Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Flying.jay Live @ Vancouver2010

Hey all...my name is Jay and I'm from Winnipeg. I'm looking forward to posting my blog here.

I can't believe that Vancouver 2010 is just a day away. I, as I'm sure all of you are, am extremely pumped. My dad-in-law is one of the camera men for the opening ceremonies tomorrow. We've been skype-ing a fair bit. While he can't give me very much detail due to the waiver they made him sign, he keeps assuring me that this OC will NOT disappoint. He's done MANY huge events before and this is his third time covering an Olympic Games ('88 and '94). He's told me he's got a main camera for overhead shots...so he's excited to have so much opportunity. He's also very excited to work with Louis Horvitz. As we say in the prairies...this guy is the "shiz-nit" for directors in the world.

My mom, dad, wife, and I will be joining him on the 20th. The events that I'll be sending you updates from will be the following:

IH031 - Can/US Hockey

IH032 - Swe/Fin Hockey

FS006 - The ladies (wife/mom) will be at this one

FS007 - Ladies again...I'm not that into figure skating

IH041 - Hockey QF

IH042 - Hockey QF (CANADA!!!)

IH043 - Hockey QF

FR008 - Men's Ariels Finals

IH047 - Hockey SF

IH048 - Hockey SF (CANADA AGAIN...at least they'd better be in it...lol)

SS012 - Team Pursuit Finals...mens and womens

IH050 - Hockey Gold Medal Final

We got very very lucky with our ticket allocation (I put in 17 applications in my family's names to get them). We've been planning this trip for two years and it's FINALLY gonna be here. We're also having a bunch of Olympic parties here in Winnipeg over the next couple weeks. I hope that everyone enjoys celebrating the accomplishments of our athletes and the diverse cultures of our country. I'm SO glad I get to be a part of it...

GO CANADA GO!!!

Last night was SO cool for us because my we caught my dad-in-law on the broadcast last night. We started jumping up and down feverishly (especially my mother-in-law who misses him like crazy). Dad said that Horwitz was ecstatic about the production. Apparently, he said he'd re-hire any of the crew any time. That was so encouraging.

What a wonderful Opening Ceremonies. I normally have no stomach for K.D. Lang; but oh my word! She stole the show.

We're looking forward to watching Jenn Heil and Charles Hamelin tonight. My dad-in-law will be covering short track tonight.

Hey all. Well, we've been in Vancouver for four days now...how the bloggers have time to blog; I have no idea! We are staying in Chilliwack which is like 1 1/4 hours our of Vancouver. This has made for some very late nights. Today is our only down day of the whole week (we have events every day now till Sunday).

I've been shocked how easy it's been to travel into town. I haven't seen any big line-ups for public transport. There are tons of volunteers here to help us with where to go and how to get there. I've met some awesome Swedes, Fins, Germans, Ukranians, Americans, and of course, lots of Canadians. It's been so awesome to see all the cultures that are around.

We've been to Deutshes Haus, Live City, the stuff down by False Creek, all up and down Robson, and of course, we went to see the Cauldron yesterday! What a thrill. We've also been to two hockey games-Can/US and Swe/Fin. I learned the "yoba yoba yoba" cheer from my Swedish friends at the game. They were awesome.

My wife and mom were at the Ice Dancing original dance and free dance and saw our Canadians win their gold medals. What a thrill for them! I think my mother had the time of her life the last two nights.

Today, we're going to be watching the Can/Ger hockey game with a lot of interest. Also, figure skating is very popular over here and the Women are starting. My father-in-law who is doing camera at the Pacific Coliseum is covering it and has told me Joannie Rochette is going to get a lot of air time. Hopefully she can skate amazing for her mother.

Hope you all are enjoying the games as much as I am. I'll try to post more often while I'm here.

GO CANADA GO!!!

Just got back home from Men's Aerials tonight. It was cold...should've dressed warmer. But a great experience none-the-less. Volunteers were amazing. I can't believe how good the traffic flow is. We got home from Cypress Mountain to Chilliwack in less than two hours. It was ridiculous.

My first Olympic experience has been unbelievable. I can't express how happy I am with the venues and volunteers. Besides the athletes, they truly are the stars of these games.

Yesterday was one of the all time greatest days of my life. Canada/Russia game was unbelievable. My voice was gone by the end of the first period. Got lots of good pix. Very excited for the two hockey games tomorrow.

Got most of my voice back so I can cheer Canada to victory tomorrow against the Slovaks.

GO CANADA GO!!!

So we just got back from the Richmond Oval and we watched the Canadian men get gold in Team Pursuit. And the German women's semi final was by far the most spectacular finish I've ever seen live. That oval is spectacular. It's so weird watching the athletes come from underground. What an atmosphere in there. We stood by some Dutch fans that were extremely friendly and considerate. They represented their country tremendously. Too bad our women couldn't get by the Americans last night...but an amazing experience.

We also saw the Slovaks nearly take out our beloved Canadians in Men's Hockey...my blood pressure was far above dangerous levels...but I survived.

Tomorrow...we go to the gold medal game. I've gotta stop reading commentaries about this game...otherwise I WILL NOT sleep tonight.

Again...traffic was awesome! I think we punched in the wrong address for the oval in the GPS...it took us to a marina two km's away. But again, we asked this random guy who was walking by...and he was THRILLED to point us in the right direction. He wasn't a volunteer or anything...just a very friendly citizen.

Our Olympic experience has been incredible. Now lets hope that our boys can bring it home tomorrow. My voice is almost completely gone from cheering so much...but I'll try to come up with something. My mother suggested an air horn...not sure if I can get that through security.

GO CANADA GO!!!

Well...I just got back home...and what a rush!

That gold medal game was surely the experience of a lifetime. All the hours spent on trying to decide whether I should take the chance and keep the tickets or sell them were for not and we just decided to hold on to them. Boy...were we EVER glad we did.

I'll never forget two things about the game. First of all...the hush (followed by many many intense cuss words) that came on the crowd when the Americans scored the goal that sent the game into overtime. I thought I was going to start to weep as the Americans had all the momentum and surely were going to take it in overtime. Second...the historic Crosby goal. It came right in our end. I had a perfect overhead view and surely was one of the first to know that he scored (even he said afterwards he didn't see where his shot went). What a moment. WHAT A GAME!!!

I can't say it enough about the volunteers. They were a huge part in making this experience for us. Always so friendly and courteous. They even took care of the boneheads three rows in front of us who were leaning on their rails blocking the view of the ice for so many. They were constantly a class act and are deserving of high praise.

Thanks Vancouver! We will never forget the memories you've given us. Between my wife and I, we were able to experience three Canada gold medals (Ice Dance, Men's Team Pursuit, Men's Hockey). Couldn't have dreamed of more! I've gotta let this sink in...

Sign in to follow this