2005 FIFA Confederations Cup

It is less than a month before Germany hosts this European football tournament as a "warm-up" to the big one next year. The tournament itself starts on June 15th. and ends on June 29th. with the final match in Frankfurt. The following national teams have qualified in these 2 groups:

Group A: GERMANY, AUSTRALIA, ARGENTINA, TUNISIA

Group B: BRAZIL, GREECE, JAPAN, MEXICO

Here's the link to the official 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup site:

2005 FIFA Confederations Cup

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my predictions

Group One

Argentina

Germany

Tunisia

Australia

Group Two

Mexico

Brazil

Greece

Japan

Germany over Mexico

Brazil over Argentina

Brazil over Germany

• 3 weeks later...
3 more days to go before this "warm-up" event for Germany 2006 starts.

June 15th. matches (first day of the tournament):

- Argentina versus Tunisia

- Germany versus Australia

By the way, here's a BBC sports article about Tunisia in this context:

Tunisia Ready For Debut

Looking forward to watching Germany go round against Australia...first time they've met since the 74 World Cup, Australia are looking to build on recent good results with a team that is missing some of its stars, whilst Germany are probably looking to rebuild and blood some youngsters. I don't expect Australia to go past the first round, but let's not forget they beat France a few years back in a Confed Cup...

Seriously, I don't know what is the point of this excuse for money grabbing. It wouldn't surprise me if any of the "undergdogs" win, as Mexico won the cup back in 99 in a close final versus Brazil (but they were playing home in Mexico City).

BTW, Argentina defeated Tunisia in the first match.

June 15th. final scores:

Argentina: 2 - Tunisia: 1

Germany: 4 - Australia: 3

June 16th. matches:

- Japan vs. Mexico

- Brazil vs. Greece

Isn't the only real point of this event its use as a rehearsal for the organisers of the World Cup? It serves no footballing purpose whatsoever.

Correct; it is.  

I watched a newstory on it on BBC-US last nite; and it detailed the behind-the-scene preps going on.  Like -- and it's like getting ready for an invasion, FIFA apparently is requiring some 500 medical personnel to be on standby at each venue.  500?  Are they expecting riots?  

I know better safe than sorry; but that is a huge commitment on the German Red Cross' part.  (The RC will be supplying most of the medical personnel.)  So, approx 500 personnel standing by at each venue x 9 = so WC will have some 4,500 medical personnel standing by on days when all 9 venues will be in use.  God forbid you should suffer a heartattack on those days,

Matches will resume on June 19th. These are the upcoming match-ups:

- Mexico vs. Brazil

- Greece vs. Japan

Do or die for Greece and Japan, while I expect Brazil to beat Mexico.

This is going to be a great match, i hope mexico plays well and wins Brazil (lol i hope so)..i really looking foward to see this match..is going to be awsome1!!! :wwww:

OOPS!  :blush:

I need to get my eyes checked. It seems I didn't put yesterday's scores here because I didn't put down the schedule for those matches here. Here are the scores from yesterday:

Germany: 3 - Tunisia: zero

Argentina: 4 - Australia: 2

Archived