Team Australia Hospitality Thread

Sounds like a plan. We will even chuck in the Kiwi Pavlova!

Hey Michael...whatever happened to the Kiwi winter Olympic program? I recall some fairly decent results from the bobsledders and of course Coberger's silver in Albertville flagged NZ as the first southern hemisphere nation to win a winter medal. Too many DB Lagers perchance? :P

Congratulations to Torah Bright, our 2010 OC Flagbearer. 59torah_bright.jpg

Congrats to Torah but rather disappointed it couldn't have gone to Jacqui Cooper. 5 games, should have won a gold in any of the last 3, and one of the greats of Australian winter sport. I may be a little cynical but I wonder how much the 'good looking, cleaning living blonde gal with Gen Y cred' played a role in her getting the nod?

Congrats to Torah but rather disappointed it couldn't have gone to Jacqui Cooper. 5 games, should have won a gold in any of the last 3, and one of the greats of Australian winter sport. I may be a little cynical but I wonder how much the 'good looking, cleaning living blonde gal with Gen Y cred' played a role in her getting the nod?

As I predicted wrongly in the torch bearer thread, I didn't expect Torah. Usually the OC flag bearer is chosen on long-standing Olympic service - most often the team member who's been to the most games. Torah's only been to Torino before this. You're right, Jacqui should have been the obvious and sentimental choice, but apparently the aerialists are all in pre-games training camp in Montreal and noty due into Vancouver till Monday. Skier Craig Branch (three games) apparently was the tip (and available in Vancouver) for the traditionalists.

Okay, in honour of the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympic Games, today to Roo Bar presents an extended act from one of our most fondly remembered OC performers.

Ladies and Gentlemen ... and Canadians ...

we present,

Nikki Webster!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhZXpiAvW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIZJn3qVLNw

opening.jpgimg.jpg

And to honour the Sydney girl, the beer for today is Bondi Blonde bondi-blonde-6-pack-and-bottle.jpg

Edited by Sir Roltel

SR...having heard that JC was in training then yes, I do like the idea that Craig Branch should've got the nod. Watching Torah Bright during the parade was a little disconcerting as her teeth were almost illuminating the entire stadium :P

As for Nikki Webster, it's a little disturbing to see 'our Nikki' from Sydney 2000 now like this...

mednikkiwebster3wh0.jpg

I wonder if the lad who did the flying sequence during Vancouver's opening ceremony 10 years form now will be cavorting in a jock strap? :P

I wonder if the lad who did the flying sequence during Vancouver's opening ceremony 10 years form now will be cavorting in a jock strap? :P

That poor kid, had pretty bad fetal alcohol syndrome features.

Edited by stevie

Well, time to announce the Roo Bar band for tonight.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Mesdames and Monsieurs, we present ...

Rogue Traders (I just wanted the chance to book the ever-lovely Natalie!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb0OiuwLXQM

And today's brew is Bluetongue bluetonguelrg_image.gif

Nowt wrong with Natasha and the Rogues SR, but Bluetounge? Laddie...shouldn't we get some real beer on the counter for our international guests:

Coopers-prod.jpg

Must admit the results today for the Aussies were a little disappointing. Had hoped that Tatiana Borodulina could have made it through in the short track but as all Steve Bradbury fans know the argy bargy can cost anyone anything (peed off that two false starts from the Canuck lass and she still gets to head out and win...if only this was Olympic swimming or track). Also enjoyed the work of the work of Britteny Cox in women's moguls...Sochi looks good for her

Well, today's the first of our big days with some genuine medal hopes to follow. Well, we still have the Canucks in our path, they'll sure be hoping for that preskily elusive hometown Gold. At least we can also join in to wish a local boy well.

C'mon Aussie Dale!

Edited by Sir Roltel

Hey Michael...whatever happened to the Kiwi winter Olympic program? I recall some fairly decent results from the bobsledders and of course Coberger's silver in Albertville flagged NZ as the first southern hemisphere nation to win a winter medal. Too many DB Lagers perchance? :P

On a similar vein, what's been happening with our big Winter Ice Sports training centre that ws being touted as part of Melbourne's Docklands project.

I remember when Docklands was going up, they were touting an ice rick (largest in southern hemisphere, yadda yadda ... etc) that was going to be the base of our Olympic ice sports training and development in the years ahead. I haven't heard anything since.

Hey SR...just checked out the AOC site and Google for developments on our so-called OWI in Melbourne and it looks as if things may have come to a shuddering halt. The operator's web page for the Melbourne location appears to be non functional (tried the link here but in the end came back to the ice rink's own site which mentions bugger all about the OWI. The the AOC's OWI site is running submerged at the moment with the attention placed on the Vancouver team.

owia-logo.jpg

All up I just wonder if this has been put on the back burner whilst the AOC concentrates on our freestylers plus the bigger battle of retaining elite funding thanks to the Crawford Report

Hey SR...just checked out the AOC site and Google for developments on our so-called OWI in Melbourne and it looks as if things may have come to a shuddering halt. The operator's web page for the Melbourne location appears to be non functional (tried the link here but in the end came back to the ice rink's own site which mentions bugger all about the OWI. The the AOC's OWI site is running submerged at the moment with the attention placed on the Vancouver team.

owia-logo.jpg

All up I just wonder if this has been put on the back burner whilst the AOC concentrates on our freestylers plus the bigger battle of retaining elite funding thanks to the Crawford Report

Well, here's hoping the team can come back with enough metal around their necks so Coates can sling them at Crawford!

