keep holding up the slack for the entire Southern hemisphere!

Anyway, the band today is ... who else bit Crowded House!!!!! In a tribute to the Vancouver weather!

And the beer is, again, what else but ...

Steinlager! image001.jpg

I would love the kiwis to do better at the winter olympics. I am pleased that New Zealand qualified for the quarter finals top 16 in short track 1000m. He was last in his heat when two competitors crashed!!! Lets hope he can continue into the semifinals and do a Steven Bradbury. Looking forward to the skeleton tomorrow. Hopefully they can get top 15 results.

Coatesy very very smart but he has to be careful as there are powerful media, political and social voices that would love to see sport funding in Oz become less aimed at the Olympic sports and their elite, to the likes of AFL, league, cricket etc. AFL is the one we should all worry about, in that Andrew Demetriou heads a financially powerful commission that has the ears of many front and back benchers.

as for Coates for IOC Pres, give hima few years and he could definitely be there. He'll have to come out from unre Lord Kev Gosper's shadow though...

Thought I'd just take the convo over from the rivalries thread.

Bloody Demtriou might be good for the AFL, but he's proving to be an almighty wrecker for anything non Aerial Ping Pong. If you ask me, he's been the most damaging force for the Australia 2022 WC bid so far.

As for Lord Kev ... he's a relic of a past era now. His time has well and truly passed.

Well, the Roo Bar is gonna go off tonight!!! Yep, I've sure gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

Good news from our Aussie Girls all around! Torah our Ice Queen, of course, but also Holly Crawford eighth in the halfpipe, and Emma Lincoln-Smith sitting in a best ever sixth in the skeleton.

And not to mention Melbourne's Christine Nesbitt winning Gold for Canada.

Anyway, it all deserves a double act tonight. Ladies and Gentlemen ...

Sherbet .............................................................................................. and Kylie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfFQ7d3GqEE

And, yes, we gotta break out the Champers! Yellowglen1.jpg

Edited by Sir Roltel
  • Like 1