2005 FIFA Confederations Cup

Well, it is over. Congratulations to Brazil. What happens to this event now? I heard rumors that UEFA considered this tournament "extraneous" some time ago. Will there be another edition of it or is it the end?
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh, this post is going to get me into trouble if this is incorrect, but was the venue for the final match had its roof ripped open and was leaking water onto the pitch? I thought I saw that on TV not too long ago in a sports highlight.
Well, it is over. Congratulations to Brazil. What happens to this event now? I heard rumors that UEFA considered this tournament "extraneous" some time ago. Will there be another edition of it or is it the end?

this si the most successful of these tournements and is becoming more respected, i would think the tourney will be held 2 year from now where ever its being hosted

Possibly, but I'm still not inclined to write Argentina off.
poor, poor mexico getting beat by the amazing Germans

Germany did look extremely impressive in this tournement, hopefully it carries over into the world cup so Germany can make it at least to the semis

Germany's time to win will be in 2010 in South Africa

Timo Hidlebrand is 26 - 31 5 years from now

Tolsten Fringes will be 34 in 2010

Sebastain Deisler will be 29

Ballack 34

Kuranyi 28

Podolski 25

Asamaoh 32

so Germany will have a good experienced side to put on the field with many players at their peak

I'd say Frings and Ballack will be past it by 2010, but Schweinsteiger should be coming into his own by then.

Still, the only way Germany will win the World Cup in 2010 is if there are a seriously good crop of youngsters coming through now.

Ballack, Fringes and Klose would probably be playing the roles Kahn is now

Germany's front should be soldier for the next 5 years, its the back thats the problem, but Germany has one long history of good defenders, so put Podolski in front of them and you have a traditional German team

You mean being lucky and beating England on penalties?

this si the most successful of these tournements and is becoming more respected, i would think the tourney will be held 2 year from now where ever its being hosted

If that's the case, then which nation is hosting the 2007 edition?

If that's the case, then which nation is hosting the 2007 edition?

actually its been moved to a 4 year cycle, so next stop South Africa in 2009

actually its been moved to a 4 year cycle, so next stop South Africa in 2009

In other words, the Confederations Cup is nothing more than a "warm-up" event for the men's World Cup for the host nation the year later.

Archived