I suspected as much about the OWI - I assumed we'd be hearing a lot more about it if anhything had happened. Actually, I was at Docklands last year, and didn't notice the skate rink. Not very well highlighted, it seeems.

It strikes me a rink would be a nice thing to have at Homebush to help lift the attractions at the area. If not at Homebush, maybe at the Rhodes centre (maybe Ikea could fund one in their basement - hahah, I can't believe the people who seem to visit Ikea as an "attraction" :blink: )

I've actually been really getting into in-line skating lately, and have ventured indoors to the Macquarie Centre's or Canterbury's rinks for a bit of cross-training when the rain's precluded venturing on the dry. They aleways seem to get decent crowds at their sessions, and quite a few school groups too. Commercially, another rink at Homebush just might be supportable.

BTW - I'm sure you'd find this interesting Eursebius. A little while ago I came acrosss an interesting tid-bit about a semi-serious earlier Australian bid for the Winter Games:

The inaugural Winter Olympic Games were held in Chamonix in 1924.

A curious proposal for Australia to host the Winter Olympics was put

forward as part of the formal invitation to the IOC in 1948 for Melbourne

to host the 1956 Summer Olympics. The Age made the suggestion on 24

January 1948 that ‘the Olympic winter sports, which are always held

independently of the main Games, could be conducted at Mt. Buffalo,

Hotham or Koscuisko.

Source - LA84 Foundation

Well, here's hoping the team can come back with enough metal around their necks so Coates can sling them at Crawford!

I suspected as much about the OWI - I assumed we'd be hearing a lot more about it if anhything had happened. Actually, I was at Docklands last year, and didn't notice the skate rink. Not very well highlighted, it seeems.

It strikes me a rink would be a nice thing to have at Homebush to help lift the attractions at the area. If not at Homebush, maybe at the Rhodes centre (maybe Ikea could fund one in their basement - hahah, I can't believe the people who seem to visit Ikea as an "attraction" :blink: )

I've actually been really getting into in-line skating lately, and have ventured indoors to the Macquarie Centre's or Canterbury's rinks for a bit of cross-training when the rain's precluded venturing on the dry. They aleways seem to get decent crowds at their sessions, and quite a few school groups too. Commercially, another rink at Homebush just might be supportable.

There's actually a small rink out my way here at the foot of the Blue Mountains and I vaguely recall they hosted an ice hockey team in the NSW or Australian league.

Canterbury has quite a deal of history (I think several of our figure skaters have trained there over the last few years) whilst Macquarie looks very good (I'd hope similar to many a commercial operation in Europe, Asia or the US). Of course whatever was planned or is at Docklands was always going to be the preferred venue as the AOC has their HQ down there (plus those poor bloody Melbournites love the cold lol). Not sure about a venue at Homebush...and lets not forget Brisbane has a rink too where I think Steve Bradbury used to train.

BTW - I'm sure you'd find this interesting Eursebius. A little while ago I came acrosss an interesting tid-bit about a semi-serious earlier Australian bid for the Winter Games:

Excellent fantasy bid for Canberra CAF...almost makes me want to sign on a pioneer volunteer :P

As for that link and story re a 48 proposal for a OWG in Australia that's amazing. I've never heard of that before, and having just checked my copy of Harry Gordon's seminal work on Australian Olympic history neither had he. Impressive research!!

On a tangent did you (or anyone else here) know that as part of Melbourne's bid the team brought with them to the then IOC headquarters a fairly sizeable consignment of frozen beef? How's that for a nice little;e back hander to get the IOC to give you the games (and especially ironic considering leading opponent Buenos Aires is capital of the biggest beef producing country)

BTW - nice to see AC/DC follow up their appearance at the Roo Bar by providing the background music at Cypress for Aussie Dale's qualification run!

Hey SR...what's on the menu for drinks etc at the tent today? May I suggest the following:

chiko+roll.gifpikes%20oakbank.jpg

And a Mentals track...your pick :)

Edited by eusebius65

Hey SR...what's on the menu for drinks etc at the tent today? May I suggest the following:

chiko+roll.gifpikes%20oakbank.jpg

And a Mentals track...your pick :)

Oh, I've been down in the cellars searching out a special treat ... depending if Aussie Dale stays Aussie Dale ... or becomes Canada's Dale!

Well, the Grange has to go back in the Cellar. But still, Congrats Aussie Dale! Nobody says Silver's shabby, and I couldn't be happier than for Oz to lose it to Canada's first ever home gold.

-

Anyway, instead of the Grange, charge your glasses to toast DBS - and Canada's Bilodeau - with glass of a rare and classic vintage that I've found in the cellar from 1972 ...

Sparling Starwine! image_200581716402020254.jpg

And the ban was gonna be Sherbet. But instead, at request from Esebius ...

The Mentals