**spoilers** Opening Ceremony Content **spoilers**

Watched clip again. The guy on wires 'running' thru the fields of 4 seasons is doing it to the pop song BOTH SIDES NOW...but it doesn't seem to be Joni Mitchell singing it (altho that's one of her signature songs...or am I thinking Judy Collins?)

And it seems there are more projections on the floor than on the ceiling.

I couldn't resist -- and I don't want to give anything away for those who don't want to see the video. Just this: Oh - my - God! Beijing can start packing. It's superb. It may sound unbelievable, but with less performers, Vancouver seems to achieve an even greater ceremony. Every segment in that video was stunning. Although I might sound overly enthusiastic now, but we can probably prepare for the best Olympic opening ceremony ever (although that's always a matter of personal taste, of course -- but I'm certain that many, many of you will like it). Now if you've become curious for the clip -- don't blame me. ;)

Seriously: I think one can watch the clip and still be dazzled and surprised when watching the whole ceremony tomorrow.

And by the way: I don't think that this thread should be closed. If you don't want to know any further spoilers, stay away. Simple as that.

While I would hardly say that "Beijing can start packing", I did see some pretty damn cool things in that clip (the whales and what they were doing anyone? It made me say "wow" out loud). I'm more excited to see the ceremony now than I ever was before.

Watched clip again. The guy on wires 'running' thru the fields of 4 seasons is doing it to the pop song BOTH SIDES NOW...but it doesn't seem to be Joni Mitchell singing it (altho that's one of her signature songs...or am I thinking Judy Collins?)

It is Joni Mitchell - the version of the song was in the movie "Love, Actually."

I recognized that song, thought it was kinda weird for the Olympics, but it sounded really cool and was neat with the imagery!

While I would hardly say that "Beijing can start packing"

As I said: If Vancouver is able to pull something at least equally stunning as Beijing's opening ceremony, but with less performers, it achieves something even bigger than Beijing's OC. One might sum it up with "less is more".

• Like 1

I dont want to watch it as well (and to be honest this guy should be ashamed of himself for killing the surprise), only watched the first few seconds which had the ice totems and i closed it.

No seriously. I suggest this thread should be closed now. I had enough back in 2006 when they purposely spoiled everything :blink:

Uh, I may be a newbie to this board, but is, or is not, this a "spoiler" thread? It say's spoiler, and assume we arn't talking about spoiled meet,

etc, rather we are talking about spoilers regarding the opening ceremonies....at least that is what the thread say's. So WHAT am I missing? :blink: I would think if one does not want to read spoilers....they would not be reading this thread?

I couldn't resist -- and I don't want to give anything away for those who don't want to see the video. Just this: Oh - my - God! Beijing can start packing. It's superb. It may sound unbelievable, but with less performers, Vancouver seems to achieve an even greater ceremony. Every segment in that video was stunning. Although I might sound overly enthusiastic now, but we can probably prepare for the best Olympic opening ceremony ever (although that's always a matter of personal taste, of course -- but I'm certain that many, many of you will like it). Now if you've become curious for the clip -- don't blame me. ;)

Seriously: I think one can watch the clip and still be dazzled and surprised when watching the whole ceremony tomorrow.

And by the way: I don't think that this thread should be closed. If you don't want to know any further spoilers, stay away. Simple as that.

I agree completely....and not just because I live here in Vancouver....blocks away from BC Place :P

I am getting tired of all the freaking security helicopters flying overhead my condo though. The security is way over-the-top, imo!

SPOILER (I guess)

This might actually belong to the cauldron thread but since it seems to reveal how the outdoor cauldron is lit, I rather post it here:

First of all, a time-lapse video of the outdoor cauldron being tested last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDLzayFDxiM

They seem to work a lot with coloured lightings and also with a spotlight -- the maker of the video speculates whether this could be for "a performance in front of the cauldron". Could be -- but that performance could also simply be the final torchbearer being in the spotlight while he lights the cauldron.

And now here's how the cauldron seems to be lit -- from the base, with the flame crawling up one of the "legs" of the cauldron. I've not figured out how the fire "jumps" to the other four legs and burners. But maybe they are lit automatically while only the mentioned leg is really lit by the original flame.

4349997776_637a05f12b_o_d.jpg

4349997222_53b2fbf9a7_o_d.jpg

4349997278_66e419aa49_o.jpg

Link to the respective Flickr photo page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimabrey67/

What pees me off is the version of O Canada. Really pisses me off--totally unable to sing along. WTF is the point of having an anthem geared to singing along if some eejit's gonna re-arrange it into something IMPOSSIBLE to sing along to?

• Like 4

Here is a link to a ceremony preview from Nine network in Australia... at around 0:25 there is about 15 seconds of film from the rehearsal showing what the ceremony will look like n tv with several new scenes including a native person surrounded by light, the camera following the olympic flag into the stadium.. and some other stuff from the infamous youtube video but at floor level broadcast quality..

Nine ceremony preview

I must be the only one to say this, but I don't like when everybody feels compelled to sing along because the overwhelming majority of people don't sing along CORRECTLY. It just sounds garbled and weird! I for one LOVE having a version where every word is going to be loud and clear, and VERY dramatic. Yeah yeah yeah it's a variation, but it's MEMORABLE. It's not like they went out and changed the lyrics or anything :P

Nevermind, those were fireworks going off when the torch relay arrived at Downtown. Man, those were massive bangs...much louder than the fireworks I normally hear from our annual fireworks festival in Downtown.

I must be the only one to say this, but I don't like when everybody feels compelled to sing along because the overwhelming majority of people don't sing along CORRECTLY. It just sounds garbled and weird! I for one LOVE having a version where every word is going to be loud and clear, and VERY dramatic. Yeah yeah yeah it's a variation, but it's MEMORABLE. It's not like they went out and changed the lyrics or anything :P

Most Canadians are not able to sing along their anthem correctly? What do you mean by that? I never thought that the lyrics, rhythm or melody of "O Canada" are very difficult -- but rather very catchy. Even I as a foreigner am sometimes singing quietly along when I hear it on television -- or YouTube, as here in my absolute favourite national anthem video:

They could have had the previous arrangement or this one (although this is only an instrumental one) -- and it would have been perfect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0jhJA1Hjxk

But oh well, I'll let surprise myself. You Canadians have one of the most beautiful national anthems in the world anyway -- it's practically impossible to butcher it. At least as long as they don't have Ben Heppner belting it again, as in Vancouver's Torino handover. ;)