**spoilers** Opening Ceremony Content **spoilers**

No Ice, our national anthem is defined by three things, the English and French language, its simplicity and its orchestral composition. Don't mess with any of those. I want 65,000 Canadians singing along in BC to create a moving and powerful moment. I don't want some over the top POS. I loved watching Hu Jintao and Wen Jaibio singing along with the crowd.

I'm somewhat relieved -- since now it's becoming more probable again that there are at least two final torchbearers (if not two final torchbearer teams), one for each Vancouver cauldron.

And what did John Furlong say? "You can think about this as long as you’d like and you can think about the last moments of the ceremonies as long as you’d like and you’re not going to figure it out".

Well, my guess is Jamie Salé and David Pelletier or Cindy Klassen and Gaetan Boucher. Maybe together with representatives of the four host First Nations (that is probably what Furlong means with "you're not going to figure it out"...).

By the way, German TV channel ZDF showed some snippets from Wednesday's dress rehearsal just a couple of moments ago -- somehow it looked a little bit less impressive than the YouTube video but maybe only because the snippets were very short and consisted of only one camera angle each. Based on that preview, I can also leak the information

SPOILER

that the Canadian and the Olympic Flag will be hoisted on flagpoles à la Beijing -- with pressurised air being pushed out on the top so that the flags really fly -- even indoors.

I hope it's not Betty Fox, that would work a lot better for the Paralympics.

I say it should be Barbara Anne Scott - the first North American to win a medal in figure skating (she won gold for Canada) in St. Moritz in 1948. And she was the torch-bearer chosen to bring the flame into the House of Commons during its visit to Parliament Hill.

Most Canadians are not able to sing along their anthem correctly? What do you mean by that?

Canadians know their national anthem just fine, it's just when large, general audiences sing it people tend to waver off, start and stop at different times, and it just sounds messy and for the Olympics I think it would come off as rather anti-climactic. It's fine to have a couple lines helped along by an audience, but I prefer the solo singer when it comes to BIG events like this. Something that makes a statement and every word is clearly heard. B)

We already discussed that a couple of pages before. An insider claims it's 2.5 hours but actually, both the Torino and the Beijing opening ceremonies didn't take less than 3 hours. So it might be that the parade of nations was done much quicker in the dress rehearsals, since there were no athletes but only placeholder flagbearers.

Thanks and sorry for repeating...

That's what I thought, Beijing took more than 4 hours and only 2 hours and a half seem very little time. I suppose that it will be enough programing the DVD for recording 4 hours, from 3 to 7 a.m. here in Spain.

You're fooling yourself if you think that's going to happen again.

You will be amazed by what Vancouver will put on.

Actually, as an outsider looking into Canadian culture, the four first nations chiefs were indeed the redeeming factor of the Torino handover! They added the right touch to canada's fascinating origins!

Actually, as an outsider looking into Canadian culture, the four first nations chiefs were indeed the redeeming factor of the Torino handover! They added the right touch to canada's fascinating origins!

I agree, I also found the Vancouver 2010 handover at the Torino CC to be fascinating... it seems unfortunate to me that so man Canadians were embarrassed by the handover presentation. If you want to see a handover presentation that is truly embarrassing look up the atlanta 1996 handover at the closing ceremonies in Barcelona on YouTube... that was really an embarrassment. Yet the actual opening ceremony 4 years later was so great. (I was 13 years old in 1996 and there with my parents, I still remember it vividly today)

Oops! sorry for misleading you but I thought that Vancouver's handover was indeed lame. I was just responding to an earlier post in which someone remarked that they were ashamed of the first nations chiefs.

Ugh, no. It was embarrassing. Any one remember the Avril Lavigne performance? The first nation segments were great, but it's hard to make up a deficit made up by Avril.